2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Most Underwhelming Guitar You've Ever Bought?
Todd Simpson
Feb 6 2014, 03:43 AM
GMC:er
What is the most underwhelming guitar you've paid money for? I have recently started breaking my own rules and foolishly bought a couple of axes off the internet without playing them first. BAD IDEA. sad.gif Here they are.

Blakhart Ra Elite

*It looked so amazing I thought it had to be good smile.gif Sadly NO. The fret job/fret work was some of the worst I've ever seen. I couldn't believe they let it out of their shop. The frets were sticking off the end of the fretboard and would slice your fingers as you moved up the neck. Just awful.

Attached Image

BC Rich Gunslinger

*It's a cheap guitar that looks like a pricey guitar from the 80's. Pure nostalgia smile.gif The bad news is the "Duncan Designed" stock pickup is craaaaaaaaaaaap and after you replace that, and pay to have the frets leveled, your so far in to it you could have bought a real guitar. Even then, it still buzzes like a fiend despite being setup as good as it will go.

Attached Image

HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS????

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 6 2014, 03:43 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 6 2014, 09:53 PM
Instructor
Oh man I'm sorry to hear about the Gunslinger being a disappointment. I know you were real excited at getting that one.. and it does look SO good ! The lime green is like a late 60's muscle car cool.gif

For me, buying the Epiphone Gothic V was a bit disappointing. It was a silly impulsive moment. The frets were very small and I got them replaced with extra jumbos. That helped the bending but still, I wasn't very comfortable with a neck heavy V shaped guitar with 22 frets. It was awkward for practice and the fact that my fretting hand had to not only move around but keep the neck in place was a real fun killer for me. There was nothing actually wrong with the guitar, it just wasn't for me smile.gif That said.. it is one of the most beautiful looking things ever.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 6 2014, 10:27 PM
I know right? I still love how it looks and it makes me smile just sitting in it's guitar stand. But yeah, 22 frets, action can't be lowered enough, buzzes like crazy, etc. sad.gif Just a cheap guitar that looks like a much nicer one. smile.gif Have not decided on keeping it yet.

ALSO! IBANEZ RG8. Uggh!! I bought one the first time I saw it in guitar center and regretted it. I had a full setup done on it by two separate guys just to see if it was that. It wasn't. It's just a bit crap IMHO. Again, one guys view. But wow, action was terrible, tension was terrible, buzz on G and D during palm mute that you couldn't get rid of, the pickups were a pinch awful, etc. etc. etc.

Needless to say I SOLD ALL OF THESE, at a huge loss. The good news is, the guitar I got to replace them (The ESP BELA LUGOSI) I am really liking quite a bit and somebody upgraded the pickup from a EMG81 to an Alnico based Duncan Blackout! Score!!! smile.gif

All this has reaffirmed my belief in .

1.)NEVER buy a guitar off the internet before you play it. No matter how pretty it is. smile.gif

2.)NEVER buy a guitar the first time you play it in a store. Put it down, go home. Come back in a day or two. If it still feels like a great guitar, then buy it. (This is what I did with my esp. Just put it back down the first time. I went back and it was still impressive)

Of course, I've been breaking these rules lately and wow did I pay for it.

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 6 2014, 03:53 PM) *
Oh man I'm sorry to hear about the Gunslinger being a disappointment. I know you were real excited at getting that one.. and it does look SO good ! The lime green is like a late 60's muscle car cool.gif

For me, buying the Epiphone Gothic V was a bit disappointing. It was a silly impulsive moment. The frets were very small and I got them replaced with extra jumbos. That helped the bending but still, I wasn't very comfortable with a neck heavy V shaped guitar with 22 frets. It was awkward for practice and the fact that my fretting hand had to not only move around but keep the neck in place was a real fun killer for me. There was nothing actually wrong with the guitar, it just wasn't for me smile.gif That said.. it is one of the most beautiful looking things ever.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 7 2014, 11:27 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 6 2014, 09:27 PM) *
I know right? I still love how it looks and it makes me smile just sitting in it's guitar stand. But yeah, 22 frets, action can't be lowered enough, buzzes like crazy, etc. sad.gif Just a cheap guitar that looks like a much nicer one. smile.gif Have not decided on keeping it yet.

ALSO! IBANEZ RG8. Uggh!! I bought one the first time I saw it in guitar center and regretted it. I had a full setup done on it by two separate guys just to see if it was that. It wasn't. It's just a bit crap IMHO. Again, one guys view. But wow, action was terrible, tension was terrible, buzz on G and D during palm mute that you couldn't get rid of, the pickups were a pinch awful, etc. etc. etc.

