2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Fretboard Dots
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 27 2007, 08:38 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (muris @ Sep 25 2007, 01:43 PM) *
Of course,dots are for visual aspect only. smile.gif
As I'm wearing glasses,almost no use for me. cool.gif laugh.gif

It's a bit off topic Eddie but once you've got used to a particular guitar you get to 'know it' really well. What I mean, sort of, is that I play in my office with the light off (pc monitor on providing all the 'light') and I know what fret I'm at not just from the note but how the neck feels...

Having said that the dots orientate you - BUT - I have a lot of friends who play fret less bass with no markers (including none on the side of the neck) WHO know where they are by learning to hear relative pitch.

Cheers,

Tony

Edit - lots of spelling mistakes

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Oct 27 2007, 08:47 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 27 2007, 08:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 27 2007, 09:38 AM) *
Having said that the dots orientate you - BUT - I have a lot of friends who play fret less-bass with no markers (including none on the side of the neck) WHO know where they are by learning to hear relative pitch.

Cheers,

Tony

Glory to relative pitch!!!
And to dots biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Random Guy
Oct 27 2007, 08:41 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Oct 27 2007, 01:34 AM) *
E Aeolian is also referred to as the Natural Minor scale. It has exactly the same key signature as its relative major.
On piano students are first taught the Harmonic minor scale, which has a raised leading note(7th note of the scale) as you will encounter that scale in the piano repertoire more often.

So the scale you learn on the piano and the E Aeolian are not quite the same though they both fall into the category of 'minor' scales. You play a D in the Aeolian and D# in the Harmonic.
So if you exchange the 12 fret for the 13th fret you should hear the sound you are looking for and you will know another scale too! ( oh and swap 15 for 16 on the Bstring- or shift that note entirely to 11fret on the E string)
HTH smile.gif

AHA! Thank you Mr. PlayAllDay, whoever you are, that is my problem. It all makes sense now.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 27 2007, 08:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Random Guy @ Oct 27 2007, 09:41 AM) *
AHA! Thank you Mr. PlayAllDay, whoever you are, that is my problem. It all makes sense now.

Wait a sec,I said all that about D # before!!!

No thanks to me??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 27 2007, 08:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 27 2007, 09:42 AM) *

Ahh,was joking guys,c'mon?!?!? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by muris: Oct 27 2007, 08:56 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 27 2007, 09:00 AM
You were dry.gif blink.gif

laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

(Sorry Muris - couldn't resist)

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Oct 27 2007, 09:03 AM
QUOTE (Random Guy @ Oct 27 2007, 03:41 PM) *

You're welcome Random Guy - and err... I'm a random girl laugh.gif

QUOTE (muris @ Oct 27 2007, 03:42 PM) *

I think you are thanked quite often enough already Muris tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
I am enjoying my moment in the thanking sun!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 27 2007, 09:12 AM
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now when's it my turn then for some sun?

Form an orderly queue behind me people...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
eddiecat
Oct 30 2007, 09:57 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 27 2007, 09:12 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now when's it my turn then for some sun?

Form an orderly queue behind me people...

Cheers,
Tony

Ok, Tony, here we go: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.... smile.gif
I'm starting my third month of guitar studying and I don't think I could have improved as much as I have (hopefully) anywhere else than here at GMC. A huge thank you to YOU (especially for your recording classes), Andrew and, of course, to my maestro Muris.
Is this sun warm enough? tongue.gif
To me dots are simply starting to become what root notes are: Signposts. As simple as that.
Going back to my woodshedding...
Cheers, Eddie smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 30 2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks Eddie - appreciated cool.gif .

Have to say that I wish I had spent my first few months even partly as dedicated as you've been. Sure you're going to be a great guitar player smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

ps - helps to have a great mentor like Muris though wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 30 2007, 11:18 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (muris @ Oct 27 2007, 07:39 AM) *
Glory to relative pitch!!!
And to dots biggrin.gif

Check this out, after six months of fretboard/pitch training i have a pretty cool map in my head.

E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E
B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B
G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G
D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D
A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A
E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E

I have the same mental map in Flats, and i can also tell you which octave a series of pitches belong too!
The big plus is i can tell you the pitch without counting up from the nut but instinctively know it !! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 30 2007, 11:53 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The dots are to mark the harmonic points.
The octave is marked (f ex with two dots) and the other points (that sound harmonic octaves) at 3,5,7 and 9. I'm positive it can be explained with wave theory somehow... but not by me. unsure.gif

EDIT: perhaps it was explained already? i didn't read all the replies... rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Oct 30 2007, 11:54 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:47 AM