> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

19 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Victor's Thread, for Gab's Army
Victor Simion
Jul 27 2021, 06:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Here is another video something different this time.
I'm focusing on my timing issues, I see that I tent to play to early ahead of the bit.
I tried playing those riffs for more than an hour and this is the best I could do.

1. Any Advice on the timing issues?

2. I added an EQ with some treble to the tone. What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Kai_Hansen.zip ( 4.82K ) Number of downloads: 74

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2021, 02:58 PM
Instructor
Hi Victor,

Your timing is good when playing I'm alive, but you are rushing a bit when playing the first half of "Eagle Fly Free". You need to polish it. I think that this can be related to a tempo issue. In other words, it's a bit fast and you need more time of practice to get used to that picking. I would practice it at slower tempo and increase it gradually.

Regarding the tone, the EQ balance sounds good. But I'm not entirely convinced with the sound. Have you tried any other amp plug-ins?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jul 28 2021, 03:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Regarding the timing, I feel like I sometimes rush a bit.
It feels like it's impossible to play exactly like the computer.
What do you think, it should be 100% like a computer?

Regarding the tone, I am using Guitar Rig 5, not sure what do to more.
Can you help me create a better tone?
I have attached the tone made by me in the previous post.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Jul 28 2021, 03:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2021, 05:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jul 28 2021, 11:13 AM) *
Regarding the timing, I feel like I sometimes rush a bit.
It feels like it's impossible to play exactly like the computer.
What do you think, it should be 100% like a computer?

No, you don't have to sound like a computer, but you need to be able to keep the tempo regular and go as tight as possible with the drums. We don't sound quantized like a midi, there is some organic movement in what we play, but metal (as many other genres) require tightness.

Don't rush this medley. Use it as an excuse to work on your timing. As we did with previous lessons, work on smaller blocks, and create variations (make your own exercises).

This lesson can be a good complement:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/German...etal-Helloween/

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jul 28 2021, 11:13 AM) *
Regarding the tone, I am using Guitar Rig 5, not sure what do to more.
Can you help me create a better tone?
I have attached the tone made by me in the previous post.

I don't use Guitar Rig, so I cannot open your preset. I'm currently using Neural DSP plug-ins.

On a side note, this company offers a free metal amp that seems to sound very good.

https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/amped-roots

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 28 2021, 05:28 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jul 28 2021, 08:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, great Helloween lesson, this is something that I must practice also.

Very important to work on my timing, otherwise I won't be able to record any song I compose.

And regarding tone, I will search for Guitar Rig 5 (metal) tones, and see which one fits better (maybe change it a little bit) instead of creating one from scratch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 29 2021, 07:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jul 28 2021, 04:45 PM) *
Yes, great Helloween lesson, this is something that I must practice also.

Great!

Very important to work on my timing, otherwise I won't be able to record any song I compose.

Sure! It's essential.

And regarding tone, I will search for Guitar Rig 5 (metal) tones, and see which one fits better (maybe change it a little bit) instead of creating one from scratch.

That's a good idea. I'm sure that you'll find some cool Power Metal tones on YouTube.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jul 29 2021, 06:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Practicing Helloween style using your lesson, and the Eagle Fly Free Riff and also experimenting with tones.
I searched a lot of metal tones for Guitar Rig 5 and found 2 tones that I like one is called "Accept Rhythm" and the other one "Marshall".
I am playing the same thing but when exporting from Reaper I just changed the tone that was used (after recording the take).

I also attached my mp3 files here, because I can not hear any difference in the tone on Helloween style lesson on youtube, so for a better comparison you can have a look at the mp3 files.

On Eagle Fly Free Riff, I can hear that the "Accept Rhythm" tone sounds a little brighter than the "Marshall" tone.

- Let me know what you think about the tones
- And about my guitar playing

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Helloween___Lesson__Accept_Rhythm_Tone_.mp3 ( 1004.49K ) Number of downloads: 57
Attached File  Helloween___Lesson__Accept_Rhythm_Tone_.mp3 ( 1004.49K ) Number of downloads: 60
Attached File  Helloween___Lesson__Marshall_Tone_.mp3 ( 1004.49K ) Number of downloads: 64
Attached File  Helloween___Eagle_Fly_Free__Accept_RhythmTone_.mp3 ( 428.16K ) Number of downloads: 57
Attached File  Helloween___Eagle_Fly_Free__Marshall_Tone_.mp3 ( 428.16K ) Number of downloads: 58

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 2 2021, 02:05 PM
Instructor
Hi Victor! How are you?

Good stuff here! I think that working on the Helloween lesson is a good idea to train your timing. You are not playing it tight at this point so I suggest you use the slower backing tracks for practice. You need to be sure that you are going tight with the backing track until you increase the tempo. I notice that you go after the beat most of the time in both videos.

Regarding your tone, I think these new presets are much better than the previous ones that you've used. I prefer the Marshall tone because the EQ balance feels better, and it also has less drive. You can give it some small tweaks once you shoot the final take, but you can keep practicing with this one.

Finally, 'Eagle Fly Free riff' is getting better too. I think you have to keep practicing it to feel more comfortable, to be able to economize movements (small movements), and make it sound cleaner.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Aug 2 2021, 08:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi, thanks for the tips.

I this I neglected Rhythm playing, focusing too much on speed exercises my whole life as a guitar player. (and still I haven't reach the speed I want)

But anyway, lots of work to do.

I will start working on rhythm slowly and step by step.
I will play Helloween Lesson at all speeds starting very slow at the beginning, at 50%.

