2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Fixing Floydrose, please
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 28 2009, 10:33 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
TBH whilst I think the advice has been great if you're new to this then I'd agree with Sensible here.

Take it along to a friendly guitar tech and get him/her to give it a once over. They should also dress and crown the frets, put new strings on, check the shielding...

Annual service for a guitar - well worth the money smile.gif .

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 10:34 PM
GMC:er
How much roughly would it cost and what do they do in a "service"?

And heres some pics if it helps:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rowan: Feb 28 2009, 10:35 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jackson RR24 Snow White
Schecter C-1 Exotic Star w/ EMG 81-85
LINE6 PODxt Live w/ all additional patches
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

https://www.youtube.com/ScottR31

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 28 2009, 10:40 PM
Well, any decent, self respecting Tech will charge around £25 - £40 for a set-up plus a Set of strings. In your first Pics (in the bottom one of the rear Spring Cavity) it looks to me as though you could do with tightening the Spring Claw up a bit. Tighten those two screws into the body by a couple of turns each and see if that helps. It looks to me as though the Springs are sitting with no or next to no tension in them. In other words, the Springs are not acting against the tension of the Strings as they're supposed to!

A Service would include setting the Trem height, intonation and Spring tension and any adjustment to the Neck and Frets that was necessary and a new set of strings!
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Feb 28 2009, 10:44 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 10:44 PM
You mean the 2 screws down at the bridge on the floydrose or at the back?

Should the screws at the bottom be loose or tightened?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 28 2009, 10:50 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Again it's all great advice here and if you follow it carefully you could do this yourself...

One extra bit though on a pragmatic level - if you've only recently got the guitar from a shop Rowan then they should have set it up properly (new or second hand) If that is the case take it back and ask them to do it for free.

Else as SJ says expect to pay about 40 UK plus parts. I paid 30 Euros for a complete service recently including fret dressing etc on a guitar with a FR and that included new strings, battery, new shielding and so on but it's probably a bit cheaper here in Spain.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 28 2009, 10:58 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 28 2009, 09:44 PM) *
You mean the 2 screws down at the bridge on the floydrose or at the back?

Should the screws at the bottom be loose or tightened?

Looks like you need to tighten the two screws that I've arrowed! Loosen the 3 lock nut screws beforehand, tighten the 2 in the back and then re-tune and lock up the Lock Nut again!
smile.gif

Edit. I just noticed that you don't have the Lock Nut clamps in place so just go ahead and tighten those 2 screws by a couple of turns each!!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Feb 28 2009, 11:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 11:00 PM
Well I seem to have tried everything and I put the bridge part (floydrose) all the way down and also played about with the screws but it still sits far off the fret so I can even play it properly...

So ill give the guitar shop a phone tomorrow and see what they say, but theres definetly nothing I can do before hand?

I just dont get how it could be working fine and then I want to put new strings on, adjusted the back bit so I could level the bridge and then it goes wonky

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 28 2009, 11:06 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 28 2009, 10:00 PM) *
adjusted the back bit so I could level the bridge and then it goes wonky

I'm not sure I follow what you mean here, which part did you adjust and how? Also, if you adjusted anything have you made sure that you returned everything to it's original position before adjusting anything else?

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Feb 28 2009, 11:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 11:14 PM
At the back of the guitar the screws at the springs have been tightened up the way, no change
At the bottom at the floyd rose tightened in, no change

And all the stuff you where telling me at the top...

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 28 2009, 11:17 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 28 2009, 10:14 PM) *
At the back of the guitar the screws at the springs have been tightened up the way, no change
At the bottom at the floyd rose tightened in, no change

And all the stuff you where telling me at the top...

In that case I recommend ringing your Shop and taking it in! As you can appreciate it's quite difficult for me to make a diagnosis without actually having the Guitar in front of me!! Shame we don't live a bit nearer each other!!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Feb 28 2009, 11:26 PM
#1 stop screwing with the truss rod untill everyting else is right.

