Jazz Rhythm And Picking
Phil666
Oct 22 2009, 10:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi everybody,

I'm getting curious about Jazz but I don't know where to start. I have several questions:
1 - suppose I have a chord chart of a jazz song without indication of rhythm. What is a "basic jazz rhythm"? for a pop/rock song, I know several rhythmic patterns that always work. But for Jazz I'm clueless....
2 - Is Jazz mostly fingerpick? (i'm still talking about rhythm)
3 - What jazz records are good for beginner? i'm interested in guitar, standard tunes, not too fancy interpretation.
4 - Any jazz book to recommend? for instance, analysis of standards. (I already know some basic theory).

Thanks,
P.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil666: Oct 22 2009, 10:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 22 2009, 11:08 PM
Instructor
There are many ways to play rhythm in Jazz manner, finger picking,
pick only, pick and fingers, with the thumb (Wes style) etc,
all versions are good as long as they work within song.

As for 2 other questions, I would simply use the machine in front of you
and start searching Youtube (jazz standards) and google (Jazz theory). smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 22 2009, 11:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil666 @ Oct 22 2009, 11:54 PM) *
Hi everybody,

I'm getting curious about Jazz but I don't know where to start. I have several questions:
1 - suppose I have a chord chart of a jazz song without indication of rhythm. What is a "basic jazz rhythm"? for a pop/rock song, I know several rhythmic patterns that always work. But for Jazz I'm clueless....
2 - Is Jazz mostly fingerpick? (i'm still talking about rhythm)
3 - What jazz records are good for beginner? i'm interested in guitar, standard tunes, not too fancy interpretation.
4 - Any jazz book to recommend? for instance, analysis of standards. (I already know some basic theory).

Thanks,
P.

Hi P,

I will try to answer your questions smile.gif

1. Basic jazz rhythm varies regarding the style of jazz you play. There could be swing or bossa nova feel. This is the most basic way to deduct jazz into styles. Swing style has many variations as well as bossa nova. Idea is to listen to actual jazz music and pay attention to what piano and guitar are doing when comping (playing harmonic rhythm). Tempo and style play a key role in determining what type of rhythm is played so pay attention to that as well.
2. Jazz is not mostly fingerpick - lots of jazz guitarists use pick when strumming,especially when soloing.
3. If you are just starting and want just straight standard tunes by guitar players, I would recommend Joe Pass. He plays a lot of simple jazz chord melodies and there are plenty of recordings where he does things in various band settings. Joe Pass is a must for starters, you can then check out Jim Hall and don't forget Wes Montgomery!
4. If I understood this correct, you want a book that analyzes jazz standards? I am sorry but I can't recommend such a book as I was taught by numerous other methods how to learn to analyze standards. I never had a book that had things pre analyzed - if that makes sense. Get a real book 5th edition and start analyzing standards in there - you have lots of material to work with in there!

Hope this was useful to you, let me know if you have any more questions.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil666
Oct 24 2009, 05:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for your answers. I'll get some Joe Pass albums and a real book and start from there.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 24 2009, 09:31 PM
Instructor
Sounds good Phil smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleak
Oct 26 2009, 02:04 PM
GMC:er
If ur looking to get into jazz then I would learn some tunes.. you get to know the style, learn some jazz theory and improvising etc

I have this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Rock-Fusion-L...1733&sr=8-1

Its a jazz fusion book, so takes some elements of jazz and some elements of other music.. this books has some classic jazz/jazz fusion composers - Chick Corea, Miles Davies, Herbie Hancock, Mike Stern etc. Its a really decent price and you get a backing track for solos! Check out ur local music store, they might have it.. or just get something similar, certainly helped me alot

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:21 PM