Which 3 Fingers ?
Ben Higgins
Jun 4 2014, 10:54 AM
Instructor
I was talking to AK Rich in the chat room the other evening about which combination of fingers people use for the 3 note per string shape which is 2 whole tones apart.

For example, fretting the 7th, 9th and 11th frets.

I think the most common combo is 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers. That's the version I see the most. It's also the way I've always played.

The other way is to use 1st, 3rd and 4th fingers. So you're swapping the 2nd finger for the 3rd finger, or ring finger. Paul Gilbert is well known for using this approach.

I must say that I discovered that using the Paul Gilbert approach is really beneficial for when you're playing on the higher frets. Say, the 12th fret and above. It's easier to keep your fingers fretting the notes at a better angle which makes the movements more efficient. So, I'm now using both approaches.

Which version do you use ? Do you also mix it up ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 4 2014, 03:35 PM
Instructor
I'm with you Ben about this one. I use both combinations depending on the part of the fretboard I'm playing. That's why I consider important to practice exercises using different possibilities, both for left and right hand. This helps us to be ready to adapt to different licks and situations.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Romko
Jun 5 2014, 05:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 4 2014, 09:54 AM) *
I was talking to AK Rich in the chat room the other evening about which combination of fingers people use for the 3 note per string shape which is 2 whole tones apart.

For example, fretting the 7th, 9th and 11th frets.

I think the most common combo is 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers. That's the version I see the most. It's also the way I've always played.

The other way is to use 1st, 3rd and 4th fingers. So you're swapping the 2nd finger for the 3rd finger, or ring finger. Paul Gilbert is well known for using this approach.

I must say that I discovered that using the Paul Gilbert approach is really beneficial for when you're playing on the higher frets. Say, the 12th fret and above. It's easier to keep your fingers fretting the notes at a better angle which makes the movements more efficient. So, I'm now using both approaches.

Which version do you use ? Do you also mix it up ?

An interesting theme. From 8 positions ... if up 1-3-4 if down 4-2-1. Although, I still need a lot to learn smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 6 2014, 08:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 4 2014, 02:35 PM) *
I'm with you Ben about this one. I use both combinations depending on the part of the fretboard I'm playing. That's why I consider important to practice exercises using different possibilities, both for left and right hand. This helps us to be ready to adapt to different licks and situations.

Good point here Gabi - there are certain players, such as Andy James, that barely use the pinky. I for one like to analyze things and see what fits my body best and adapt shapes to it.

I start from the assumption that 4 neighboring frets can be played with each consecutive finger

- if i raise the middle finger, I get a natural position for the WH structure (W - whole step, H-half step)
- if I raise the ring finger, I get a natural position for the HW structure
- if I need to tackle W W structure, or even a WHWH one, I will use the index, middle and pinky

When frets become smaller, things change a bit because the pinky is harder to use.

How do you see the geometry of the fretboard in respect to these aspects?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:23 AM