Help With Picking A Great Gig Rig
guitarz
Jun 2 2022, 02:20 AM
GMC:er
Hello, I am new here and would like some advice on a great gig rig. I have a Mesa Boogie JP 2C at home, but that rig is too heavy and big to hall around. With all the new smaller, lighter weight equipment, what's best for under $2000.00. I have a Headrush 8 inch powered speaker cab and a one year old PodGo, but would like to upgrade to a pro rig. I have been looking at a Fractal fm 3 or fm 9. I do not need a Axe Fx 3, that is too much for my needs. Thanks for the help

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 2 2022, 02:39 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (guitarz @ Jun 2 2022, 02:20 AM) *
Hello, I am new here and would like some advice on a great gig rig. I have a Mesa Boogie JP 2C at home, but that rig is too heavy and big to hall around. With all the new smaller, lighter weight equipment, what's best for under $2000.00. I have a Headrush 8 inch powered speaker cab and a one year old PodGo, but would like to upgrade to a pro rig. I have been looking at a Fractal fm 3 or fm 9. I do not need a Axe Fx 3, that is too much for my needs. Thanks for the help

first off, the pod go should be new enough it has all the Helix models , what about it is limiting you.. If you can get your hands on a Fm9 , next a line 6 helix and then a headrush as your speaker will work with all 3 , if you are only running a single guitar the headrush has plenty for anything you need , if you might run more than just 1 guitar =step up to helix
and all 3 can easily be paired with your amp should you ever want to do that . I am at the stage when I play live I want simple and easy

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
guitarz
Jun 2 2022, 03:10 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 2 2022, 01:39 AM) *
first off, the pod go should be new enough it has all the Helix models , what about it is limiting you.. If you can get your hands on a Fm9 , next a line 6 helix and then a headrush as your speaker will work with all 3 , if you are only running a single guitar the headrush has plenty for anything you need , if you might run more than just 1 guitar =step up to helix
and all 3 can easily be paired with your amp should you ever want to do that . I am at the stage when I play live I want simple and easy

I like the best sound I can get my hands on. Yes, the PodGo sounds good with the GGD Zilla cabs IRs I have installed, but the PodGo still does not sound like my JP 2C. I want the best I can afford. I bought the PodGo to save money, I do not have lots of money, but I like good equipment. I know great rig does not make me play better( that is up to me to work harder). A great rig help develop your sound and feel, I have played for 47 years and used some run down gear over the years, but this new stuff sounds really good and not only the sound, but the feel. Your fingers make the tone and dynamics, a great rig sure helps. I am 61 years old and will not carry heavy equipment around anymore. Thank you for your advice, I am just looking for what the future has to offer.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 2 2022, 07:19 AM
GMC Founder
Interesting topic - I can't say I have much experience of backup rigs so I will follow it closely.

Have you considered the Tech 21 Flygig.? I always told myself that if I were in your situation that's the pedal I would go for. The only problem is...

I haven't tested it yet 😅

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 3 2022, 01:36 AM
I thought the kotzen fly rig was quite spiff and very light!

however, imho, the best pound for pound rig at the moment is the original Ampero or Ampero 1 with the wah/volume pedal built in Does everything and has touch screen and software editor. Ampero 2 is too slow with patch changes for live use.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 3 2022, 01:37 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 3 2022, 09:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (guitarz @ Jun 2 2022, 03:10 AM) *
I like the best sound I can get my hands on. Yes, the PodGo sounds good with the GGD Zilla cabs IRs I have installed, but the PodGo still does not sound like my JP 2C. I want the best I can afford. I bought the PodGo to save money, I do not have lots of money, but I like good equipment. I know great rig does not make me play better( that is up to me to work harder). A great rig help develop your sound and feel, I have played for 47 years and used some run down gear over the years, but this new stuff sounds really good and not only the sound, but the feel. Your fingers make the tone and dynamics, a great rig sure helps. I am 61 years old and will not carry heavy equipment around anymore. Thank you for your advice, I am just looking for what the future has to offer.

sound like you want the Fm9 , I do too , I would go with the helix . One thing to look for is what are other gravitating towards and there is a reason for that . I have an ampero one and it barely gets me through A gig , does not have great in/out options and you are stuck where the effect sites and as soon as I get to something I really like it overloads which leaves me leaving a sound out.. there this .

Man , now you got me all 'G.A.S. ed , if I buy anything , i am blaming you

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jun 3 2022, 10:39 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 4 2022, 03:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 3 2022, 09:41 PM) *
sound like you want the Fm9 , I do too , I would go with the helix . One thing to look for is what are other gravitating towards and there is a reason for that . I have an ampero one and it barely gets me through A gig , does not have great in/out options and you are stuck where the effect sites and as soon as I get to something I really like it overloads which leaves me leaving a sound out.. there this .

this would run a cabinet

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2022, 11:04 PM
The FM9 is a great unit to be sure. FM9 doesn't have a touch screen though. I would not suggest the ampero II even though it fixes the issue of not enough DSP, the patch changes are too slow.

However, at youre price range of 2k, you can skip the Ampero or buy three of them for backups. Just get a helix floor/kemper floor/axe fx floor unit and bam smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 3 2022, 04:41 PM) *
sound like you want the Fm9 , I do too , I would go with the helix . One thing to look for is what are other ..

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 5 2022, 04:22 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 11:02 PM