Pick Stuck When Strumming
Uurgh
Jan 1 2009, 01:55 AM
GMC:er
Happy new year, everyone!

This might be a noobie question, but I really need help with this:

When playing the fourth video of https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-for-beginners/ I get stuck with the pick when strumming those palm muted power chords when going up. I noticed when I play "normal" chords I angle the pick so it's like "brushing" the string, but I also noticed it seems Pavel doesn't do this and if I angle it I get too big of a motion and I lose the speed.
What should I do to not get stuck? I tried varying the pressure, the way I angle the pick, etc, but nothing seems to cut it.

Thanks a lot.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 1 2009, 05:55 AM
Instructor
Try holding the more firmly, and also aim to the 6th or fourth string deppending the direction. Play that extreme string alone, get a nic tone and memorize the feeling, then add one adacent string and then another. Also check that your arm placement allows to have all the strings your playing at range within a wrist movement.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 1 2009, 06:06 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Hi Uurgh,

Gerardo has given you some good advice here. You need to be able to "upstroke" one string before you can cleanly hit three.

Personally for me, it was all about getting to know my guitar and my pick. I was using a larger pick and having a hard time with it. I went to a smaller pick that I could get a more aggressive attack with and it made all the difference in the world. Again, that worked for me and may not for you.

Keep playing around with different angles and try a few different size picks and see if that helps. Keep us posted on the progress. smile.gif

Try the Jazz III's by Dunlop... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 2 2009, 05:00 AM
Instructor
Here I leave you an exercise that I give to my students for that kind of problems.
I wrote the ex. and afterwards I wrote the Pavel rhythm but in a progressive way to practice so you get the mechanics of the movement.
Let me know if that helped you.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Pick_ex.gp5 ( 2.13K ) Number of downloads: 301

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2009, 05:08 PM
Instructor
Perhaps you're just holding the pick to tightly mate? Sometimes when you go up the speed your fingers around the pick tend to stiffen up a bit, and then the pick can stuck between the strings. No need to vary the pressure a lot, just keep it relaxed, put just that much pressure on the pick as it is required to get the sound right. Practice this on very slow tempos and gradually go up the speed.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:49 AM