9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
A G/mc Collab!, Fiercesome adrenaline pumping through your veins to the sound of ROCK
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2015, 04:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 18 2015, 02:27 PM) *
Hello everyday one record - here it is ! tongue.gif

TIMING is real hard but i hope my ears getting better by time .

Gabriel i think i should concentrate - beside this collab - much more on only timing exercises .
I do recognize the rhythm timing but just do not get it into my movements - feeling its kind of strange, like starting to walk .
laugh.gif

Ok :

https://soundcloud.com/raven-wolffriend/acdc-coll-backing-3

https://soundcloud.com/raven-wolffriend/acdc-coll-no-backing

Hi Dieterle. What about working on timing using this backing?

We still have some time until the deadline of this one arrives and I think that we can use it to polish your timing. I have some simple assignments for you that will definitely help you to improve your timing and then be able to record a tighter take.

Let's start working at this thread: LINK

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 19 2015, 04:56 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Timing_Assignment_1.mp3 ( 171.44K ) Number of downloads: 112

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2015, 04:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Jan 19 2015, 11:58 AM) *
This is my first recording!

I'm open for comments.

Hi Beat! Thanks for your take. I like your phrasing on this one. There are cool melodies and bends that create a very good impact in the first half of the solo. I think that you have chosen very tasty notes over the different chords and that makes your solo good sounding. Your phrasing is very well structured and except on some little sections where your melodic lines seems to loss a bit direction, the overall solo has a very good evolution.

I think that this is a very strong take and that it just could be improved detecting some of the weaker parts where your phrasing seem to be following the scale instead of a melody, and go for more musical ideas or maybe something that contrasts with other sections. Maybe using some double string bends, harmonics, dynamic variations, and other elements that can add a new dimension to this cool solo.

Also be careful with the pitch of some bends (00:08, 00:20).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Jan 19 2015, 10:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
Attached File  IMG_0724.MOV ( 38.19MB ) Number of downloads: 315

well here is my first crack at it. definitley can be a lot cleaner but im just looking for a little feedback on how it was written before i worry about how clean it is

This post has been edited by Vinman56: Jan 19 2015, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 19 2015, 11:27 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Jan 19 2015, 03:58 PM) *
This is my first recording!

I'm open for comments.

Hey Beat, this take is yet a good illustration of how tasty your playing and sound is.

However having said this - I am going to disagree with Gab. I think you play veery safe here, to the point that this one feels slightly boring.

Many students here would love to have your level of musicality/tastiness - you have come a long way. But I think the best thing you can do now, is to start working in another direction.

Take some risks, be bold! I would like to see a take from you where we'll reject half of what you're doing as weird/off. Because I think the other half could then be really interesting.

Your music conveys that you are a stable and confident guy - and these are really good attributes. But for rock n roll that touches, we need more than that. Try to think of something that upsets, angers or excites you - or maybe even something that has been traumatic to you. What musical impulses do these feelings give you?

Check out Angus playing, how stable does he look? He is on fire and as stable as a bomb that's about to detonate, I'd say!! ph34r.gif

Let me know if this makes sense!

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 19 2015, 10:46 PM) *

well here is my first crack at it. definitley can be a lot cleaner but im just looking for a little feedback on how it was written before i worry about how clean it is

Very cool to have you in Vinman! biggrin.gif

I like the construction of this solo - you start out aggressively with the double stop to get some attention and then take the listener away for some cool and unpredictable rhythms - that's my style!! laugh.gif

As you said you could do some polishing (at the end from 00:24).

I really like the chorus part as well, as you go higher up on the neck for bending - it somehow gave me Brian Johnson vibes so you must have done something right there.

The recording quaulity is of course working against you, and the biggest improvement I can hear in my head - would be for you to add some guitar harmonies layers on the chorus to fatten things up. I do realize this might present a technical challenge for you, but should definitely be doable with the iphone.

