8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
V-picks! Satriani And Santana Are Now Using Them!, Best pick out there IMO
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2008, 09:44 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 31 2008, 04:27 PM) *
Brian May used some British coin to play with.

yep it is a sixpence supposedly, and if its good enough for him ...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 31 2008, 09:59 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 31 2008, 03:44 PM) *
yep it is a sixpence supposedly, and if its good enough for him ...

you know, I thought, "I am going to look this up, finally going to look up British coins". Like last week, this great big cockroach flew into my open door, and I captured him in a jar and put him out, but decided "I am going to finally look up cockroaches", and I found there are 3 types in my area, and the one I caught was a male Oriental Cockroach, and the big Brown ones are American Cockroaches, and the little brown ones are German, so I learned all that. So this time I was going to learn about British coins....

but wow, there are sure a lot more British coin types than there are Kansas cockroaches. No way I can learn all that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2008, 11:49 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 31 2008, 04:59 PM) *
you know, I thought, "I am going to look this up, finally going to look up British coins". Like last week, this great big cockroach flew into my open door, and I captured him in a jar and put him out, but decided "I am going to finally look up cockroaches", and I found there are 3 types in my area, and the one I caught was a male Oriental Cockroach, and the big Brown ones are American Cockroaches, and the little brown ones are German, so I learned all that. So this time I was going to learn about British coins....

but wow, there are sure a lot more British coin types than there are Kansas cockroaches. No way I can learn all that.

smile.gif You will no doubt be hampered by the fact that the UK changed them all in 1970 and went decimal. The sixpence is pre-1970 but was legal tender for years afterwards, worth 2.5 pence. Its about the size of a dime, maybe a little smaller.

Oh, and right after I ordered my V picks I had a nice email from Mrs V (Nancy) asking where we heard about them, I told her GMC, and she said she had had quite a few orders from there and to thank everyone and she also visited to check on us - she says to tell you its all true smile.gif

Hi there Mrs V if you check back on us again!

I'll let you know what I think when I get mine.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Jul 31 2008, 11:55 PM
ENOUGH ALREADY! I'll get some...

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 1 2008, 05:44 AM
QUOTE (Bedlam @ Jul 31 2008, 05:55 PM) *
ENOUGH ALREADY! I'll get some...

One thing about them that I had not realized, was the acoustic sound of them. If your read my posts here, I went from being a total skeptic to a serious advocate. my old pick is good in its own way, but first thing I notice when I try my old ones, the sound of it is not as good as the v pick, the v picks really have a pretty ping to them. sort of like the tingle of glass is the best I can describe it. yes, very crystal like.

I am thinking about trying the thin ones also, but I expect there is a reason most prefer the thicker ones. but next time I order, I probably will try some of the thin ones just for kicks. I will keep my mind open on style of pick, maybe one day I will prefer a pointed one. but not now, I like the rounded now. The diamond is semi rounded, that may be ideal, will see when I get them. I am taking the guy who recommended them here's word on that.

QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 31 2008, 12:52 PM) *
I'm gonna order some but they all seem to be really thick or rounded, and i'm looking for something bout 1mm (to keep my picking movement small) that's pointed (for easier PH). Does it say anywhere how thick the screamer is?

they have the lite versions, that are thin. I will try them some time, but I highly suspect that once most you get used to the thicker ones, you won't want to use the thin. the edge is beveled, the body is thick, not the edge. I suspect the pinging crystal like sound comes with the thicker pick to more of a degree. i very quickly have grown to love that sound. you can tremolo pick with speed and clarity with the rounded ones, so you certainly can with the pointed ones.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 1 2008, 08:02 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 31 2008, 03:49 AM) *
I got mine, a couple rounded medium, and a screamer.

They are pretty nice. You definitely should try these, I would say get a medium rounded, and if you feel you might want a pointy one, either a screamer or one of the pointed ones. Crisp attack and silky smooth on the rounded, probably my favorite. Although i will probably use the pointy screamer some. I have this other pick I really like, an obscure one (I bought 30 of them for about $25 awhile back). But these v-picks are nice, and I am sure I will use them. Like I use the Dava nickel, even though it is not my main squeeze.

edit: I am not saying the v-pick won't become my top pick, that is very possible. we will see. and I am pretty particular. other than my long time favorite, and the Dava nickel, and these v-picks, all others suck, and I have a container filled with all of them. v-picks are certainly worth ordering.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 1 2008, 12:49 AM) *
smile.gif You will no doubt be hampered by the fact that the UK changed them all in 1970 and went decimal. The sixpence is pre-1970 but was legal tender for years afterwards, worth 2.5 pence. Its about the size of a dime, maybe a little smaller.

