2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Lydian, modes
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2014, 03:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jun 12 2014, 07:17 PM) *
so far I understand the whole if you play in c major and start with f you're in lydian? but honestly i dont get the steve vai video about starting in B, or where the f sharp comes from :/

yes, you are in F Lydian, but you need F maj chord in the backing, if you have C maj chord in the backing, it will sound C ionian.

I'm checking the video and I can see how the guitarist says clearly that he plays B major over E chord to get E Lydian sound. I'm not sure about the part that is confusing you. Is there a minute/seconds that you can mark in the video?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 13 2014, 01:10 PM
Instructor
And in order to make things clearer smile.gif Marco, have you understood the difference between modes being created from the same root and modes as being derived from each step of a major scale?

The parallel and the derivative approach

- parallel - creating each mode from the same root - choose a root - C for instance, and apply the formula of each mode starting from C
- derivative - seeing each mode as being derived from a step of the natural major scale (the premisses you started the discussion on)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
enlo22
Jun 15 2014, 09:16 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
ok guys,I finally understand it smile.gif thanks for your inputs!
now i'm confused about if you're playing in a minor key lol, how do modes work there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 16 2014, 10:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Jun 15 2014, 08:16 PM) *
ok guys,I finally understand it smile.gif thanks for your inputs!
now i'm confused about if you're playing in a minor key lol, how do modes work there?

Minor modes bro smile.gif Please re-read my last post in order to have the first approach fresh in mind.

Minor modes contain b3 in their formula and major modes contain a 3rd in their formula, so if you want to use a minor mode - take Dorian, Aeolian or Phrygian for instance.

If we form them from the key of C we'll have:

C Dorian - 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 - C D Eb F G A Bb - what major scale is this one derived from?
C Phrygian - 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 - C Db Eb F G Ab Bb - what major scale is this one derived from?
C Aeolian - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 - C D Eb F G Ab Bb - how about this one?

Let's see your answers and I'll take you through this one further wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2014, 03:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Enlo, please check your inbox! I've sent you a message with an idea.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:56 PM