Playing With The Metronome, Help !
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 17 2009, 03:11 PM
GMC:er
I have gone about 3 years now without playing with a metronome, and I still cant do it.

I get lost at higher speeds trying to count with the about of BPM whether its Triplets or anything.

I have watched Kris's How To Use a Metronome before but I just dont know why I still dont get it !

I need to learn how to use it so I can apply it to absoultley everything and get it in perfect time,
But I have reached a point where I am about to give up trying to play fast if I cant learn how to use it !

HELP ! sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Apr 17 2009, 04:43 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 17 2009, 09:11 AM) *
I have gone about 3 years now without playing with a metronome, and I still cant do it.

I get lost at higher speeds trying to count with the about of BPM whether its Triplets or anything.

I have watched Kris's How To Use a Metronome before but I just dont know why I still dont get it !

I need to learn how to use it so I can apply it to absoultley everything and get it in perfect time,
But I have reached a point where I am about to give up trying to play fast if I cant learn how to use it !

HELP ! sad.gif

I too have trouble but that just proves how bad I need to do it. To practice pick items that are easy to prodict the coming beats. They will help you under stand the concept more. I am making up some tabs to post to show this in a few minutes. Helped me a lot

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Apr 17 2009, 04:44 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
chast
Apr 17 2009, 04:54 PM
Learning Roadie
What exactly dont you understand ?
The subdivision of the beat ? How to count ?
Or is it just that you get lost at high speeds ?
To not get lost at high speeds you just have to go up a few bpm, but don't rush!
Play the lick or whatever you practice at one speed, till you can play without doing ANY mistakes, then speed up maybe 3 to 5 bpm (that's what I do)
And of course start really slow speed.

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Apr 17 2009, 05:01 PM
Instructor
try play with the Guitar pro files! use the metronomo of the Gpro and play on this! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 17 2009, 05:05 PM
QUOTE (chast @ Apr 17 2009, 08:54 AM) *
What exactly dont you understand ?
The subdivision of the beat ? How to count ?
Or is it just that you get lost at high speeds ?
To not get lost at high speeds you just have to go up a few bpm, but don't rush!
Play the lick or whatever you practice at one speed, till you can play without doing ANY mistakes, then speed up maybe 3 to 5 bpm (that's what I do)
And of course start really slow speed.

After further review this is what I came up with.

I can play quarter notes spot on, afterall there very easy.
Eighth's are a little harder but I can manage pretty well.

I think I struggle the most with triplets and anything higher then that.
I can count the 1-2-3 thing easily but should having it go 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4,-1-2-3-4, I second guess myself to whether Im playing exactly with it or am I off by a bit .

I dont know if its better to do this or if it would help, but on my metronome I have a triplet feature so I can set it to 1-2-3-4, but behind that you hear the three fast beats for the triplets . Is it harder to practice to that ?

Im getting it more and more but it gets frusterating.

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Apr 17 2009, 05:05 PM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 17 2009, 05:10 PM
If your timing sucks it`s really important to start slowly with metronome for example 100bmp with 8th notes and slowly move up, don`t try to play 4 notes per beat and more it`s really confusing at beginning, give time tou your brain to "catch up" with those clicks.

You should play with metronome every day, at least 30 minutes ( you sure can find that time smile.gif and your timing and also all playing abilities will become much greater because of punctuation and rhythm feel smile.gif Also you will find easyier to create your own staff after spending some weeks with metronome smile.gif After some time you will count 6 and more beats easyli of course if you practise with those laugh.gif And better set your metronome on single click(not triplets and whatever), well it worked for me smile.gif Hope this helps.

oh and how Carlos mentioned GP helps too, only don`t forget to activate metronome there smile.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Apr 17 2009, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
chast
Apr 17 2009, 05:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 17 2009, 06:05 PM) *
[...]

I think I struggle the most with triplets and anything higher then that.
I can count the 1-2-3 thing easily but should having it go 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4,-1-2-3-4, I second guess myself to whether Im playing exactly with it or am I off by a bit .

I dont know if its better to do this or if it would help, but on my metronome I have a triplet feature so I can set it to 1-2-3-4, but behind that you hear the three fast beats for the triplets . Is it harder to practice to that ?

[...]

I see.
Just be aware, that sometimes it can be harder to play something like triplets at very slow speed.
It is hard to keep every note the same length at slow speed, because you have bigger "spaces" inbetween the notes.

" I have a triplet feature so I can set it to 1-2-3-4, but behind that you hear the three fast beats for the triplets"
You know that triplets are three notes per beat.
Why do you write 1-2-3-4 then ? These are 16th notes biggrin.gif
Maybe it helps you instead of counting 1-2-3-4 just "count" 1 e and e 2 e and e 3 e and e 4 e and e for 16th notes.
For triplets I count 1 and di and so son.

If you are unsure if you are playing in the beat to the metronome just record yourself (if possible) with a metronome click and listen to your playing.

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 17 2009, 05:20 PM
For the 1-2-3-4 thing.
I was trying to say if thats the beat - 1-2-3-4
You will have 3 notes for all 4 beats.
Isnt that right ?

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Apr 17 2009, 05:20 PM
On 1-3 measures you have a click when you start and when you end. Be sure to hit the accent > note harder.

Where you try to do it all together still hit the beat note harder. This will help you remember where it is during a longer run.