Oh, and right after I ordered my V picks I had a nice email from Mrs V (Nancy) asking where we heard about them, I told her GMC, and she said she had had quite a few orders from there and to thank everyone and she also visited to check on us - she says to tell you its all true smile.gif

Hi there Mrs V if you check back on us again!

I'll let you know what I think when I get mine.

I had similar experiences.
Ordered 10 Screamers and got a Medium Rounded as a bonus with the leather pouch a couple of days ago smile.gif
Smooth delivery. 7 days from order to my swedish mailbox.

I must say I love these picks. They have everything I missed on my current picks, orange BRAINs. I wanted them thicker and bigger. Except one thing. The grip. Like superize said the grip isn't what I expected, I really miss the grip I have on BRAIN.

Of the two models I got I like the Screamer better, it fits me perfect. Maybe the rounded would be the best choise for chords and "galloping", I haven't tried the rounded all that much yet.
I like the thickness, shape and size of the screamer. As fkalich I like the attack and smothness of them. They are ... (smidiga) "agile"? I was afraid they would feel big and clumpsy but they are not. On the contrary.

I will play alot with them now and after using them for awhile I will know if the grip of the BRAIN is more important than the feel of the V-Pick to me.
I'll try to mod one too, to get a rougher surface. Haven't decided which method to use for that yet.

I got a nice mail too from Mrs V, asking how I found out about them. That was a pleasent surprise smile.gif

Thanks Mr and Mrs V. You have a great product and it was a pleasure to order from you.
*waves at the V family*

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
stickyfingers
Aug 1 2008, 08:23 AM
i ordered some screamers yesterday smile.gif

i told Mrs. V. about gmc as well. Perhaps we get a gmc discount for future orders. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Equip:
Ibanez RG 570
Ibanez RG 547
Boss GT-10
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Ibanez WD7
Fender Deluxe 112 Reverb

+Quote Post
javari
Aug 1 2008, 09:20 AM
I sugested to Mrs V. that they give one of their complete sets to GMC as s price for one of the competitions. smile.gif
Since they must have doubled their business by now with all these orders from GMC members.

They should do someting in return laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Fender US standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Amps: Fender Princeton Recording Amp, H&K Statesman Dual EL84
Effects: Pod XT, Keeley TS808, Keeley DS-1, RAT

+Quote Post
holoshreder
Aug 1 2008, 09:21 AM
Cool thx dude just ordered 3 Screamers

--------------------
MEN! BANG YOUR HEAD...MEN! WAKE THE DEAD!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 1 2008, 09:24 AM
Instructor
I'm sorry but I don't believe in miracles tongue.gif

I used lot of different picks and now I have... ehem... maybe 800 custom picks so I don't want to try this V-picks... can you imagine what would it happens if I love this V-picks !!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 1 2008, 09:37 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Aug 1 2008, 02:02 AM) *
Of the two models I got I like the Screamer better, it fits me perfect. Maybe the rounded would be the best choise for chords and "galloping", I haven't tried the rounded all that much yet.
I like the thickness, shape and size of the screamer. As fkalich I like the attack and smothness of them. They are ... (smidiga) "agile"? I was afraid they would feel big and clumpsy but they are not. On the contrary.

consider the way some of us hold the pick, you know, thumb and index finger tip horizontal to strings, holding pick with thumb and side of index finger, pick stunk in there, with just the bare tip exposed. I assume you don't do this, if you have slippage. it could have pig fat on it, it would not slip on me because of how I hold the pick. it was weird at first a year and a half ago, but soon I could not imagine holding a pick in any other fashion. I really believe it would be like that for nearly everybody here. Andrew changed to this way and I think feels the same way, as does MickeM.

The rounded works fine for me playing fast stuff. I like that best. But I have a screamer and think I will use that also. I just hold it a bit looser, that is the difference to me, but you get a sharper tone. The diamond will be interesting, as that is supposed to be sort of half way between pointed and rounded. But you can play past, really good tremolo picking, using the rounded, and get good clarity.

QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Aug 1 2008, 03:24 AM) *
I'm sorry but I don't believe in miracles tongue.gif

I used lot of different picks and now I have... ehem... maybe 800 custom picks so I don't want to try this V-picks... can you imagine what would it happens if I love this V-picks !!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

you sound like me in my first post. i give you half a day before you bite.

+Quote Post
InThePast
Aug 1 2008, 09:47 AM
ordered mine the other day got some screamers , cant wait till they arrive that grip on them looks awesome

--------------------

Signature By:Me

Guitars:Ibanez RG370 , Ashton SG131
Amp:Shitty Ashton Practice
Effects:DODFX7 , Bad Monkey , JackHammer , TonePort UX1 , Pocket Pod

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 1 2008, 10:07 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 1 2008, 10:37 AM) *
consider the way some of us hold the pick, you know, thumb and index finger tip horizontal to strings, holding pick with thumb and side of index finger, pick stunk in there, with just the bare tip exposed. I assume you don't do this, if you have slippage. it could have pig fat on it, it would not slip on me because of how I hold the pick. it was weird at first a year and a half ago, but soon I could not imagine holding a pick in any other fashion. I really believe it would be like that for nearly everybody here. Andrew changed to this way and I think feels the same way, as does MickeM.

The rounded works fine for me playing fast stuff. I like that best. But I have a screamer and think I will use that also. I just hold it a bit looser, that is the difference to me, but you get a sharper tone. The diamond will be interesting, as that is supposed to be sort of half way between pointed and rounded. But you can play past, really good tremolo picking, using the rounded, and get good clarity.

you sound like me in my first post. i give you half a day before you bite.

Thanks.
I hold it close to that, but not exactly like it. I've tried but never got comfortable with it. After playing awhile the pick is back into my normal position.
I'll follow your advice though and seeif I can re-learn and if I like that better with these picks.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 1 2008, 01:17 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 1 2008, 04:37 AM) *
Andrew changed to this way and I think feels the same way, as does MickeM.

Yes - I was thinking about this the other day and I think I have isolated the key factor, for me at least.

Before I held the pick more so that it emerged from the end of my fingers, and I used 2 fingers and thumb instead of 1 finger and thumb. The biggest change I have found is that the pick is a lot more stable in the new position, and I found that after a month or 2 of this new position, all the tension left my picking hand. That was tension that I didn't even know was there, but tension that had been holding me back for years! I now have a nicely relaxed picking hand, and relaxation is the key to fast and accurate playing, so for me the most important effect was indirect and took a while to kick in - now I would never go back. I try it occasionally and it feels weird and uncontrolled ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
timono
Aug 1 2008, 06:11 PM
just orderd my v-picks biggrin.gif

can't wait for them to come, hope they come fast smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550 EGK Presige, Essex wannabe Gibson guitar (don't know the full name), Alhambra acoustic guitar

Amps: Marshall MG 50DFX, Evans sound creator (50 watt), Orange crush 10

Effect pedals: Korg AX1500G

record stuff: Line 6 toneport UX1

Piano: Yamaha P-85

Wishlist:

Ibanez Jem 7V!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 1 2008, 07:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ordered tongue.gif I ordered a Screamer and a Medium Rounded V-Pick. they'll be here in somethingn like a week. Mr. V also responds fast tongue.gif You'll get a respond on the mail the next day smile.gif We probably are their biggest consumers, if they can be so fast wink.gif That'd be fun, maybe we're starting a hype laugh.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 1 2008, 08:09 PM
ordered the fab 4. Let's see how they turn out and if they can replace the dunlops I've been using the past year.

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Aug 1 2008, 09:22 PM
Sounds cool. I've been using dunlop tortexes for a while now, and these seem cool. Might have to order some to see how they work.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Aug 1 2008, 11:07 PM
Ordered, hopefully peer pressure in this case is good! laugh.gif wink.gif

I ordered a Screamer, Medium Rounded, Large Pointed(Closest to what I use now), Small Pointed, and a Diamond.

I'm stoked to see what a 10$ pick plays like, I've used the 3.0mm Dunlop Jazz picks, and I wasn't the biggest fan of it, but apparently these are good for strumming, rhythm, and lead, so I can't wait!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 1 2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor
I got my 5 screamers today biggrin.gif
They were bigger than i thought and i got a bit worried when i first picked one up.... but 5 minutes later it was my new fav. pick smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:07 AM