Picking Ache
Blaze
Jan 23 2008, 12:03 AM
GMC:er
I've been working on my alt picking trying to increase my alt picing now after about an hour of it my shoulder is starting to ache. Is this because of the long picking workout or because I've been putting stress on my arm instead of relaxing without realising it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JesseS
Jan 23 2008, 12:06 AM
Just whatever you do make sure you don't tense up your elbow because it will kill your arm and elbow later on and you will have a high chance to get tendinitis. just clock your metronome down and work with something a little tiring but nothing that isn't difficult.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 23 2008, 01:14 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I also recommend u to stretch before , during and after your playing, stretching as well as in sports prevents injuries.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 23 2008, 01:17 AM
also dont practice rapid runs and extremely fast stuff before warming up. It is important to warm up correctly before attempting to practice fast stuff.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 23 2008, 01:34 AM
Instructor
You must not tense your muscels. Practice slow, and when you see that you shoulders are being fatigued just stop, have a massage and contiune when the pain is completelly gone. DON'T ever play fatigued.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Maximus
Jan 23 2008, 01:44 AM
99% of all injuries and/or aches and pains related to small scale repetitive movements are due to tension paired with abnormal movement or positioning. As Ivan said, you should practice slow until you feel the relaxation throughout all parts of your arm. Playing too fast, too soon tends to tighten everything up. This usually results in jacking your shoulder up too high which is a completely unnatural position to be held for any length of time. Doing this for a long period of time can lead to actual damage and much more serious problems down the line. I see this in my patients quite frequently and all of them wish they had done the small changes in the beginning to avoid the real pain now. Good Luck.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
kahall
Jan 23 2008, 04:44 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Blaze @ Jan 22 2008, 05:03 PM) *
I've been working on my alt picking trying to increase my alt picing now after about an hour of it my shoulder is starting to ache. Is this because of the long picking workout or because I've been putting stress on my arm instead of relaxing without realising it?

If you have not been playing long you will figure out how to relax and your body will get used to the new things you are doing. Then if you are like me it will be how do I keep my leg from falling asleep without playing standing up? Get a lighter guitar?

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:36 PM