And also I will practice this easy lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-Power-Chords/, because, being easy I can focus on getting the timing right.

The next step will be this one:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/
But unfortunately is tuned 1/2 step down, and it has no guitar pro file, but I can fix this small problems.

And another one that I like is, but this one is above my level:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Judas-...est-2018-Style/

But as I said I will start slowly easy, and play step by step.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Aug 2 2021, 09:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2021, 05:53 PM
Instructor
Hi Victor,

I also prioritized lead guitar when starting to play guitar. As soon as I joined my first profesional band (it was a power/progressive band) at the age of 17, I had to work a lot (long days) on my metal rhythm technique. That's why I always recommend students to try to be balanced. We love practicing lead but most of the time we have to play rhythm! laugh.gif

I think that you could check out my power metal series. The German and Finnish series are great to train your rhythm (Edguy's style is similar to the one by Marcus Siepen). The good news is that all my lessons are in standard tuning.

Regarding the Judas Priest lesson, I think that you could start with this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metall...-For-Beginners/

and then this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Anvil-Style/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Aug 5 2021, 08:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

I am working on Metallica Lesson.

Here is my Video
I memorized almost all the lesson except for the last lead parts.

And I have a little problem with the part that I circled in red, because that power chord is starting before the next measure and it gives me some trouble. Not sure if this is happening in this video, but I have to pay extra attention to that part.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2021, 03:04 PM
Instructor
Hello Victor!

I think that this lesson is a great choice for you, but you need to slow down. There are 2 important things to improve:

- TIMING
- PALM MUTING SOUND

I notice timing issues in many parts. You tend to rush the riffs and chords and play them before the beat. The part that you are marking (red box) is the trickier one because it's a chord played on the upbeat, but you also rush other chords and riffs that are played on the beat.

Do you know the difference between a downbeat and upbeat?

I think that you need to divide this lesson in smaller parts (and practice these parts as loops) and put all your focus on going tighter with the backing track. I also recommend you to practice at slower tempos. You can use any of the slower backing tracks, or even the guitar pro file which can more helpful to get familiar with the new rhythms. Remember that you can create loops easily in Guitar Pro.

If possible close your eyes while playing to feel the groove, and follow the rhythm with your head, body and/or feet.

Regarding the 2nd important thing to improve, I think that the down picking on the sixth string with palm muting could sound better. Experiment with the hand position and the amount of pressure that you make.

If possible share videos playing each of the parts as a loop at a tempo that allows you to play accurately.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Aug 6 2021, 04:07 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Aug 6 2021, 03:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Thank you for the tips.
You got my name wrong I am Victor.

Regarding the lesson, I see that I have to do a lot of work.

Not sure what you mean when you refer to downbeat and upbeat.

I will work on smaller parts an try to fix them and share some video for each part.

Regarding Timing, I see that I tend to rush in my playing and that is happening in everything I play, even if I slow the backing track.
Don't know if this is related to the fact that I rarely played rhythm guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Aug 6 2021, 04:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Or maybe I should try to start with something easier.

And this is the easiest exercise I can think of:

And as you can see I still have trouble staying on time.
Any advice?

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Aug 6 2021, 05:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2021, 05:11 PM
Instructor

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Aug 6 2021, 06:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

I am practicing downbeats.
This should be an easy exercise and still I have trouble staying on the beat.

Is there anything else I can do to fix it?
Or all I have to do is just keep on practicing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2021, 07:39 PM
Instructor
It sounds good mate. The secret is daily practice. Be patient and play these exercises every day. Use different tempos and practice both downbeats and upbeats.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Aug 6 2021, 08:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Then I will continue practicing downbeats and upbeats with metronome, to fix my timing.

And I will practice this lesson since I find it much easier than Metallica https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-Power-Chords/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Aug 7 2021, 02:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

I want to let you know that I made a practice routine for now:

1. Rhythm Exercises including downbeats and upbeats and some palm muting done with metronome in Reaper.
(Take a look at the attached file)

2. Practicing power chords lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-Power-Chords/
This lesson being easy gives me time to focus on my timing.

3. Metallica for beginners Lesson:

I see that I am still most of the time rushing to play, but I think here it's a bit of an improvment from my last video.
I don't know what is causing me to rush, to play faster.

4. Some hand synch exercises, that we had previously talked about.
Here is an example.

So let me know what you think about my practice routine and my new playing video from Reaper.

Is it ok for you to see my playing in Reaper or do you prefer a video where you can see me playing my guitar?

I always check my timing using Reaper, because I can't always hear if it's played on time or not.

This could also be the issue, because if I can't hear that my timing is a little off, then I can't fix it.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Aug 7 2021, 05:55 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2021, 04:15 PM
Instructor
Hi Victor! Good work!

I think that your current practice routine is exactly what you need. Please keep on practicing these exercises (including the hand sync ones). It's essential to continue recording yourself and analyzing your timing. In addition to working on your sound and technique, you should always focus on playing the lessons and exercises accurately/tight.

I can hear the timing issues when playing Metallica's lesson. The parts that need more attention are the single string riffs, and the palm muted down picking. Let me insist that you need to work on smaller blocks and build exercises as we did with the Hand Sync lesson. You can take 1 measure or 2 and play it as a loop.

The hand sync one sounds tighter but there is still room to polish it.

Regarding your question about the videos, it's always better to see you playing, but if this videos are easier to make, you can toggle between one and the other.

PS: Please go for that Lian's lesson as well!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:07 AM