Just Out Of Curiosity..
steve25
Jun 4 2009, 11:33 PM
GMC:er
I think its fair to say I have 2 main favourite styles of music (unsubgenred). That is Metal and Classical. I love guitar and its my favourite instrument i can't imagine not playing it now. And i also love the sound of an orchestra as well. So because of this i'm learning to play guitar and compose for an orchestra at the same time (makes sense doesn't it?)

I do find both very difficult though but at least with guitar i know how to improve and stuff its a lot harder to work everything out by ear or at least for me when its a huge orchestra. So my first question is really how important is theory when composing? And if its really important in what way and how is it applied?

Also i was just wondering does anyone here compose for an orchestra? And if so where did you start and how did you improve? Also if you'd like to or are getting into it let me know perhaps we can collaborate sometime and improve together.

I hope to eventually become good at both so i can play multiple styles. My favourite band at the moment is Opeth so i'd love to play that style. I've also been getting into a lot of doom and gothic sort of styles lately so i like to learn that. But i often hear how i can usee that style with these new styles that i've gotten into.

I don't want to use guitar and classical in a cheesey kind of way not like how Yngwie and Steve Vai use it don't get me wrong they're great musicians and stuff but i can't help but to feel like they "forced" it into their live shows like its not supposed to belong there. However some stuff is great like the score Michael Kamen did for the S&M album with Metallica i thought was brilliant.

So again out of curiosity anyone into the same stuff as me? Out of the 2 metal still wins for me but i'm now into 2 styles which years ago i never thought i'd get into. Its an amazing feeling when that happens and to be honest i love a good suprise smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:37 PM