Marshall Valvestate 8100, Anyone know the model?
Nava
Aug 1 2014, 12:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi guys!

I have recently seen an add where a guy sells a Marshall Valvestate 8100 with a Marshall Cabinett 4*12
for (in my ears) the cheap amount of 450 Euro.

I know that just some Cabs are worth around 450-500 euro alone...

But it is playable? Worth to gig with?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If it sounds good, it IS good! And if you think its good then there is gonna be someone else in the world that thinks its good:)Wise words from former instructor Marcus Lavendell.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 1 2014, 04:44 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I used these one many times and I don't remember it as a great amp. It's not a bad one, but I honestly prefer tube amps much more compared to this one. The distortion is not clear and sounds "cheap" to my ears, it doesn't have enough dynamics and definition. If you think it's a good deal because of the cabinet, you can go for it, but if you want to get a pro sounding head, this is not the best election among the cheap amps. You should go for a tube amp or for a solid state with a more modern technology.

However, amps election depends a lot on tastes and purposes, so once you have some more opinions here, I would suggest you to go and try it by yourself to make your own opinion about it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Nava
Aug 1 2014, 05:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yeah, thx Gab!
So its NOT an tube amp then.. Figures the price wink.gif

But how is it with the clean channel if u use pedals? Like an overdrive or this BOSS Metal Core?

I was searching for a "cheap" set for my son. He is 16 now and he has got an opportunity to join a rock/metal band where the other ones is about 20 years old.

He was on a tryout with his Blackstar HT5 but it was way to small rolleyes.gif But they liked him anyway and now he is in need of a good starting set for not that much money...

Any suggestions on something to play with a band?

--------------------
If it sounds good, it IS good! And if you think its good then there is gonna be someone else in the world that thinks its good:)Wise words from former instructor Marcus Lavendell.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 2 2014, 12:57 AM
GMC:er
Well that's a bit different smile.gif In your first post it sounded like you were asking for yourself? If it's for your son to use in his first band, it's a pretty good deal and it will be loud enough so that he can hear himself play when the drummer starts going crazy smile.gif

On the positive side, it's 100 watts and it says MARSHALL on it, as well as the cab which is about half the battle when you are young and playing in a Metal band smile.gif If he keeps at it, he can always replace the head with something nicer at some point and use this one as a backup and still keep using the cab.

So fir his first half stack, I"d say the price seems right and fits the application, so sure smile.gif

If you are looking for a head for yourself, I'd stay GABE is spot on and you should look for something probably tube based, or if you go solid state, trust your ears and make sure the amp behaves like you want.

Todd

QUOTE (Nava @ Aug 1 2014, 12:53 PM) *
Yeah, thx Gab!

But how is it with the clean channel if u use pedals? Like an overdrive or this BOSS Metal Core?

I was searching for a "cheap" set for my son. He is 16 now and he has got an opportunity to join a rock/metal band where the other ones is about 20 years old.

He was on a tryout with his Blackstar HT5 but it was way to small rolleyes.gif But they liked him anyway and now he is in need of a good starting set for not that much money...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 2 2014, 04:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nava @ Aug 1 2014, 01:53 PM) *
Yeah, thx Gab!

This post changes the things as Todd sayd. If you are looking for a cheap amp for your song playing with the band, go for it! I started playing with a Marshall 8080 Valvestate, and I've even played some professional shows with it when I was around 17. Then I bought a tube amp. Using a pedal distortion can be a good option, the clean channel is ok for that. I tried a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hide on a valvestate and it was a cool distortion.

So again, now that you said the purpose, my opinion is go for it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Nava
Aug 2 2014, 06:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok then biggrin.gif

We checked another one also and this one is a tube amp if I understand it correct.
A Peavey Windsor 100W top with cab. For 300 Euro.

So its gonna be one of them and since the Peavey is a tube I guess its better?

If you are looking for a head for yourself, I'd stay GABE is spot on and you should look for something probably tube based, or if you go solid state, trust your ears and make sure the amp behaves like you want.

Todd
[/quote]

Thx for reply Todd!
But for myself, I have the honour to own a signature model. Only 1500 made in the world.
The Marshall YJM 100. Yes, Yngwie Malmsteen Signature model biggrin.gif

We were suppose to start this band but the interest among the others was none, so I have to see what happens. Maybe I sell it and put the money on my future studio or a couple of guitars maybe rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Aug 2 2014, 11:32 PM
QUOTE (Nava @ Aug 2 2014, 01:23 PM) *

No such thing as better when it comes to sound man. It comes down to what you like. Personally, I like the sound of tubes better in a live situation - but other people may tell you different. But when it comes down to a young band playing metal, nobody is going to be able to tell - it's so loud, and as long as they keep it tight, it will sound killer.

