2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Have Found It!
JVM
Aug 10 2008, 06:30 AM
Learning Roadie
At long last, I've found the exact guitar I'm looking for. The carvin ct3. Look at the one with the maple neck in the picture (if you don't see it hit refresh). With some fine tuning of the specifics I think this might be my perfect guitar. I've been looking for a dual humbucker, mahogany body, maple neck and fretboard, hard tail guitar of high quality and a nice finish for a while.. they're hard to find tongue.gif What do you guys think, and what do you think of the pickup options? I don't know much about Carvin's, except that everyone has told me they make great gear.

Also, besides just the pickups, what would you guys suggest for the most balanced tone options? It'd be a mahogany body with a maple neck and fingerboard, what kind of carved top should I put on it and what pickups should I get for a guitar that can do jazz to metal?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 10 2008, 04:51 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swingline
Aug 10 2008, 07:20 AM
GMC:er
She's a beauty and seems like it plays equally well. I've always found mahogany to be a very versatile wood for guitars, and maple necks are awesome, but as for pickups I'm not way too much help.

P.S. I just noticed its 8.25 lbs, Its probably has a nice warm, fat tone with sustain like no ones business.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by swingline: Aug 10 2008, 07:29 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 10 2008, 07:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Thinking about the carved top - for which I'd need to get a ct4, wouldn't having an all maple neck balance out vs having a mahogany and rosewood neck connected to a mahogany/maple top body? Either way maple is my neck wood of choice.

[edit] By the way check out some of the great looking custom ct3's people have done. I think I'd like to try and replicate paint job on "dave terry's", but then "baimun's" looks very good too. Hmmm...

This post has been edited by JVM: Aug 10 2008, 07:34 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
swingline
Aug 10 2008, 08:45 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 9 2008, 11:30 PM) *
Thinking about the carved top - for which I'd need to get a ct4, wouldn't having an all maple neck balance out vs having a mahogany and rosewood neck connected to a mahogany/maple top body? Either way maple is my neck wood of choice.

[edit] By the way check out some of the great looking custom ct3's people have done. I think I'd like to try and replicate paint job on "dave terry's", but then "baimun's" looks very good too. Hmmm...

When you say "balance out" do you mean weight wise, because the maple will definitely help the back heaviness, but I'm not sure how much. If it is of concern go with the carved top, that will greatly help.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
bubbalicious
Aug 10 2008, 09:58 AM
that is a beaut i would go for one but im saving up

--------------------
my gear;

guitars:epiphone x-ploror
epiphone sg special (hopeing to remake it)
caliber strat copie
oakman acoustic
amps:mega 15 watt(crap)
line 6 spider 2 30 watt
pedals:zoom pedal board
line6 fx switcher
recording:line 6 toneport gx

check out my practice agenda

+Quote Post
inertia
Aug 10 2008, 03:59 PM
wow those customs look great, look a lot like PRS

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 10 2008, 04:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (swingline @ Aug 10 2008, 03:45 AM) *
When you say "balance out" do you mean weight wise, because the maple will definitely help the back heaviness, but I'm not sure how much. If it is of concern go with the carved top, that will greatly help.

I meant tone wise, but I suppose weight is a consideration too. Mahogany is a pretty heavy wood as well, though not as heavy as maple. I have a maple neck on a hard ash body with my strat, it balances out pretty well and I think hard ash and mahogany are nearly comparable weight wise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 10 2008, 04:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Looks like a realy nice guitar. Good sustain probably, due to the string through body!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 10 2008, 04:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 10 2008, 11:43 AM) *
Looks like a realy nice guitar. Good sustain probably, due to the string through body!

Yeah. I'm more of a hardtail guy, I almost never use the tremolo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Aug 10 2008, 06:24 PM
Instructor
Got two carvins, they are amazing guitars, one is a 1986 DC200, and the other is a 2005 Bolt on. The guitar fells and sound great but the pickups deliver something quite different of what you can expect for the way I sounds acousticly.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 10 2008, 08:29 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Looks like a nice guitar smile.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Aug 11 2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor
Looks very nice indeed, I fell in love with the one on the top of the page, the one that has that "silverburst" kind of finish. But all in all every guitar on that page looks brilliant! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 11 2008, 06:09 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gerardo Siere @ Aug 10 2008, 01:24 PM) *
Got two carvins, they are amazing guitars, one is a 1986 DC200, and the other is a 2005 Bolt on. The guitar fells and sound great but the pickups deliver something quite different of what you can expect for the way I sounds acousticly.

Can you elaborate on the pickups?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2008, 05:10 PM
Instructor
If it has mahogany body and maple neck, it would sound very bright and brittle. You should but some bassy pups in to give it more low end. From jazz to metal - JB pickup is the very cool, but trebly, so it would be wise to check with Seymor DUncan mail support to really choose the best you need.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 11 2008, 05:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 11 2008, 12:10 PM) *
If it has mahogany body and maple neck, it would sound very bright and brittle. You should but some bassy pups in to give it more low end. From jazz to metal - JB pickup is the very cool, but trebly, so it would be wise to check with Seymor DUncan mail support to really choose the best you need.

But would it sound as bright as a maple neck to an ash body? I'd think probably it'd have more bottom end than that, right? I'm talking about my strat. I'm kind of aiming for it to be a compromise between the way my strat feels and the way my 'paul sounds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Aug 11 2008, 10:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 11 2008, 02:09 AM) *
Can you elaborate on the pickups?

Yes you can get a lot of diferent tones with the pick ups.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 12 2008, 01:18 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gerardo Siere @ Aug 11 2008, 05:22 PM) *
Yes you can get a lot of diferent tones with the pick ups.

Good. I assume the 2005 guitar you have would probably have similar if not the same pickups to the ones I'd be getting, which would be the C22's I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 12 2008, 01:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 11 2008, 06:14 PM) *
But would it sound as bright as a maple neck to an ash body? I'd think probably it'd have more bottom end than that, right? I'm talking about my strat. I'm kind of aiming for it to be a compromise between the way my strat feels and the way my 'paul sounds.

I'm really not sure what to say man. If the wood is denser and heavier, sound is more brighter because vibrations from strings don't get soaked up by the wood. So my guess (and it is only a guess I'm not an expert in area of guitar building), sound will be bright. But as I said it is only a guess cause I can't tell with certain what kind of sound this guitar will produce with new pups. My guess JB will be fine for bridge although it can be a little trebly.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 12 2008, 04:47 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 11 2008, 08:39 PM) *
I'm really not sure what to say man. If the wood is denser and heavier, sound is more brighter because vibrations from strings don't get soaked up by the wood. So my guess (and it is only a guess I'm not an expert in area of guitar building), sound will be bright. But as I said it is only a guess cause I can't tell with certain what kind of sound this guitar will produce with new pups. My guess JB will be fine for bridge although it can be a little trebly.

Well yeah, but mahogany isn't generally associated with a bright tone.. you just have me a little confused. The maple should be bright and trebly, but the mahogany will be a warmer bassier tone as I understand it so it should balance out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 12 2008, 07:55 AM
Instructor
Good for you man! Looks great:)

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:46 AM