2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Locking Tuners + Strat
Gary
Dec 1 2009, 05:23 AM
GMC:er
I am considering swapping out the tuners on my 09 Malmsteen strat for the locking type as use of the tremelo unit sends the guitar out of tune pretty rapidly. I see there are different models available such as Schallers and Sperzels.. wondering if any GMC'ers are running with these and if they actually work as advertised. I would definitely prefer a type that does not require modification to the head stock (i.e. a quality after market brand that uses existing through hole and mounting holes).

Cheers and thanks in advance!
Gary

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Dec 1 2009, 06:03 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gary. I have the Schaller's on one of my Strat's. It does stay in tune better than the other's, however, I don't find it stellar. I didn't add them as they came standard on an American Strat called a Stratocaster Plus, back in the very early 90's. I'm not sure how long they offered it like that. I has ball bearing nut with the locking tuners. After reading this post, I'm not sure I was even slightly helpful. Sorry.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
jdriver
Dec 1 2009, 06:51 AM
The American Strats come with these:

Fender / Schaller deluxe staggered cast / sealed locking tuning machines.

I have no issues of any kind, they simply work. I haven't been using the tremolo a lot, but my bridge is floating always and I have no problems with tuning. Perhaps you could get these to go in your YM strat.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 1 2009, 06:53 AM
Learning Roadie
I have used both schaller and sperzel tuners are one point or another and they work well. I have some on my strat now, it only really goes out of tune after many hours of playing or temperature changes etc, though I'm sure heavier use of the whammy than I employ would get it out of tune sooner.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 1 2009, 08:36 AM
Learning Tone Master
It really doesn't matter, both Sperzels and Schallers are excellent. I think Schallers is a little cheaper though.... but be careful to check the width if You order them online, since stock Fender tuners has a narrower width than than the usual lockable tuners... I didn't, and had to drill the neck instead... tongue.gif (there are lockable that will fit...)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 1 2009, 02:45 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 1 2009, 07:36 AM) *
It really doesn't matter, both Sperzels and Schallers are excellent.

//Staffay

+1.
The Schallers should come in a little cheaper than the Sperzels.
If your Strat is currently equipped with normal 'Vintage' Style Tuners then it will need re-drilling.
The other thing to look at is whether the new ones have one or two locking Nubs on them or maybe one Nub and a Set Screw to hold them in place as you may need to drill extra locating holes to suit!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Dec 1 2009, 02:56 PM
Instructor
I got sperzels on my Carvin and they are great, stays in tune for a lot of more time than regular tuners. Also you will notice the difference when changing strings. smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 1 2009, 05:42 PM
Instructor
Sperzels are great, rock solid, and changing strings it's quicker wink.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 1 2009, 07:35 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
My strat came with Schaller locking tuners, they stay in tune pretty well and I don't need to wind and wind the strings any more. I like them smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 1 2009, 08:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have both Sperzels and Schallers on my strats, and I can't really say that there is no difference in handling or quality. Both will improve the tuning, but the trem setup is even more critical imo. It's very hard to get a vintage strat trem to stay in tune unless You allow it to rest on the body... (and even if so, there's tuning problems if You use the trem to offensive) The trems that hangs on just two screws is far better than Fender's stock, and will stay in tune much better....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Gary
Dec 2 2009, 04:29 AM
Thanks to all for the replies posted here. Looks like a worthwhile investment so I am going to order a set.. not sure which ones yet but from the input gathered it seems that either of the brands discussed will be fine.

Staffay - When I bought the guitar new the tremelo was floating a bit and the guitar tech I used recommended mounting the tremelo flat against the body to increase sustain etc. I agreed and now the guitar is set up this way. Although I do not use the whammy bar that much I was a bit impressed that the guitar stayed in tune amazingly well prior to mounting the tremelo flat. Once the tremelo was set flat it seems the guitar falls out of tune much faster when the whammy bar is used. This is with the standard Fender "F" vintage tuners and the Fender synchronized tremelo unit. It could be a big coincidence though.. factor in older strings etc.

Thanks again for all the input.
Gary

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 2 2009, 08:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gary @ Dec 2 2009, 04:29 AM) *
Thanks to all for the replies posted here. Looks like a worthwhile investment so I am going to order a set.. not sure which ones yet but from the input gathered it seems that either of the brands discussed will be fine.

Staffay - When I bought the guitar new the tremelo was floating a bit and the guitar tech I used recommended mounting the tremelo flat against the body to increase sustain etc. I agreed and now the guitar is set up this way. Although I do not use the whammy bar that much I was a bit impressed that the guitar stayed in tune amazingly well prior to mounting the tremelo flat. Once the tremelo was set flat it seems the guitar falls out of tune much faster when the whammy bar is used. This is with the standard Fender "F" vintage tuners and the Fender synchronized tremelo unit. It could be a big coincidence though.. factor in older strings etc.

Thanks again for all the input.
Gary

Hmmm, sounds a little strange to me.... One thing that is really important when using trems, is to stretch the strings when putting on new one's - eg. pull the string sidewise and stretch it , retune and repeat until it stays in tune, or You can perform some crazy bends smile.gif Maybe the tech didn't screw the springs hard enough??? Also note that if You are changing string thickness or even brand, the trem must most likely been set up again....

