How To Make Backing Tracks....?
ezravdb
Jun 8 2007, 02:43 PM
GMC:er
Hey folks

Are there any people who are familiar with recording backing tracks themselfs? (andrew? rolleyes.gif )

I'm trying to figure out how to do it with Reaper but I don't know ho to record Drums and bass.
Specially because I don't own a drumkit and a bass... XD

So does anyone have any tips on software or how to make it in general??

thanks for any help

laters, Ezra

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 8 2007, 02:53 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Something like EZDrummer or that other drum plug in, can't recall it's name. Will help you with good drums.
EZDrummer

And a Bass plug in, like Broomstick Bass or Virtual Bass.
Broomstick Bass

That's a couple of examples, there are moore if you look around.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 8 2007, 02:58 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 8 2007, 02:58 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jun 8 2007, 09:43 AM) *
Hey folks

Are there any people who are familiar with recording backing tracks themselfs? (andrew? rolleyes.gif )

I'm trying to figure out how to do it with Reaper but I don't know ho to record Drums and bass.
Specially because I don't own a drumkit and a bass... XD

So does anyone have any tips on software or how to make it in general??

thanks for any help

laters, Ezra

Option 1, buy a drumkit, learn to play it. but a multitrack sudio interface, buy 10 microphones. Then buy a bass. Learn to play it.

Option 2 .... tada MIDI and Virtual instruments!

This is a complex subject, so bear with me.

MIDI is a way of recording music data as digital information. It is not sounds, it is more like commands, For instance "Play the note of C and hold it for 1 second". It was developed to allow hardware sequencers to control synthesizers, in the early 80s I think.

Fast forward 25 years to 2007. We now have computers powerful enough that amongst other things they can run synthesizer software, we call them Virtual Instruments. One particular standard for this is VSTi by Steinberg (the Cubase people).

To put this all together, you need a VSTi host (like Reaper!) and some VSTi instruments to use. Repaer will run the VSTi for you, and you will use Reapers MIDI editor to program the individual drum hits and bass notes you want to use to put your backing track together. Some VSTis come with libraries, so for instance instead of programming every drum hit, you can get a whole drum beat which is easier.

So basically you have some of what you need already.

Reaper comes with some basic VSTis, one is a drum machine, called ReaSynDrum but I couldn't get it to work. There are also many free VSTs out there, and some high quality expensive ones.

For Drums I use Toontracks EZ Drummer, for bass I use Bournemark Broomstick bass - there may be freeware equivalents of these, just google for "FREE VST" or similar.

When you have all of this setup the fun really starts smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jun 8 2007, 02:59 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jun 8 2007, 03:55 PM
Does it sound just like Guitar Pro RSE or More "real" ?

because I have stuff from my song in GP already.

THanks Andrew and Mickem Great Posts!!!

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Jun 8 2007, 04:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 8 2007, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jun 8 2007, 10:55 AM) *

THanks Andrew Great Post!!!

Way more real - this is the real deal dude. Listen to my Remembering Amanda track - the only real instruments on that are the lead guitar, and the rythm guitar in the chorus. Even the nylon acoustic guitar is a VST.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jun 8 2007, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 8 2007, 04:58 PM) *
Way more real - this is the real deal dude. Listen to my Remembering Amanda track - the only real instruments on that are the lead guitar, and the rythm guitar in the chorus. Even the nylon acoustic guitar is a VST.

KICK ASS!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 8 2007, 04:10 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jun 8 2007, 10:55 AM) *

THanks Andrew and Mickem Great Posts!!!

Also, if you have backing tracks in GP - you can exprt them as a MIDI file, import into reaper, hook them up to a VST and it will save you some work.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jun 8 2007, 04:14 PM
I have a free drum plugin and a bass plugin called, Drumatic 3 and 4front.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 8 2007, 05:10 PM) *
Also, if you have backing tracks in GP - you can exprt them as a MIDI file, import into reaper, hook them up to a VST and it will save you some work.

hey ill try that out!

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Jun 8 2007, 04:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jun 8 2007, 09:28 PM
Andrew: You asked for a quality recording of Pentacrazy and Here it is biggrin.gif
/m/

Have Fun!!!!

Pity that the hi hats dont work on the drums >_>

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Jun 8 2007, 09:30 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  _Ezravdb___Pentacrazy_.mp3 ( 1.99MB ) Number of downloads: 118

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 8 2007, 09:37 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jun 8 2007, 04:28 PM) *
Andrew: You asked for a quality recording of Pentacrazy and Here it is biggrin.gif
/m/

Have Fun!!!!

Pity that the hi hats dont work on the drums >_>

Pretty cool for a first multitrack recording, well done!

TO fix the hi-hats, you might need to move the midi notes around- they don;t always map to the same notes between different drum machines.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jun 8 2007, 10:31 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 8 2007, 10:37 PM) *
Pretty cool for a first multitrack recording, well done!

TO fix the hi-hats, you might need to move the midi notes around- they don;t always map to the same notes between different drum machines.

Thanks Andrew, multitrack recording is difficult (at first atleast!) but its helllotta fun!

What do you mean with "move around" ?
Do I have to try other drum vsts?

Btw, Does anyone knows how to record a video on the computer with the audio from reaper?
So you I've for example a 2 tracks in Reaper, backing and lead set for recording.

When I want to record video with my webcam I have to choose between my pod (thats lead guitar)
or something else.
Can I also use the audio from Reaper directly on the video (which has backtrack AND lead guitar)
when recording or do I have to copy and paste later on, or just buy a camcorder with mic-in?

Hope that makes sense

laters, E.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 8 2007, 11:12 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jun 8 2007, 05:31 PM) *
What do you mean with "move around" ?
Do I have to try other drum vsts?

I'm talking about trying to gt your existing midi track (from gp) to work with your drum plugin.

Each type of hit is defined by a note. You might have A3 (A in the 3rd octave) for a kick, and B3 for a hi-hat hit. Sometimes which note makes which sound varies between drum machines and VSTs. So I am saying that you might need to adjust the midi created by GP5 to work wit your drum machine, by identifying which of the notes are the hihats, then selecting them and moving them all ap and down a few notes until they trigger the right sound.

Hope that is a little clearer, glad you are enjoying the multitracking smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jun 8 2007, 11:12 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jun 9 2007, 12:52 PM
yes thats clear smile.gif
Ill try it

--------------------

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jun 9 2007, 07:31 PM
Good topic. I'll be picking up EZDrummer and Broomstick Bass.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:09 PM