All in all - I think this is a very strong collab start for you. I hope we'll see you in more! biggrin.gif

PS for this kind of quick recording you should use this built in app instead:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Jan 20 2015, 12:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 19 2015, 10:27 PM) *
Hey Beat, this take is yet a good illustration of how tasty your playing and sound is.

However having said this - I am going to disagree with Gab. I think you play veery safe here, to the point that this one feels slightly boring.

Many students here would love to have your level of musicality/tastiness - you have come a long way. But I think the best thing you can do now, is to start working in another direction.

Take some risks, be bold! I would like to see a take from you where we'll reject half of what you're doing as weird/off. Because I think the other half could then be really interesting.

Your music conveys that you are a stable and confident guy - and these are really good attributes. But for rock n roll that touches, we need more than that. Try to think of something that upsets, angers or excites you - or maybe even something that has been traumatic to you. What musical impulses do these feelings give you?

Check out Angus playing, how stable does he look? He is on fire and as stable as a bomb that's about to detonate, I'd say!! ph34r.gif

Let me know if this makes sense!

Very cool to have you in Vinman! biggrin.gif

I like the construction of this solo - you start out aggressively with the double stop to get some attention and then take the listener away for some cool and unpredictable rhythms - that's my style!! laugh.gif

As you said you could do some polishing (at the end from 00:24).

I really like the chorus part as well, as you go higher up on the neck for bending - it somehow gave me Brian Johnson vibes so you must have done something right there.

The recording quaulity is of course working against you, and the biggest improvement I can hear in my head - would be for you to add some guitar harmonies layers on the chorus to fatten things up. I do realize this might present a technical challenge for you, but should definitely be doable with the iphone.

All in all - I think this is a very strong collab start for you. I hope we'll see you in more! biggrin.gif

PS for this kind of quick recording you should use this built in app instead:
Attached Image

Could you maybe give me an example of what you mean about harmony layers

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 20 2015, 10:07 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 20 2015, 12:07 AM) *
Could you maybe give me an example of what you mean about harmony layers

Sorry I meant to write "harmony / layers".

Usually - just recording 1-4 extra takes (playing the exact same thing) and then mixing them low to "fool" the listener so he/she can't really hear those extra layers - is a nice way to create a huge chorus effect.

This technique is used all the time on hits you hear on the radio.

You can also just record 1-2 extra takes instead, and play a harmony - usually going up or down a third in the scale you're playing.

This might sound complicated - but my initial idea was just for you to add some power the chorus melody with an extra guitar layer.

Does it make sense? Please let me know if I managed to explain this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 20 2015, 11:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 19 2015, 06:46 PM) *

Nice composition Vinman! I also feel connected and enjoying during the whole solo. I like the structure and each lick connects and interact with the following. But not it's time to polish the licks, mostly the second half where the bends are not consistent and your playing is lacking some feeling that can be achieved with more vibrato, slides and dynamics.

About your tone, is this the sound of your video camera mic? If that's what you are using, I think that it's ruining a bit your tone. You should try to use a daw in your computer to then export a mixed track. Let me know if you need help with it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 20 2015, 04:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's a first draft and idea, still some rough spots in there of course:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  A_GMC.mp3 ( 937.17K ) Number of downloads: 213

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 20 2015, 10:07 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 20 2015, 04:18 PM) *

Hehe awesome to have you in Ben! biggrin.gif

To me the structure of this solo is very inspiring and fresh/original. And your tone is killer!

There is nothing "Young" over it though tongue.gif but that was never a requirement either.

Even though I am a big fan of mixing styles, I feel there is a clash happening rhythm wise. To me, you would lift the take to a new level if you could somehow more tightly follow the groove - but still retain your fresh and modern ideas.

You are floating over/around the beat - and this is beautiful. But since you do it all the time - I somehow got the impression the backing and your take were sort of living in parallel universes. I think if you could start by playing close to the groove - then it will be much more effective when you choose to deviate from it.

In order to follow the groove you would play a bit more staccato and try to play exactly when the high hat (or any other drum hit) occurs. Let me know if you need more detailed explanations.

