2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Scales
iamblackmo
Sep 1 2009, 12:58 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Murloc @ Aug 28 2009, 05:36 PM) *
How do you create songs out of scales? How do you know what scale a song is in? What does it meen with different patterns or boxes? What does pentatonic meen? Why dont I understand any of this stuff?

The site Ivan linked to you is great and Emir's statement is dead-on true.

Lead guitar and improvisation can be an adventure, a learning journey, and experience that you will never forget and will be able to share with others. As you learn piece by piece, more and more makes sense.

I started playing rock rhythm guitar and wanted to venture into lead: That is when I started subscribing here and the theory knowledge that I never learned in High School band has made me a prospect for lead guitar by several bands in the area.

It is not the technical skill I gained, it is the ability of envisioning a song and taking it from a blind riff to a full-composition.

It is a wonderful feeling when you can harmonize over other peoples ideas or just pick up the instrument and know "where to lay the strokes of the paint brush"

Thanks for the suggestion on the Jazz Theory book, btw: As strongly as you guys recommend it, I ordered it from Amazon about 33 dollars. I don't have much money as a student but anything that lets one expand their artistic and emotional output is worth time and money.

-Mo

Also,

Not to slight any other instructor who may do this. As you expand, watching David Walliman's videos are extremely informative. He will always have a discussion before the lesson.

Some of the things he may say could fly right over your head but your goal may be to understand all of these concepts in the future. I also found that even the guitarist's with untouchable skill on this level are so humble that you can expect an answer, no matter how simple you may think it is, from the likes of Muris or Ivan.

Don't be afraid to ask, study during every session you get, and observe the play of others very carefully.

(I think I learned more about lead dynamics from watching hours upon hours of Slash live performances than I did playing tab after tab of GnR.)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Farmer Joe
Sep 7 2009, 08:11 PM
GMC:er
Just received my copy of The Jazz Theory Book in the mail. Looks pretty good smile.gif I'm going to start reading a bit now, thanks for the suggestion, Pedja

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 10:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Farmer Joe @ Sep 7 2009, 09:11 PM) *
Just received my copy of The Jazz Theory Book in the mail. Looks pretty good smile.gif I'm going to start reading a bit now, thanks for the suggestion, Pedja

Awesome Joe!
Have fun reading it, let me know how it goes smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:51 AM