Legato Tips?
TreyDeschamp
Mar 17 2013, 05:14 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Todd!

You are our shred master so I thought I'd ask for some advice?

What is a good way to build legato as well as strengthen the pinky finger?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 17 2013, 05:37 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
The only way to develop is practice. smile.gif I have improved my legato (3rd 4th finger independence) by practicing Ben's Land of Legato series. You might want to give it a go. If its too fast fo you, try on a very slow tempo. Its not necessary that you do it on tempo to improve this technique. The slower you do, eventually will help you do it faster. That is what I have learnt. When I began legato some 18 years back, I didn't take into account the independence issue and hence, it wasn't so clear when I played legato (Joe Satch stuff). Later I discovered that my 3rd and 4th finger didn't play well separately. They tend to go together and pull off's were faster than hammer ons.

Just thought I would share my bad experience. Here is the lesson and you can see other series from Ben too. #3 is absolutely crazy. It helps strengthen your fingers as well..

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2013, 06:25 AM
GMC:er
Hey smile.gif Always try to shoot me a PM if possible so I"ll know a question is pointed at me smile.gif Otherwise I might miss it as there are wads and wads of posts!

Great question smile.gif I hate to sound like a broken record here, but the short answer is of course PRACTICE!!!! As for working specifically on the pinky, try doing ....

"Pinky Bounces" Using only the pinky and the first finger. Hammer on and pull off with the pinky on say the high E 7th fret and first finger fifth fret. No picking. Hammer pull with left hand only.

Then move up one fret with your pinky. So 8th and hammer pull to fith fret. Play four hammer/pulls at each position and see how far you can stretch your pinky.

Also, we do TONS of this type of work in my Saturday Lessons and in my Bootcamp!! So join both!!!

oh, and PRACTICE!!!

Todd

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 17 2013, 12:14 AM) *
Hey Todd!

You are our shred master so I thought I'd ask for some advice?

What is a good way to build legato as well as strengthen the pinky finger?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 17 2013, 06:27 AM

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 17 2013, 06:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks for the responses guys!

I joined bootcamp but actually forgot to do mission 1 Todd. I'll have to get on that one!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2013, 10:36 PM
GMC:er
Get on it Soldier!!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 17 2013, 01:33 AM) *
Thanks for the responses guys!

I joined bootcamp but actually forgot to do mission 1 Todd. I'll have to get on that one!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:25 PM