What Do You Say To A Question Like This " Are You Good At Guitar ? "
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 1 2007, 08:54 PM
GMC:er
I was talking to someone that never knew that I played guitar yesterday and he asked "Are you good at guitar ? "

I thought about it and I didnt know quite what to say?
What defines good on the guitar. Or for that matter great or even Excellent!
This might be a hard question to answer but if anyone has any general ideas feel free to share.

- John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
radarlove1984
Apr 3 2007, 08:28 PM
There's no right answer. It just depends on who's listening.

People will subjectively compare other guitarists to their favorites, then judge accordingly.

I've heard names like Steve Vai and Dimebag Darrell mentioned already. Personally, I don't think either one of them is very good. Their technique is amazing, but their music is terrible.

It's subjective. I'm right and you're wrong and that's the way it's going to be. And it's like that for everyone. You can't talk someone into liking another style of music by explaining that it's harder to play than the style they already listen to.

As far as I'm concerned, guitarists can only be objectively compared by their metronome BPM, but that isn't music and it doesn't prove one player is better than another. It just shows who has a better technique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ric
Apr 3 2007, 10:58 PM
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Apr 3 2007, 08:28 PM) *
As far as I'm concerned, guitarists can only be objectively compared by their metronome BPM, but that isn't music and it doesn't prove one player is better than another. It just shows who has a better technique.

I sort of see what you're saying - comparing players by metronome speeds just tells you who's fastest - not who's best.

What makes someone "best"? As people have already discussed, that's an unanswerable question - but I genuinely believe it has nothing to do with speed, and lots to do with technique and, more importantly, musical inspiration.

It's a bit like when I'm riding my 'bike - speed in the right place is awesome (ZX6R A1P if anyone's interested biggrin.gif ), but used inappropriately it's plain stupid. What gets best results, however, is to have the skills and techniques and to apply them in all the right places.

I think the right answer to the original question is a confident "I'm okay". This suggests that you're confident in your own ability - but you know and acknowledge that there are far better players than you.

After all, if you were asked, are you a good bike rider, how many people on the planet could possibly answer "I'm brilliant"? Rossi, Doohan and others at the same level.

But the rest? Pedrosa, Edwards, Hayden and all the others - utterly brilliant as they are - would still have to concede that they could do better.

Are you really one of the top ten best players on the planet? Probably not*. In which case, humility and humbleness is by far the best way to go - and if it's a girl who's asking, then you're going to score far more points by being understated and quietly confident than by being egotistical and arrogant wink.gif

* I say this as probably one of the world's top ten worst players at the moment... but I'm working on it!

--------------------
Barmy Army! Barmy Army!

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Eat-Sleep-andJam   What Do You Say To A Question Like This " Are You Good At Guitar ? "   Apr 1 2007, 08:54 PM
- - ezravdb   I think about this a lot and I have no damn clue   Apr 1 2007, 09:08 PM
- - Ryan   Well i think of a good ploayer is person that can ...   Apr 1 2007, 09:47 PM
- - Pavel   Well i often get asked that question. And you know...   Apr 1 2007, 09:49 PM
|- - beebo   You know it's hard to tell yourself if your go...   Apr 2 2007, 12:20 AM
nnn
- - Wallimann   My advice : never answer to that question... To qu...   Apr 2 2007, 12:35 AM
- - Eat-Sleep-andJam   all good answers. just this is kinda like when som...   Apr 2 2007, 02:36 AM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 1 200...   Apr 2 2007, 02:41 AM
nnn
- - The Uncreator   I Always just say "hell im better than everyo...   Apr 2 2007, 03:49 AM
- - VinceG   if you play with emotions then people wont give yo...   Apr 2 2007, 05:55 AM
- - Marcus   "I can play a few songs"   Apr 2 2007, 08:28 AM
- - Kristofer Dahl   Yes this is a very diffuclt and common question......   Apr 2 2007, 10:42 AM
|- - Zee Deveel   QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 2 2007, 10:42...   Apr 4 2007, 10:42 PM
nnn
- - MeTaL GoD DIME   this question is pretty much impossible to answer ...   Apr 3 2007, 03:32 AM
- - Eat-Sleep-andJam   QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 2 2007, 01:42...   Apr 3 2007, 03:40 AM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 2 200...   Apr 3 2007, 04:00 AM
nnn
- - Gabriel Leopardi   It's a difficult question... I agree with Pav...   Apr 3 2007, 04:47 AM
nnn
- - wheeler   My reply to this question always has been, and hop...   Apr 3 2007, 11:30 PM
- - jeff   Always say "yes". Think positive and be...   Apr 4 2007, 05:51 PM
- - Kristofer Dahl   I would answer no. If I ever start thinking great ...   Apr 4 2007, 06:00 PM
|- - jeff   QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 4 2007, 06:00...   Apr 4 2007, 09:12 PM
nnn
- - Tolek   I have many points of view:My guitar teacher, all ...   Apr 4 2007, 09:39 PM
- - moles   when people ask me i hardly ever give them a strai...   Apr 5 2007, 01:51 AM
- - Eat-Sleep-andJam   Next time someone asks me this very question im g...   Apr 7 2007, 05:54 PM
- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Apr 7 200...   Apr 7 2007, 06:44 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:13 AM