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 3 2009, 01:16 AM
Aloha Gary,
I should update you on my YM strat. (If you ordered yours around the same time as I ordered mine... does that make them brothers? huh.gif ) I also had some tuning issues with the strat, and I began to look at the bridge and not the tuners for help. I discovered the HIPSHOT as well as the ESP arming adjuster

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/ESP.html

Both are designed to help stabilize the bridge!!! Hmmmmm... so I did my home work and decided to try the ESP version, which I guess is what Steve Vai uses (or something close to it) and bought it through a friend who was traveling to Japan. It turns out that it's difficult to find in the USA due to a licensing issue with Gibson. Turns out Gibson (go figure...?) owns a patent that is identical? or very close to what ESP is using for floating bridge stabilization. So you can find it online for purchase, but I only found one guy who carries it, and he charges $60. I got mine from japan for $25 Hmmmmm. But worth every penny!!! It really helps. The idea is similar to a piston that pushes, only this one pushes the bridge away from the body (up) vs. the springs pulling the bridge towards the body (down). You set it up so there is a balance and voila! It works as advertised! So anyway I read reviews of the hipshot and decided that it was not as well made and did not transfer sustain nearly as well as the arming adjuster by esp. It works on most bridges, Vintage fender or floyd rose... so I can recommend it to anybody with tuning issues surrounding tremolo styled bridges cool.gif

Anyhow, the locking tuners ( I own sperzels) really make string changes so much easier! But just so you know, stings don't need to be stretched! Locking tuners are in tune within one revolution. Strings need to settle into their windings and continue to "slip" not stretch, after being installed on conventional tuners. Locking tuners are in tune (instantly) and stay that way within one revolution of the tuner.

Good luck with your search and let me know how it shakes out!!!

And the Deep fried Turkey was GREAT!!!

I might need to do another one for Christmas! cool.gif

Robert

This post has been edited by Hammerhead: Dec 3 2009, 01:20 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 3 2009, 02:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Dec 3 2009, 01:16 AM) *
Aloha Gary,
I should update you on my YM strat. (If you ordered yours around the same time as I ordered mine... does that make them brothers? huh.gif ) I also had some tuning issues with the strat, and I began to look at the bridge and not the tuners for help. I discovered the HIPSHOT as well as the ESP arming adjuster

http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/ESP.html

Robert

Nice info smile.gif , I haven't seen this one before, but there is also one called "No-Trem" that "locks" the trem when not used and also can drop the low to D, but I haven't got the opportunity to try it...

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 3 2009, 02:10 AM
Staffy.... I think you should get a strat, yes you have to pay for it but think of the money you will save on other guitars once you have your strat. I have always wanted one and I saved for 5 years to make it happen. I have to say it is a great guitar! (ummmm... sometimes I still look at other guitars.... but not as much now!) wink.gif

It's almost Christmas... you have an excuse.....

And the ESP device really makes a big difference.

Robert

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 3 2009, 07:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Dec 3 2009, 02:10 AM) *
Staffy.... I think you should get a strat, yes you have to pay for it but think of the money you will save on other guitars once you have your strat. I have always wanted one and I saved for 5 years to make it happen. I have to say it is a great guitar! (ummmm... sometimes I still look at other guitars.... but not as much now!) wink.gif

It's almost Christmas... you have an excuse.....

And the ESP device really makes a big difference.

Robert

Hehe

I already own three strats, including a hand-crafted John Suhr strat. The signature is a joke, since I think Fenders prizes for their master-built instruments is ridiculous...... and I dont think I will save any money by buying one of these when You can get 3 other guitars that is on par for the same money.... The only one that could possibly stand up against my Suhr is a masterbuilt that I've tried in Copenhagen....

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 3 2009, 09:21 AM
The problem with locking tuners I find is that they take much longer to keep a guitar in tune after getting new strings but when they do get to stay in tune they will stay in tune for months without even having to tune the guitar lol.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Dec 3 2009, 09:21 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 3 2009, 09:57 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 3 2009, 09:21 AM) *
The problem with locking tuners I find is that they take much longer to keep a guitar in tune after getting new strings but when they do get to stay in tune they will stay in tune for months without even having to tune the guitar lol.

Thats why I always stretch them as hard as possible when putting new one's on.... but mine just lasts some couple of weeks... laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 3 2009, 09:59 AM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 3 2009, 08:57 AM) *
Thats why I always stretch them as hard as possible when putting new one's on.... but mine just lasts some couple of weeks... laugh.gif

//Staffay

I do stretch them but they really seem to not want to stay in tune for up to a week after changing strings. Maybe it's just my guitar but it sure is irritating. I do prefer older strings though also.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 3 2009, 10:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 3 2009, 09:59 AM) *
I do stretch them but they really seem to not want to stay in tune for up to a week after changing strings. Maybe it's just my guitar but it sure is irritating. I do prefer older strings though also.

Hmm, I dont really know what You mean by "stays in tune", You cant expect a guitar to stay perfectly in tune from one day to another, most likely You have to fine-tune it every time You should use it... and strats with trems/bolt on necks, are even more sensitive to humidity, has more moving parts etc. than a Les Paul for example. But it shall remains in tune for some songs at least imo. smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:58 AM