Needless to say I SOLD ALL OF THESE, at a huge loss. The good news is, the guitar I got to replace them (The ESP BELA LUGOSI) I am really liking quite a bit and somebody upgraded the pickup from a EMG81 to an Alnico based Duncan Blackout! Score!!! smile.gif

All this has reaffirmed my belief in .

1.)NEVER buy a guitar off the internet before you play it. No matter how pretty it is. smile.gif

2.)NEVER buy a guitar the first time you play it in a store. Put it down, go home. Come back in a day or two. If it still feels like a great guitar, then buy it. (This is what I did with my esp. Just put it back down the first time. I went back and it was still impressive)

Todd

I bought my M-II after playing almost every single guitar they had in the store (including Ibanez Prestige guitars and a Joe Satriani signature, can't remember the model) and I loved it and I still love it, but I bought it after trying it for the first time laugh.gif sure, I had the strings changed and a complete setup and some fret levelling, but it was all in the deal. But I guess I was lucky laugh.gif doesn't work all the time, does it smile.gif But its been over 8 months since I bought that axe and every morning I wake up and see it, I always think that she looks amazingly beautiful and she plays amazingly well too tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Feb 7 2014, 11:29 AM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Feb 7 2014, 12:15 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 6 2014, 04:27 PM) *

1.) I've done twice. I bought a Loomis, hearing people rave how great of a 7-string it was. Honestly I cannot say that the guitar itself was bad. It's just at this time I started to look into thinner necks over the big fat neck my Gibsons had as it seemed to hinder my playing. The second time I bought a Ibanez RGD 7-String, needless to say I still prefer 6-stringers over 7s any day (maybe I just need to change the pickups and play it more). laugh.gif But I still own it and don't regret it at all.

2.) Oh lordy.. I've done this for almost everything I have owned minus my Ibanez S. First guitar I bought was a Dean Dime-O-Flame, was like heck yeah I like Dime lets go grab it! Didn't even play the thing just bought it. Back then it wouldn't have mattered as I didn't know what I liked to play on. From then on it was bought due to names. Gibson, PRS, MusicMan, and ESP, nothing wrong with any of those guitars they were all beauties! Just each one seemed not right for me. Gibson the necks are so fat, the PRS I actually took the tone/volume nobs off as they just slowly turned themselves, MusicMan, I'm not really sure, just didn't sit well with me.

The Ibanez S, the first time playing one, hated every minute of it. So light was sliding all over the place in the store. Then I met someone who actually owned a cheap model tossed in some Evos, had a strap on it. I tried it again, ended up playing it a few hours. Tried it a few more times, then I bought my own. Best guitar I still own to this day.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 7 2014, 02:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
a ltd ec-1000 this was my dream guitar and being left handed I usually have to buy everything without playing it, so I just cross my fingers .
this guitar had right handed tone and volume controls(as most left handed guitars do), but I thought this price range , surely, nope, why is this needed , if you put a right handed volume on a left handed guitar you have to wire it backwards and this rolls most of the volume in by 3 instead of a nice smooth control , it makes it to sensitive to use the volume control to your advantage a delegates the control to just a on and off switch.
2. Over drilled holes for your tuners- when you have extreme bends , the tuners will shift ever so slightly and out of tune you go.It is still in the shop right now being fitted with better tuners and if that doesnt fix it , it just becomes a very pretty piece of firewood

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2014, 09:05 PM
Well done!! smile.gif I went back for the ESP Bella Lugosi and I'm glad I did. I actually followed my own rules on that one and it worked out well smile.gif I'm not a huge fan of "rules" in general as I like to try to adapt and wing it when possible, but having done so many things the wrooooonnngggg way I have developed a few guidelines/rules that I do try to follow and share with others. Glad the advice helped!!!

Todd

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Feb 7 2014, 05:27 AM) *
I bought my M-II after playing almost every single guitar they had in the store (including Ibanez Prestige guitars and a Joe Satriani signature, can't remember the model) and I loved it and I still love it, but I bought it after trying it for the first time laugh.gif sure, I had the strings changed and a complete setup and some fret levelling, but it was all in the deal. But I guess I was lucky laugh.gif doesn't work all the time, does it smile.gif But its been over 8 months since I bought that axe and every morning I wake up and see it, I always think that she looks amazingly beautiful and she plays amazingly well too tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 7 2014, 09:37 PM
After all those years of owning only 1 guitar, choosing one is still a weird experience to me smile.gif Seriously, whatever guitar I take and start jamming, I play a different style everytime and trust me I'm not that talented biggrin.gif the sound of each really gets to me.