#2 Tune the guitar to standard e tuning.
#3. The first adjustment is going to be to level the floyd. this is done by adjusting the tension of the strings at the back of the guitar. you will need to adjust..retune several times to get the floyd level at the proper tuning.
#4. Adjust string height. This is done with the screws that the floyd pivots on (front of guitar). Adjust the hight to the desired level. check for buzz. If there is unacceptable buzzing adjust the string height a little higher.
#5. Truss rod adjustment (CAUTION DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN YOU COULD BREAK THE TRUSS ROD). In almost every cases you will find that the neck should NOT be completely straight. Some bow in the neck is almost always required to achieve the lowest action possible. look at it this way. When the strings vibrate they vibrate further out near the center of the string. so in the middle of the neck a little bow allows room for that larger diviation of the sting. I usually fret the string at the 1st fret and at the 14 fret at the same time (low e). This will allow you to use the string as a straight edge along the top of the frets. Looking down a neck is not very accurate unless you are looking for a warp or twist in the neck. The string should be just slightly above the frets near the 7th fret. I usually allow enough room for a thumnail to fit between the fret and the string. If there is more room than that tighten the truss rod in small increments. If less loosen the truss rod. The adjustment is not always stable right away. So make any adjustment ..let it sit for a few minutes ..check again ..adjust as necessary.
#6 Intonation...google "how to adjust Intonation" that will be your best bet. I would also google "adjusting a Floyd rose" so you get some pictures.
I hope this helps..

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 11:29 PM
Ok I had it fixed at one point but my floyd rose was goin at an angle into the hole .. When I opened the back and loosened them enough to get it level again and retuned there was the gap.

Does that help?

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 28 2009, 11:33 PM
QUOTE (Rowan @ Feb 28 2009, 11:29 PM) *
Ok I had it fixed at one point but my floyd rose was goin at an angle into the hole .. When I opened the back and loosened them enough to get it level again and retuned there was the gap.

Does that help?

Gap: you mean the bridge plate sticking out of the hole? it's because when you retuned the guitar, the strength of the strings (in tune!) started to pull the strings that it lifted. you should play with this a lot. tighten the screws in the guitar body, then tune the strings again. fiddle with both the tuning and the screws simultaneously to get the bridge straight. this is the pain with a floating bridge.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Rowan
Feb 28 2009, 11:36 PM
The bit with the fine tuners on it, they where pointing more downwards then straight

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Rowan
Mar 7 2009, 12:32 PM
I phoned 3 shops around my area:

Merchant City Guitar - £45 and will take up to a week
GuitarGuitar - £45 and could be 1-2 weeks
Reverb/Soundcontrol - £70!!! but would be done same day if not few days... he also claimed to be the CHEAPEST AND BEST in town!!

My m8 thats good with Floydrose and was certain to be able to fix it was going to come down today but he couldnt make it sad.gif

Also my fuckn guitar fell and the cable snapped so I need to get a new cable now..

Not the best time for me and music right now :'(

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Rowan
Mar 8 2009, 02:59 PM
I was playing around with it yesterday and I managed to get the strings down a little bit more... but im not sure how lol.

--------------------
Jackson RR24 Snow White

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2009, 12:16 AM
Instructor
It's best to save some money and do a proper setup man. This will save you a lot of hassles, and it is the best way to go. My advice - take it to that first shop and tell him exactly what you want him to do.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 9 2009, 01:13 AM
I agree with Ivan. This way, you'll know how awesome your Jackson will play at it's best, and you'll know exactly what a guitar with good set up should look/play like.

My shop set up my guitar and installed a new nut all for $90 cdn. I would figure $50 just for set up.

EDIT: And when you go to pick it up, just BEFORE you pay... is an excellent time to ask questions on how they adjusted it. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Mar 9 2009, 01:19 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:07 PM