If your son is a virtuoso on the guitar,I would say go with tubes, or which ever amp sounds best playing a solo in the clean channel - it will be a "go-to" tone longer. But every guitarist fidgets with his/her tone from the day they pick up the guitar - it's a never ending battle.

You'll be happy with either decision. Please let us know, I'm anxious to find out which one he got! My father use to work as a Real Estate agent after he retired, and he paid me (as a gift) $600 for a sales brochure on a house he was showing - it was exactly the amount I needed for my first half stack - a Crate. The distortion was terrible in retrospect, but the clean channel was SILK!!! And to this day I have not found a better clean tone than that Crate amp. And I know Crate makes a lot better stuff now, but back then, it was a lemon, but it gave me enough drive and chunk to want to pick out songs, and later play in bands.

Your son is lucky to have a father that wants him to succeed - you can not lose with whatever you choose.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2014, 01:55 AM
The WINDSOR is a TUBE head, but it's a SINGLE CHANNEL head. So you pretty much have to use pedals with it and set the amp to a clean sound in order to be able to have clean and dirty. So you will need the stomp box distortion for dirty sounds, and the switch them off for clean sounds. Since this is a single channel amp, it doesnt have a "clean channel" cause it's only got one channel. So you may not have as much "head room" as you may want. In other words, the louder you turn it up, it will start to distort by itself.

Despite it being tube, I'd say grab the Marshall half stack not only for versatility (it's got a dedicated clean channel and a dedicated dirty channel) but also, it's a Marshall Half stack smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Nava @ Aug 2 2014, 01:23 PM) *
Ok then biggrin.gif

We checked another one also and this one is a tube amp if I understand it correct.
A Peavey Windsor 100W top with cab. For 300 Euro.

Todd

Thx for reply Todd!
But for myself, I have the honour to own a signature model. Only 1500 made in the world.
The Marshall YJM 100. Yes, Yngwie Malmsteen Signature model biggrin.gif

We were suppose to start this band but the interest among the others was none, so I have to see what happens. Maybe I sell it and put the money on my future studio or a couple of guitars maybe rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Nava
Aug 3 2014, 06:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Spock @ Aug 2 2014, 10:32 PM) *
No such thing as better when it comes to sound man. It comes down to what you like. Personally, I like the sound of tubes better in a live situation - but other people may tell you different. But when it comes down to a young band playing metal, nobody is going to be able to tell - it's so loud, and as long as they keep it tight, it will sound killer.

If your son is a virtuoso on the guitar,I would say go with tubes, or which ever amp sounds best playing a solo in the clean channel - it will be a "go-to" tone longer. But every guitarist fidgets with his/her tone from the day they pick up the guitar - it's a never ending battle.

You'll be happy with either decision. Please let us know, I'm anxious to find out which one he got! My father use to work as a Real Estate agent after he retired, and he paid me (as a gift) $600 for a sales brochure on a house he was showing - it was exactly the amount I needed for my first half stack - a Crate. The distortion was terrible in retrospect, but the clean channel was SILK!!! And to this day I have not found a better clean tone than that Crate amp. And I know Crate makes a lot better stuff now, but back then, it was a lemon, but it gave me enough drive and chunk to want to pick out songs, and later play in bands.

Your son is lucky to have a father that wants him to succeed - you can not lose with whatever you choose.

Thx for the inspiring words Spock!
Yes, we definitely will try it first and its true what u say, when they play tight it will sound great wink.gif
His not a virtuous bot not bad either, he will begin his second year in the direction of music and his bandmates is around 20., so he will play the rhythm guitar.
And yes, tone is so very individual!
I guess it will be the Marshall But he is gonna make the choice:)

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 3 2014, 12:55 AM) *
The WINDSOR is a TUBE head, but it's a SINGLE CHANNEL head. So you pretty much have to use pedals with it and set the amp to a clean sound in order to be able to have clean and dirty. So you will need the stomp box distortion for dirty sounds, and the switch them off for clean sounds. Since this is a single channel amp, it doesnt have a "clean channel" cause it's only got one channel. So you may not have as much "head room" as you may want. In other words, the louder you turn it up, it will start to distort by itself.

Despite it being tube, I'd say grab the Marshall half stack not only for versatility (it's got a dedicated clean channel and a dedicated dirty channel) but also, it's a Marshall Half stack smile.gif

Todd

Thx again Todd!
Your words will make the change biggrin.gif
We will go for the Marshall. But first do a soundcheck of course.
Thx for the input about the single channel!
Marshall it is then wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2014, 06:52 AM
Happy to help! smile.gif Shoot some pictures and record something to let us hear!

Todd

QUOTE (Nava @ Aug 3 2014, 01:49 PM) *
Thx for the inspiring words Spock!
Yes, w

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:50 AM