Kris' Bouncy Challenge, Come bounce with me!
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 19 2014, 11:46 AM
GMC Founder
This one is for you.

Not for the guy beside you.

Not for the GMC:er on the other side of the globe, who is about to comment on Ben’s thread.

It’s for YOU.

You get it?

It’s for YOU.

---

For this little challenge you don’t need to play something that sounds particularly good, melodic, fast or whatever.

And you can stick to your favorite scale - the A minor pentatonic:

So what’s the catch, I hear you think?

- I want you to play with groove. You should make me want to dance, jump and swing my hips. And I want you to play over this backing track from my ‘Bouncy Fun’ lesson:

Attached File  Jam_track.mp3 ( 9.85MB ) Number of downloads: 117

Now the good news is you really don’t need to play anything special, in fact you can probably get away just playing one single note. But this backing track is very static harmony wise, so you will probably need to try to get some kind of rhythm going on (since there is no obvious melody or harmony to follow).

One way to approach this, is to put your guitar down, and just listen to the backing. First tap your foot to the beat, then see if you can groove along a little bit with your whole body (hey nobody’s watching you anyway - and this is for a good cause!). When you start feeling comfortable with the groove, then start listening for a melody or rhythm in your head. If you prefer ‘stealing’ an existing rhythm - ie from music that you listen to - then go ahead. The next step is either to start humming/singing a melody, or…

...grab your guitar and start jamming. Have fun. Don’t think so much about what you are playing, just do whatever comes to your mind. Maybe you’ll get more inspiration if you play standing up, turn down the lights and rock away. Once again - you don’t need to apply that tricky fingering you’re working on, or that super neat arpeggio shape. One note is enough. Feel the groove.

When you have had enough and want to move on, record your playing and upload it here.

I hope we can get some analysing going on - and maybe borrow ideas from each other.

-----------

Ok so what’s really the point of this challenge, besides making you look like a fool in your bedroom?! Well think about it - if you can create a cool groove over a static backing with just a few notes - how cool is your playing going to sound over a fully scaled backing track? I think you’re going to rock harder than ever!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:07 PM