In 2 – 3 measure start with the finger you ended with in the last measure. 1-3 are to practice all of 4 in pieces with the metronome. will help with 16 notes.

Attached Image

Corrected

Attached File  16thpractice.gp5 ( 2.15K ) Number of downloads: 115

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Apr 17 2009, 05:51 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 17 2009, 05:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 17 2009, 03:11 PM) *

HELP ! sad.gif

Hey mate,

I struggle with this as well, if you check out Ivans pentatonics and modes series he plays through different scales and such from half notes right up to sixteenth triplets, it helps because the metronome and note placement are on the lesson and you just play along so you're not trying to "see" the timing yourself, anyway check them out at the link.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...atonic-Workshop

whilst you may know the scales in these lessons the timing is just as important!

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 17 2009, 05:28 PM
Oh you must know also if you don`t: whole note - 1 per four beats, half note - 1 per two beats, quarter - 1 on 1 beat, quarter triplets - 1.5 notes on one beat, that`s why here is problems, eight - 2 notes on 1 beat, eight triplets - 3 notes on 1 beat, sixteen notes - 4 on 1 beat, sixteen triplets - 6 notes on 1 beat (also sixtuplets), quintuplets - 5 on 1, seventuplets - 7 on 1, 32th notes 8 on 1, but i think you don`t need 32th notes right now and monstrous 9-tuplets etc etc, don`t you? smile.gif Oh, i could make some mistakes in names but i think it`s clear.

+Quote Post
chast
Apr 17 2009, 05:29 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 17 2009, 06:20 PM) *
For the 1-2-3-4 thing.
I was trying to say if thats the beat - 1-2-3-4
You will have 3 notes for all 4 beats.
Isnt that right ?

I think we are talking around each other laugh.gif
Let's say we are in 4/4.
You said, that you can play quarter notes, that's one note per beat.
8th notes would be 2 notes per beat. (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and)
Triplets would be 3 notes per beat. (1 and di 2 and di 3 and di 4 and di)
16th notes would be 4 notes per beat. (1 e and e 2 e and e 3 e and e 4 e and e)
Six-tuplets would be 6 notes per beat (1-2-3-4-5-6, 2-2-3-4-5-6, 3-2-3-4-5-6, 4-2-3-4-5-6)

I hope I didn't tell you things that you already know by heart laugh.gif
And so on...
And I would follow leedbreaks advice to accent every first note of the beat, if you have problems playing to the metronome.

This post has been edited by chast: Apr 17 2009, 05:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 17 2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks so much everyone.

Leed. Carlos. Chast. Sted. Alex.

With each new thing somebody says, I get it a little more.

The way I see it, the more I play with the metronome the more I will understand timing , So im just going to do that, and also check out Ivans Lesson.

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 17 2009, 09:49 PM
Instructor
Here is what I wrote recently to synfection, hope you find it useful:

When practicing with metronome it is always good to cover as much different note values as possible. This is important for both rhythm and solo playing. I will explain on simple example: if you take a metronome and practice only eight notes with it, and not covering other note values, you will tend to play mostly eight note triplets when you try to improvise or play something. This kind of playing will not create rhythmical composition that is rich and powerful enough, and it may sound static, and not interesting.
This is why we will apply metronome method where we cover everything that we play with as many note values possible. By exercising this way you will achieve much better rhythmical skills, and ability to mix and match different note values. This is very important when you do riffs or solo.

To get you familiar with this method I want you to take a simple alternate picking exercise on one string like this (you can choose any string)

--1--2--3--4--

and play it 2 times:

- starting with downstroke
- starting with upstroke

i want you to go through this practice method (set metronome on 60bpm, 4/4 time signature, and don't put any accents on the first note. Make sure all the clicks sound the same. Also tap you foot while you play)

1. set metronome at 60bpm and do quarter notes (one note per click)
2. set metronome at 80bpm and repeat
3. set metronome at 100bpm and repeat
4. set metronome at 120bpm and repeat

5. set metronome at 60bpm and do eight notes (2 notes per click)
6. set metronome at 80bpm and repeat
7. set metronome at 100bpm and repeat
8. set metronome at 120bpm and repeat

9. set metronome at 60bpm and do eight note triplets (3 notes per click)
10. set metronome at 80bpm and repeat
11. set metronome at 100bpm and repeat
12. set metronome at 120bpm and repeat

13. set metronome at 60bpm and do sixteen notes (4 notes per click)
14. set metronome at 80bpm and repeat
15. set metronome at 100bpm and repeat
16. set metronome at 120bpm and repeat

17. set metronome at 60bpm and do sixteen note triplets (6 notes per click)
18. set metronome at 80bpm and repeat
19. set metronome at 100bpm and repeat
20. set metronome at 120bpm and repeat

If you are not comfortable doing faster tempos, feel free to adjust the tempo the way you can pick the notes with ease. It is not intention to learn that exercise, but to get you familiar with different note values and this metronome practice method.

If you are not familiar with some concepts that I mention, I suggest that you read this Andrew's article. You don't have to learn it or anything - just read it once and it will be enough.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=4363

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 17 2009, 09:50 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 19 2009, 12:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 17 2009, 03:11 PM) *

HELP ! sad.gifI have the same problem recently i 've set my metronome to play every note , not just the beat , i think it is working , only time will tell

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:30 AM