On a different topic - your sustained notes feel untreated (example 00:04). If I were to choose, you would start with a subtle vibrato that gets wider and more intense. If your vibrato is not yet up to the task, use the whammy bar instead.

Let me know what you think about this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Jan 21 2015, 03:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 20 2015, 09:07 AM) *
Sorry I meant to write "harmony / layers".

Usually - just recording 1-4 extra takes (playing the exact same thing) and then mixing them low to "fool" the listener so he/she can't really hear those extra layers - is a nice way to create a huge chorus effect.

This technique is used all the time on hits you hear on the radio.

You can also just record 1-2 extra takes instead, and play a harmony - usually going up or down a third in the scale you're playing.

This might sound complicated - but my initial idea was just for you to add some power the chorus melody with an extra guitar layer.

Does it make sense? Please let me know if I managed to explain this!

not complicated at all actually that makes a lot of sense. Thank you

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 20 2015, 10:49 AM) *
Nice composition Vinman! I also feel connected and enjoying during the whole solo. I like the structure and each lick connects and interact with the following. But not it's time to polish the licks, mostly the second half where the bends are not consistent and your playing is lacking some feeling that can be achieved with more vibrato, slides and dynamics.

About your tone, is this the sound of your video camera mic? If that's what you are using, I think that it's ruining a bit your tone. You should try to use a daw in your computer to then export a mixed track. Let me know if you need help with it.

ya i might need help with that not sure what you mean

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2015, 12:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 20 2015, 12:18 PM) *

Good playing on this one Cael! I also think that your take is very unique and unexpected for this backing. I like the "mysterious" feel that your phrases have, mostly in the first half.

This is just a opinion based on my taste, but I don't feel that the sweeps used when the E chord is played connect well with the previous and following phrases. This can be something related to the technique, which becomes aggressive, but maybe also because of the rhythm used that contrasts too much with the other melodies.

Just before that, I would work a bit more the following two phrases. They are close, but I know that you can make them even more interesting.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 22 2015, 04:00 PM
GMC Founder
So who's next?!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Jan 22 2015, 06:10 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 19 2015, 04:32 PM) *
Hi Beat! Thanks for your take. I like your phrasing on this one. There are cool melodies and bends that create a very good impact in the first half of the solo. I think that you have chosen very tasty notes over the different chords and that makes your solo good sounding. Your phrasing is very well structured and except on some little sections where your melodic lines seems to loss a bit direction, the overall solo has a very good evolution.

I think that this is a very strong take and that it just could be improved detecting some of the weaker parts where your phrasing seem to be following the scale instead of a melody, and go for more musical ideas or maybe something that contrasts with other sections. Maybe using some double string bends, harmonics, dynamic variations, and other elements that can add a new dimension to this cool solo.

Also be careful with the pitch of some bends (00:08, 00:20).

After many hours ...
I have a new version.
I think this is a little more rock'n'roll..
After your comments i work harder at the timing and precision...

Attached File(s)
Attached File  AC_MC_2.mp3 ( 796.35K ) Number of downloads: 196

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 22 2015, 09:40 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Jan 22 2015, 06:10 PM) *
After many hours ...
I have a new version.
I think this is a little more rock'n'roll..
After your comments i work harder at the timing and precision...

Many hours of fun, by the sound of it! laugh.gif

To me the new version definitely has more attitude. And I personally like how you play more staccato, it sounds more like Angus (again - that is certainly is not a requirement, but over this kind of backing it's hard not to compare).

Ending is a very cool example of how to build climax, well done!

If you want to tweak more, there are some details audible:

00:19 - bend feels a little late, or was this on purpose?
00:28 missed note

As a general comment, all bends could us of a bit more accuracy, so if bending is not already in your daily practice routine I would suggest you add it.

I should probably clarify that your take feel very polished already, so no real need to tweak it further unless you have got more hours to kill! wink.gif Well done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 23 2015, 04:36 PM
GMC:er
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/agmc-test-run

Rip it to shreds guys. Everything from me strumming the e-power chord on was just winged, not sure how I feel about going on the 2nd half.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 23 2015, 11:29 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jan 23 2015, 04:36 PM) *
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/agmc-test-run

Rip it to shreds guys. Everything from me strumming the e-power chord on was just winged, not sure how I feel about going on the 2nd half.

