Dean Ml79 Electric Guitar
chetta2323
Apr 16 2008, 02:03 AM
GMC:er
are deans good guitars i wanna get this guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dea...itar?sku=512932

but my friend says they suck are they good at all i want a secnond opinion

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 16 2008, 02:26 AM
Don't mind the haters, Dean makes quality guitars. If you can, try one out for yourself. Everyone has thier favorites, I'm sure if you asked this question in any other forum you get responses like: Ibanez FTW! Gibson FTW! Fender FTW! Schecter FTW! Jackson FTW!
It just means everyone has thier preferences.

Deans are not you typical shredder guitars, they don't have the tiny, flat neck, and the mondo ZOMG size frets. They are designed to have the thick, huge sound you'd get from a Gibson, but the neck is a little bit thinner, and the guitar itself is lighter. Now most would say sacrificing weight is sacrificing sustain, well the 79 series(hardtail version) have the string through body design, and they have a GIANT headstock, now not only is the headstock great for getting noticed on stage, but that extra mass and string tension, along with the string through body design makes the guitat sustain and resonate wonderfully. More than enough to compensate for the weight.

Now, on to quality control, Dean imports are mostly made in Korea, don't let that scare you, they are priced fairly(I belive) under $500. From my expirience the quality control for the Korea shop is good, I haven't played a bad Dean yet, quality wise. Much better than the Epiphones, Fenders, BC Rich guitars, and Ibanez guitar I've played that were around $500.

But whatever you get make sure you get the guitar set up by someone who knows what he is doing, the setup can make or break the guitar. If you have a $3,000 guitar that is set up poorly, or not set up at all, it will suck, on the flipside a $200 guitar set up well could play pretty well.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

EDIT: I forgot to say, IMO 79 guitar are great, but I'm not the only one, both of the amazing guitar players from Nile play 79 series Deans. Here's a link http://blogs.guitarworld.com/metalkult/vid...esson/#more-494 The white V is a 79.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by RIP Dime: Apr 16 2008, 02:29 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Apr 16 2008, 02:37 AM
thanks im def gunna get 1 but im gunna go to guitar center and play on one first and a couple others. what are some good pedals/effects i should get?????

QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Apr 15 2008, 09:26 PM) *
Don't mind the haters, Dean makes quality guitars. If you can, try one out for yourself. Everyone has thier favorites, I'm sure if you asked this question in any other forum you get responses like: Ibanez FTW! Gibson FTW! Fender FTW! Schecter FTW! Jackson FTW!

Deans are not you typical shredder guitars, they don't have the tiny, flat neck, and the mondo ZOMG size frets. They are designed to have the thick, huge sound you'd get from a Gibson, but the neck is a little bit thinner, and the guitar itself is lighter. Now most would say sacrificing weight is sacrificing sustain, well the 79 series(hardtail version) have the string through body design, and they have a GIANT headstock, now not only is the headstock great for getting noticed on stage, but that extra mass and string tension, along with the string through body design makes the guitat sustain and resonate wonderfully. More than enough to compensate for the weight.

Now, on to quality control, Dean imports are mostly made in Korea, don't let that scare you, they are priced fairly(I belive) under $500. From my expirience the quality control for the Korea shop is good, I haven't played a bad Dean yet, quality wise. Much better than the Epiphones, Fenders, BC Rich guitars, and Ibanez guitar I've played that were around $500.

But whatever you get make sure you get the guitar set up by someone who knows what he is doing, the setup can make or break the guitar. If you have a $3,000 guitar that is set up poorly, or not set up at all, it will suck, on the flipside a $200 guitar set up well could play pretty well.

EDIT: I forgot to say, IMO 79 guitar are great, but I'm not the only one, both of the amazing guitar players from Nile play 79 series Deans. Here's a link http://blogs.guitarworld.com/metalkult/vid...esson/#more-494 The white V is a 79.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 16 2008, 02:38 AM
What kind of amp do you have?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Apr 16 2008, 02:41 AM
i got a marshall

QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Apr 15 2008, 09:38 PM) *
What kind of amp do you have?

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 16 2008, 02:51 AM
DON'T TAKE OTHERS OPINIONS!!! when buying gear, it's very important to just buy what you like the most, not what your friend likes the most. TRY EVERYTHING! good luck tongue.gif

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 16 2008, 02:52 AM
What kind, an MG, an all tube Marshall?

But besides that, I'm not someone who uses lots of pedals, I prefer a very dry sound, I just plug my guitar into my amp. So I would suggest you get a tuner pedal! Kinda boring but usefull. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Apr 16 2008, 03:15 AM
thanks for the help!!!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Apr 16 2008, 03:33 AM
i have never played a dean that wasn't a cheap piece of crap, and ive played ALOT of deans. theres alot of great guitars out there but deans arent them, try some les pauls or a jackson or ibanez, much better qaulity control, heck ive never played an ibanez i didnt like. look around, but dont waste your money on crap like dean.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
besip
Apr 16 2008, 03:40 AM
you see lot of OPINIONS around laugh.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 16 2008, 04:19 AM
Yup, knew that post was coming when I first laid eyes on the name of this thread. laugh.gif
Marshmall0wz got it right though, find what you like and go for it. wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Apr 16 2008, 05:41 AM
I have to agree here. You and only you can decide if you like Dean or not. But no they don't suck, they make great guitars. If they didn't do you think MAB, Rusty Cooley, Vinnie Moore, Michael Schenker, Dave Mustaine, Dimebag Darrel, Zakk Wylde (sometimes) Matt Heafy, Corey Beaulieu and all these other awesome guitarists would have chosen to play them?

QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Apr 15 2008, 09:26 PM) *

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 16 2008, 05:02 PM
Instructor
Don't know, the guitar looks very nice to me.. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pi38
Apr 16 2008, 05:12 PM
I don't know much about Dean, but they're pretty famous, so I'd say they make pretty quality guitars. This is just my preference, but I'd get the blue one.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:25 PM