> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Posterboy’s Modern Riffing Workshop, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2014, 02:40 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, how are you?

It's been a long while since we used this thread and I was wondering about the things you've been working on the last months. I'm listening to the song that you shared here and it sounds really nice, I would like to hear the finished version if you finally decided to record it.

Are you working on some new music? Are there new goals to achieve? What are you currently practicing?

I think that doing some kind of balances and auto critic is great to see if we are on the right path so let's use this thread for that. I can help you with some feedback, exercises, suggestions or new plans based on your goals.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 15 2016, 09:44 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey look at this your worst and laziest student is back.

I need your mentoring and production skills.

I have many half written songs and ideas and I feel 2016 is the year to start a project and actually see it through to the end.

This track is right in your area of expertise it's a punk poppy type of song and even with the riffs and structure sorted out, I've recorded two guitar tracks but need your help writing the bass track, your ideas for additional guitars, guitar tones etc to make a full awesome track. I have some lyric ideas and melody lines I just need to get them down and fit them to the track.

I've uploaded the rough track to get your thoughts, anything can be changed at this stage!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  new_rock.mp3 ( 6.87MB ) Number of downloads: 110

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 15 2016, 04:00 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Welcome back!

The idea sounds really cool! It reminds me to great pop punk bands, and the first that come to mind is Jimy Eat World. Before you start writing bass, why don't you analyze what the bass plays in some of their songs? It will give you ideas on how to get out from the only roots bass lines. Foo Fighters punk rock songs also include cool bass lines so you could check out some of them.

The bass line doesn't have to be complex, but some "clever" ideas can make it sound much more interesting.

I also think that you need to work a bit more on drum grooves and fills. Analyzing some music will also give you ideas. As you are not a drummer or bass player, you need to learn some songs with that approach to have some ideas.

The guitar works sound good here, I think that you need to work on the other instruments to then get back to guitars, and maybe simplify things.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 15 2016, 05:24 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the advice. I'll start listening to songs with a similar vibe and checking the drums and bass out

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 17 2016, 07:01 PM
Instructor
Cool! I'm curious to know about how the analysis goes. Have you started?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 27 2016, 11:27 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab.

I know I'm a man of many false starts! but I'm back in your capable hands again.

As I told Todd in my Shred Journey thread with him, I have just quite my position on my church band, I feel that strangely was keeping me from progressing as a guitarist as they didn't take musicianship that seriously and the music was very uninspiring.

So know I not only have more spare time, but a big void in my musical life to fill with you and Todd mentoring my guitar journey!

I have been practicing this morning with the Skate Punk lesson we were working on soo long ago and I've got it almost to where I left off. I'll post a video later (actions speak louder than words!)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 27 2016, 05:14 PM
Instructor
Cool! smile.gif

I'd like to hear what are your goals as guitarist and musician at this moment. Please be clear and wide if it's possible.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 27 2016, 06:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Modern Rock and 80's Hard Rock Rhythm is something that I'd like to work on, I come from a chord strumming background rather than riffs or the combination of both, so I'd like to get more familiarity with that side of things.

From a soloing point I'd like to be able to use the pentatonics better than I do. I can create quite melodic solos that have a singable quality but a lack of runs and licks, this is possible down to my lack of speed, which hopefully working with you and Todd will progress. I've noticed in a hard rock/blues rock area I have very little material to draw from.

I have a good theory knowledge but due to lack of fingers on fretboard time it's pure head knowledge and not apparent in my playing.

Players that make me sit up and take notice are

Slash - He's just rock and roll to me, quite a scrappy player but great vibe
Nuno - What a great right hand, great rhythm player as well as amazing solos
Dann Huff - Giant might have come out at the wrong time and were a little cheesy but he is an amazing yet very tasty player
David Grissom - I love roots rock, a mix of rock country and blues and singer songwriter style and he make every note count
George Lynch - Classic Hard Rock Guitarist

At the end of the day I'm 42 and unlikely to join a heavy rock band etc but I'd love the music and would like to have the ability to be a local sideman with the technical skill and vocabulary to work with most artists about the city.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 28 2016, 10:20 AM
Learning Roadie
Here's where I caught up to with the Skate Punk lesson after a two sessions of going back over it

160 bpm I had played it better but this was the best recorded take just before hand fatigue started to set in.

I have a horrible feeling to get faster I'll need to use strict Alt picking on the double picked notes which I naturally don't do to avoid inside picking! but we'll see.

The guitar was a touch out of tune and there are some silly mistakes on the easy octave part but it is what it is!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 28 2016, 04:06 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the complete info.

I've been thinking on a guitar plan for you based on assignments with very precise tasks and deadlines. I assume that you'll work on your technique/speed with Todd so I won't focus this program on it. We will go for rhythm, phrasing and improvisation in order to be able to play your favorite songs but also to be able to improvise solos and compose your own music.

What do you think? Could you please share here 5 songs that you'd like to master?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 28 2016, 05:26 PM
Learning Roadie

As for more Modern Rock I'm happy to work on any of your Post Hardcore and punk type lessons

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jun 28 2016, 05:27 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 29 2016, 08:55 PM
Instructor
Ok mate! So here we go!

ASSIGNMENT 1:

Goals:

- Getting into minor phrasing
- Learning first part of Burn.

TASK 1:

Learn the riff, verse and chorus of the song Burn (from beginning to 01:15 of the video that you've shared)

https://youtu.be/K7W7HDfFhS0

Use your ears, any youtube tutorial or google for tabs. Practice it over a backing track or over the song.

TASK 2:

Learn the first 50 seconds of this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/C-Minor-Soul-Blues/

Practice it over the backing track, and once you can play relatively well the licks, practice creating variations and mixing the licks with your own licks.

Exam and deadline:

By July 14th you'll have to share 3 videos:

- A video playing the licks from the Minor Blues Soul lesson (4 coins)
- A second video improvising over the backing track. (3 coins)
- A video playing the parts learnt by the song Burn (3 coins)

Each of this videos will be evaluated (check the coins value below). You need to get at least 7 coins to pass. If you pass, we can continue, if you don't you will have a second "call".

Are you in?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 30 2016, 05:25 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm on it!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2016, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Excellent! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 7 2016, 09:00 AM
Learning Roadie
I've only found a tution for the Deep Purple version of Burn, which is a little in the verse and chorus than BCC's. I'm getting the riff up to speed.

Trying to get a clean take of the C Minor Soul Blues licks, there is nothing like recording to show how inconsistence my play is!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 8 2016, 03:04 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the update. Both things sound good! Keep going! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 12 2016, 08:24 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm not particularly proud of these, my ghost note slides are out of time in places, I've been struggling to make the two triplet licks flow properly. but this is where I'm at with this, I've played it better a few times or so, and I've played it much worse many more times!!!! lol

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2016, 08:08 PM
Instructor
Good job mate! I can see that you've been working hard! Are these the the final takes for the assignment?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 14 2016, 09:21 AM
Learning Roadie
I hope they aren't I know I can play it better, but I do need to put a lot more time into the other tasks

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 14 2016, 01:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 14 2016, 05:21 AM) *
I hope they aren't I know I can play it better, but I do need to put a lot more time into the other tasks

Ok, I was just asking since the takes are good! If you feel that you can do a better take go for it, if not we can go for one of these.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 05:40 PM