Very nice Spase. Lots of energy coming from this take and really cool tone. I think I know part of the reason, where you using the profiler? What profile? =)

Solo construction wise - you are well on your way and with some tweaks this will sound awesome.

You do a very good job until 00:25. The only minor exception would be the short phrase at 00:12-00:14 . I think the idea is good but it sounds a little tame after your cool intro. See if you can add some more expression to it (slide, bend vibrato) - alternatively think of another lick.

At 00:25 it feels like you ran out of ideas, since you end in the middle of what would be the chorus/climax. To me this feels like the wrong place to have a pause. You should give your everything here and intensify the super cool, high-pitched chorus melody you cam up with for the chorus. I think that all you need to do is give it some more time and you will figure this part out.

Playing wise the most important fix you can do relates to timing. You are almost consistently slightly ahead of the beat, rushing things (the slow section starting at 00:18 feels better though). I assume your take is correctly aligned with the backing track?

Good news is - since you are consistently ahead of the beat - you probably have pretty good timing. But for some reason you stressed things. I tend to do this when I record something without being prepared enough, simply because I get nervous.

Since this is quite an issue for me, I try to do some mental exercises where I tell myself:

* try to play behind the beat, chances are you will land in between (spot on in other words). If you do end up playing behind the beat, it usually sounds much better than playing ahead of it (and many times actually better than playing on the beat).

* Try to relax and not care about the outcome of your recording, just play for fun. This sure is harder than it sounds. But after all - you can just delete your take if you didn't like it.

* Finally the safest method, is probably to practice the whole thing until you know it in and out. You will then relax because you're comfortable with your ability.

Let me know if this makes sense? I am really excited to hear the final version!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 24 2015, 12:31 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 23 2015, 05:29 PM) *
Very nice Spase. Lots of energy coming from this take and really cool tone. I think I know part of the reason, where you using the profiler? What profile? =)

Oh you know it. I love that little lunch box to death! The profile I started with was the "Boogie MARKIIC+ JP2 by Djemass" Added some reverb and changed the definition a bit to make it less shrill pick attack.

Solo construction wise - you are well on your way and with some tweaks this will sound awesome.

You do a very good job until 00:25. The only minor exception would be the short phrase at 00:12-00:14 . I think the idea is good but it sounds a little tame after your cool intro. See if you can add some more expression to it (slide, bend vibrato) - alternatively think of another lick.

At 00:25 it feels like you ran out of ideas, since you end in the middle of what would be the chorus/climax. To me this feels like the wrong place to have a pause. You should give your everything here and intensify the super cool, high-pitched chorus melody you cam up with for the chorus. I think that all you need to do is give it some more time and you will figure this part out.

Playing wise the most important fix you can do relates to timing. You are almost consistently slightly ahead of the beat, rushing things (the slow section starting at 00:18 feels better though). I assume your take is correctly aligned with the backing track?

00:12-00:14 - I'm thinking using a variation of the lick from around the 00:30 mark and tossing it in there. Try and lead into the build up of that 00:18 section.

It's a single raw take, no eq or anything on my lead except the input of my kemper. I was jamming about 2 hours left did some running came back did a few runs and decided to give it a shot to get some ideas. As that 00:25 spot really has me scratching my chin. I go from the great intro and I'm trying to figure out how to give it more dynamics as I went all out there. I could attempt doing 2 solo tracks. Get the first section leading to it, then from there in maybe give a slight slide in some where to give it the feel of possible 2 guitarist.

Good news is - since you are consistently ahead of the beat - you probably have pretty good timing. But for some reason you stressed things. I tend to do this when I record something without being prepared enough, simply because I get nervous.

Since this is quite an issue for me, I try to do some mental exercises where I tell myself:

* try to play behind the beat, chances are you will land in between (spot on in other words). If you do end up playing behind the beat, it usually sounds much better than playing ahead of it (and many times actually better than playing on the beat).