Though I think I'm better at finding guitars for friends smile.gif bought 3 last year for different people and they all still seem happy with the choices smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lothomer
Feb 8 2014, 05:23 PM
[quote name='Todd Simpson' date='Feb 6 2014, 10:27 PM' post='673891']

This just makes me think how i reacted several times... uhhh.
As musicans normally a good SOUNDING instrument should draw our attention. But somehow the way we react, what forms our decisions is a little different from that. We're attracted by sight. I remember, back in the late 80ies. I was satisfied with my Ibanez Roadstar, two Humbuckers, Floyd Rose, Olympic white finish, waxed neck - great guitar. I felt comfortable with that axe. Somehow one evening i saw the Cover of Bryan Adams "Waking up the neighbours" Album, where Bryan was on cover with a black Fender Strat. At that moment i wanted to hava a black strat too. Finally got it some months later as a present from my grandma. To be honest - first time i plugged that guitar to my marshall head, i was shocked. The sound of those single coils was so tiny, harsch, hard to form... the vintage vibrato was out of tune most of the time - seems like a bad deal. I had to do several changes on that guitar, like locking tuners, Hotrailpickups. Wished i kept my Ibbi that time. Unfortunately i didn't learn much out of that story for several years.... oh just saw a nice guitar on ebay... have to hurry to place my bid...

--------------------
Never too old to rock!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 8 2014, 06:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (lothomer @ Feb 8 2014, 05:23 PM) *
This just makes me think how i reacted several times... uhhh.
As musicans normally a good SOUNDING instrument should draw our attention. But somehow the way we react, what forms our decisions is a little different from that. We're attracted by sight. I remember, back in the late 80ies. I was satisfied with my Ibanez Roadstar, two Humbuckers, Floyd Rose, Olympic white finish, waxed neck - great guitar. I felt comfortable with that axe. Somehow one evening i saw the Cover of Bryan Adams "Waking up the neighbours" Album, where Bryan was on cover with a black Fender Strat. At that moment i wanted to hava a black strat too. Finally got it some months later as a present from my grandma. To be honest - first time i plugged that guitar to my marshall head, i was shocked. The sound of those single coils was so tiny, harsch, hard to form... the vintage vibrato was out of tune most of the time - seems like a bad deal. I had to do several changes on that guitar, like locking tuners, Hotrailpickups. Wished i kept my Ibbi that time. Unfortunately i didn't learn much out of that story for several years.... oh just saw a nice guitar on ebay... have to hurry to place my bid...

Very true....but those mistakes teach us how to help others avoid those wink.gif There are some behaviors that just can't be stopped smile.gif

As for buying guitar - I agree with most but if You leave the guitar You liked to go home and rethink...then someone else could buy it too....been through this and know how it feels...:/

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2014, 05:02 AM
That's true also smile.gif You could come back and the guitar is gone. Even still, I'd say try to sleep on any purchase that large if at all possible. If you wake up the next day and don't feel compelled to go back for a given guitar, you probably just saved yourself a headache and cost. But if you wake up and think "hmm, I wonder if that guitar is still there?" then it's a good idea to take another look smile.gif

Every guitar I've ever bought like that I still own. Guitars I bought on the spot, or via the web etc. Have all ended up sold/traded. Then again, it's all that experience that let me to the "rule" of waiting to begin with smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 8 2014, 12:07 PM) *
Very true....but those mistakes teach us how to help others avoid those wink.gif There are some behaviors that just can't be stopped smile.gif

As for buying guitar - I agree with most but if You leave the guitar You liked to go home and rethink...then someone else could buy it too....been through this and know how it feels...:/

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2014, 10:26 AM
Instructor
Honestly, I didn't ever have a guitar I wasn't happy with smile.gif

I buy them rarely and when I do, I take care to follow Todd's well stated golden rules of guitar buying:

- NEVER buy before you try
- Spend enough time (as much as possible) with the instrument you will buy.

The last rule, is a good reason for which I don't buy gear from the shop but, I usually try to find the model I am searching for among friends and other musicians I can get to.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 9 2014, 01:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 9 2014, 10:26 AM) *
Honestly, I didn't ever have a guitar I wasn't happy with smile.gif

I buy them rarely and when I do, I take care to follow Todd's well stated golden rules of guitar buying:

- NEVER buy before you try
- Spend enough time (as much as possible) with the instrument you will buy.

