pinched harmonics, for the love of god, how do i get it?
Ozz_coz
Nov 27 2006, 01:50 AM
GMC:er
Hey yall, i got this major problem here.. See, i wanna be able to do those freakin cool harmonic squeals like pinched harmonics that zakk wylde and my all time fav, dimebag darrell(R.I.P) were the absolute gods of...
i've tried the various recommended techniques like only allowing da barest hint of the tip of my pick to protrude and digging into the strings hard so dat the string bounces of the pick into my thumb, but still no squeals!!..
i've tried the 'hotspots', ie... 3rd, 7th and 12th frets but still nothin...

could it be the settings of my amp?? i heard using alot of gain and volume as well as reverb help, but all i get is a hell of a racket esp when i turn the gain up, i'd prob go deaf in 3 seconds. little help from anyone??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 27 2006, 08:04 AM
GMC Founder
Have you tried picking on different spots with your right hand? A mm up or down can make a huge difference.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DanielM
Nov 27 2006, 09:37 AM
yeah you need to pick at the points that are nodes on the wave to produce harmonic frequencies. just move your right hand left and right picking until you get that squeal.

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Nov 27 2006, 02:01 PM
Always bugged me this, I can do sometimes lol. I noticed that the possition varied from one of my guitars to the other. you just have to find the sweet spot. There is loads on this subject on the net and im sure we have talked about it in the forums. (well i have but i may have been a year ago) does ultimate guitar have a lesson on this? im sure they do

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
n0x
Nov 27 2006, 03:12 PM
yeah, also getting "thicker" strings helps and when you pinch the string, do it over one of ur pickups. I can do it when I really want to, but not when im soloing quickly and feel like it:P still need prac sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Ozz_coz
Nov 27 2006, 04:32 PM
alrighty then, i guess da only way is to grind it out and keep practicing. thanks for the tips!

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Nov 28 2006, 02:42 PM
Maybe this video will help
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/fea..._harmonics.html

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Nov 28 2006, 05:03 PM
^Yup, great vid, how I learned how to do it.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
n0x
Nov 28 2006, 10:03 PM
QUOTE (Ozz_coz @ Nov 27 2006, 07:32 PM) *
alrighty then, i guess da only way is to grind it out and keep practicing. thanks for the tips!

Bah, the download link doesnt workD:

perhaps kris should work on one himself:P

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 28 2006, 10:15 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (n0x @ Nov 29 2006, 12:03 AM) *
Bah, the download link doesnt workD:

perhaps kris should work on one himself:P

I have made a dvd called QuickStart course which has an in-depth section on harmonics. (All kinds)

However, we are likely to see such a lesson here too! smile.gif=

--Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
n0x
Nov 29 2006, 03:45 PM
I was kidding:D that would be wicked tho hehe.

Kris is the Joe Satriani of teachers wink.gif ~.~

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:44 PM