* Try to relax and not care about the outcome of your recording, just play for fun. This sure is harder than it sounds. But after all - you can just delete your take if you didn't like it.

* Finally the safest method, is probably to practice the whole thing until you know it in and out. You will then relax because you're comfortable with your ability.

Let me know if this makes sense? I am really excited to hear the final version!

I've gotten way better over the years with being on beat and listening to drums or tossing a louder metronome over the track and cutting down the backing to hear what I need in the mix. But I have a tendency which you are 100% spot on with. I click that little record button and drop down into I feel I need to think about everything I'm doing. From the finger movement to how hard I push a string.

I still have some time so we shall jam on this a bit everyday and see where it gets me!

Much thanks for all the input Kris! cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Procyon
Jan 24 2015, 05:00 PM
So this is what I am working on... it's not perfect (probably it will never be wink.gif ) - but I think you get the idea. I definitely need to practice that stupid run around 00:17

Attached File(s)
Attached File  AC_DC_CollabProcyon1.mp3 ( 1.28MB ) Number of downloads: 191

+Quote Post
Huargo
Jan 24 2015, 07:08 PM
Tone Seeker
Hi smile.gif
Two versions:
  One the same as above but with the arrangements discussed...
  The other with a final more acdc...

which do you prefer to continue working?

Hi Procyon nice take !!! smile.gif

Attached File  Acdccollab_wip03A.mp3 ( 1.57MB ) Number of downloads: 142

Attached File  Acdccollab_wip03B_rock.mp3 ( 1.57MB ) Number of downloads: 148

This post has been edited by Huargo: Jan 24 2015, 07:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 24 2015, 11:20 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Procyon @ Jan 24 2015, 05:00 PM) *
So this is what I am working on... it's not perfect (probably it will never be wink.gif ) - but I think you get the idea. I definitely need to practice that stupid run around 00:17

Wow hard to give anything but praise here. Energy and tone is awesome. And this kind of picking tone is what you get when you dig deep into the strings (opposite of the kind of motion used for speed picking) - and it's soo tasty (Clapton and Eric Johnson are two examples of this kind of picking).

Your tone is gorgeous and has an elastic feel, what gear did you use?

There are some technical stuff you could improve, but I wouldn't really go in and mess with such a cool take if I were you.

There are some places where hand sync could be improved (when you play faster). It can be heard because when you nail the sync you have awesome picking tone (as mentioned above), one example at 00:05 (it's very subtle)

At 00:16 and possibly 00:31 we can hear missed notes.

Your vibrato is on the 'narrow' side, but it sounds perfect for this style. For a more ballad kind of solo I would go for something wider, but that is definitely off topic!

As you can hear, I cant really say anything else to say but bravo! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Huargo @ Jan 24 2015, 07:08 PM) *
Hi smile.gif
Two versions:
  One the same as above but with the arrangements discussed...
  The other with a final more acdc...

which do you prefer to continue working?

Hi Procyon nice take !!! smile.gif

Attached File  Acdccollab_wip03A.mp3 ( 1.57MB ) Number of downloads: 142

Attached File  Acdccollab_wip03B_rock.mp3 ( 1.57MB ) Number of downloads: 148

Hey Huargo - in this case I think it's obvious you have a different vision that us (Gab and me). Because I find your previous take better than these two - and this usually happens when we're working in a direction we do not really believe in.

You do touch upon some cliché licks in the chorus of the second take, but again I can hear it is not really what you want to play there.

So what do? Well - be yourself! After all, this is music and all we can do as instructors is to pep you to be yourself. We really shouldn't try to change your direction. I think you are hearing somethign very specific over this backing which we don't.

You are being very adventurous in your style and it's clear you have a beast within you, and when you have learned to tame it you will scare us all! biggrin.gif I think you are going a straight path towards originality, so please just keep going!

I will let you decide if you want to tweak this any further or keep your original take.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:24 AM