The last rule, is a good reason for which I don't buy gear from the shop but, I usually try to find the model I am searching for among friends and other musicians I can get to.

how about the guitar you bought just before your endorsement laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 9 2014, 02:17 PM
QUOTE (lothomer @ Feb 8 2014, 05:23 PM) *

I broke 'rule' no.2 three times lately... My Epiphone Les Paul, Ibanez SR300 Bass and Fender Squier VM Precision Bass....All bought from the Internet without trying...IMO All of them were what I wanted and even surpassed that! I look at the store carefully for reputation and fire questions at the staff before I press the button....If I relied on the Guitar stores in Spain...I would be paying well over the odds for that privilege. So I take that into account... 1) If I don't like the guitar, I can return it. 2) If it needs setting up...it would still be cheaper than buying from a store here. 3) Getting a good instrument at a reasonable price without trying it first....So far that I have been lucky and have been on number 3)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 10 2014, 08:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 9 2014, 12:57 PM) *
how about the guitar you bought just before your endorsement laugh.gif

Ah, the Ackerfeldt? I just reviewed it for the dealer, mate biggrin.gif Didn't buy it actually biggrin.gif I said I would buy it if it would suit me, but it turned out it didn't smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 11 2014, 04:21 PM
I heartily agree with 'Todds Rules of Guitar Buying' ... but I too break them occasionally.

Rule #1 - I will break this rule but only if I'm sure I can re-coup the full purchase price. So that means used (vintage) with at least a recognizable 'name'. I'll do it with weirdo 60s and early 70s models like Teisco, Kay or Kent guitars and only if I feel the asking price is really good. I'm a cheap bastard.

Rule # 2 - I'm sure there have been more but the two that come to mind are a Fernandes Tele and a silver sparkle Danelectro. Both good guitars at good prices but ultimately not for me.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2014, 01:30 AM
As they say "RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN" smile.gif Really just a guideline, but that doesn't sound as convincing. "Guidelines of Guitar Buying" but it does rhyme!! smile.gif

I too have broken my own "rules" as mentioned, repeatedly. When doing so, it pretty much comes down to dumb luck. You might get lucky smile.gif You might not sad.gif

I almost forgot to mention, there is one guitar that I bought off the web that I still have!! It's my dean Razorback. Got a great price on it and couldn't say no. It's a cheap guitar that I've put really nice custom made HOMEWRECKER PICKUPS in and now it sounds much better smile.gif
Attached Image

Long story short, breaking the rules is fun!! But it's a gamble so be prepared for any outcome.

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2014, 05:12 AM
Yup, you said it, "you got lucky" smile.gif

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 9 2014, 08:17 AM) *
I broke 'rule' no.2 three times lately... My Epiphone Les Paul, Ibanez SR300 Bass and Fender Squier VM Precision Bass....All bought from the Internet without trying...IMO All of them were what I wanted and even surpassed that! I look at the store carefully for reputation and fire questions at the staff before I press the button....If I relied on the Guitar stores in Spain...I would be paying well over the odds for that privilege. So I take that into account... 1) If I don't like the guitar, I can return it. 2) If it needs setting up...it would still be cheaper than buying from a store here. 3) Getting a good instrument at a reasonable price without trying it first....So far that I have been lucky and have been on number 3)

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 12 2014, 05:23 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 11 2014, 04:30 PM) *
Long story short, breaking the rules is fun!! But it's a gamble so be prepared for any outcome.
And it's not metal.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 12 2014, 09:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 12 2014, 12:30 AM) *
As they say "RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN" smile.gif Really just a guideline, but that doesn't sound as convincing. "Guidelines of Guitar Buying" but it does rhyme!! smile.gif

I too have broken my own "rules" as mentioned, repeatedly. When doing so, it pretty much comes down to dumb luck. You might get lucky smile.gif You might not sad.gif

I almost forgot to mention, there is one guitar that I bought off the web that I still have!! It's my dean Razorback. Got a great price on it and couldn't say no. It's a cheap guitar that I've put really nice custom made HOMEWRECKER PICKUPS in and now it sounds much better smile.gif
Attached Image

Todd

Todd, I think that inevitably, we need to go through the experience of buying unfitting stuff, in order to become more and more aware of who we are as players and start knowing better and better what we really need. Too bad that sometimes, the cost is a bit out of hand biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:56 AM