2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Zoom 9.2tt Against Line6 Pod Xt Live, which one is better?
MickeM
Jun 3 2007, 02:29 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 3 2007, 10:17 AM) *
and i do believe the tubes add something to the sound.

Here's a clip each from the POD, Vox Tonelab (which has a tube, like the Zoom) and finally a real tube amp head, just for comparence.

Line6 PoD XT (no tube)
POD Link

Vox Tonelab with (one tube)
VOX Link

and a real Laney VH100R (tube head)
Laney Link

EDIT: All very professional recordings

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 3 2007, 02:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Man0waR
Dec 9 2007, 03:43 AM
GMC:er
I spent three days in Music Store in Koln,Germany with the line6 and the zoom9.2tt over zillions of different amps and guitars.
I ended up with the zoom, and it makes my extremely cheap amp perform wonderfully so far. I love it. The tubes .... I was extremely annoyed by the idea that everyone will believe they're crap or amazing before they try it. The truth is if you dial in a good tone .... those tube knobs will get you some WONDERFULLY rich sounds smile.gif . I love it. The features on the Line6 are better for someone who needs it for mics and bass and whatever but for guitar alone , simply for the sound [not that it would lack features] - the zoom won me over. The MOST AMAZING combination I've tried so far is the zoom with the ENGL Screamer50 combo [which is an amp I could get married with, but it was way too expensive] and some Fame guitar with 2 SeymourDuncan HBs .... "Fame" might not suggest much to you all , but that guitar wasn't cheap by any means at roughly 1350 euros and the build quality was .... well I just wanted to run away with it but they had too many employees and a slow elevator lol biggrin.gif

Best wishes with your LINE6 , next time you upgrade your sound you probably won't be looking at the 9.2tt even if you figure out it's great, but probably something ... more ?! anyway smile.gif cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 9 2007, 03:59 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Man0waR @ Dec 8 2007, 08:43 PM) *
I spent three days in Music Store in Koln,Germany with the line6 and the zoom9.2tt over zillions of different amps and guitars.
I ended up with the zoom, and it makes my extremely cheap amp perform wonderfully so far. I love it. The tubes .... I was extremely annoyed by the idea that everyone will believe they're crap or amazing before they try it. The truth is if you dial in a good tone .... those tube knobs will get you some WONDERFULLY rich sounds smile.gif . I love it. The features on the Line6 are better for someone who needs it for mics and bass and whatever but for guitar alone , simply for the sound [not that it would lack features] - the zoom won me over. The MOST AMAZING combination I've tried so far is the zoom with the ENGL Screamer50 combo [which is an amp I could get married with, but it was way too expensive] and some Fame guitar with 2 SeymourDuncan HBs .... "Fame" might not suggest much to you all , but that guitar wasn't cheap by any means at roughly 1350 euros and the build quality was .... well I just wanted to run away with it but they had too many employees and a slow elevator lol biggrin.gif

Best wishes with your LINE6 , next time you upgrade your sound you probably won't be looking at the 9.2tt even if you figure out it's great, but probably something ... more ?! anyway smile.gif cheers

There is a tendency for reviews here to take the position "whatever I have is the best". The Zoom 9.2tt is nice for the price range it is in. Zoom did not make the best products (or so I understand) in the past, but from what I understand, the latest line is certainly at least equal to all competitors. I like the two pedals also. One I use for volume. The other for something else. I never use the third. I might run my wah into it as the external device, I don't think any of these devices really have as good a wah sound as a real wah.

I have sort of settled on the analog echo as my favorite, and the Mesa Boogie modern as favorite amp model. Just started with the cabinet effect, that is pretty profound an effect. You can make your sound REAL clear" with that. And of course the equalizer. For other digital effects, well maybe, but they would not be primary. Compression, I still don't know. The noise reduction...I have tried to quit using that as much as possible, Tony and Andrew convinced me of that.

edit: it is not as complicated as it seems. The book seems complicated. But it is not that complicated once you get past that.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 9 2007, 04:02 AM

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 9 2007, 04:23 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 3 2007, 01:29 AM) *
Here's a clip each from the POD, Vox Tonelab (which has a tube, like the Zoom) and finally a real tube amp head, just for comparence.

Line6 PoD XT (no tube)
POD Link

Vox Tonelab with (one tube)
VOX Link

and a real Laney VH100R (tube head)
Laney Link

EDIT: All very professional recordings

Laney sounds far and away the best, IMO. And I prefer the engl high gain sound to this, I think I have become a fully converted tube freak O_o

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 10 2007, 02:06 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (JVM @ Dec 9 2007, 04:23 AM) *
Laney sounds far and away the best, IMO. And I prefer the engl high gain sound to this, I think I have become a fully converted tube freak O_o

Haha yeah, you're wandering the path of the righteous now wink.gif
You know "your" Laney GL50 can have it's tubes switched into 6L6's if you want the more punchy ENGL sort of sound. That's a nice thing of course that you're not stuck with EL34's...

Sticking out my chin a bit here and now but I think POD has become the populistic choise for many. And I'd never trust a salesman in the store suggesting to get this product over that. The most likely reason for such a recommendation is that his provision for product A is higher than for product B, or if he's the loyal kind he'll recommend the product with higher margin. Knowing that the customer goes home with a product happily ever after and unlikely to put these products to a side by side test realizing the other actualy was better.
Well, it's a matter of taste really, it's whats' better for your needs.
I'm going to rid my Peavey Classic 30 since I don't have a need for it anymore. My needs right now is for professional recordings. One option would be to mike an amp but still, blasting off a 30W tube amp at home won't increase my popularity among the family.

So since I will use it for recording I can base my purchase on recorded sounds. That's a relief since I won't have to go through the hazzle of trying the stuff out side by side with a PA. I can just sit back and listen to what other people have recorded and judge from that.

Right now everything points towards the Zoom G9.2tt - To my ears it produces a warm tube sound and it has a fine range of amps to choose from.
Same thing with the Vox Tonelab LE, also gives a warm tube sound and has an even better range of amps in my opinion (plenty of brits) but is a lot more expensive that the Zoom.
The POD also makes good sounds but it seems the tubes in the Zoom and Vox really adds to the tone. I belive I can hear the extra warmth and fizzly sizzly sparkling tube sounds, more gritty etc etc which does it for me.

So first place is Zoom G9.2tt, second comes Vox Tonelab LE and third Korg AX3000 and to not upset anyone also the POD on 3'rd wink.gif
Maybe just maybe the Vox has a little better sound but Zoom is cheaper and has USB connection, the Vox I belive would have to run through a mixer when recording to a PC which feels a bit unneccessary.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:36 PM