A Solution To An Old Fretboard Problem
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 02:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
I used to not play my RG752mfs a whole lot, because the abalone fretboard markers on the birdseye maple fretboard would become almost invisible.

You can see here how it was difficult to see them sometimes:

Attached Image

I finally got my "act" together and bought some fretboard stickers (I know from the past that they can work well enough).

You can buy many different kinds, but I needed to cover the abalone dots, so I just bought some round ones like these: https://www.thomann.de/dk/jockomo_1_4_dot_f..._markers_bp.htm

It gives the guitar a slightly different look smile.gif

Attached Image

I don't use the dots THAT much, but it was difficult on the 7 string to use the side dots and sometimes if for a second I'm lost, I could not look and see "ah, there's the 16th fret". Now I can smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 14 2022, 04:04 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Nice, I think it actually looks better. Highlights matching the pups/bridge. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Apr 14 2022, 04:05 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 07:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 14 2022, 05:04 PM) *
Nice, I think it actually looks better. Highlights matching the pups/bridge. wink.gif

I agree smile.gif I like it! And it's better for performance too laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 10:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
For a more direct comparison, here's an old picture from a similar angle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 14 2022, 11:20 PM
GMC:er
Glad you got em smile.gif Old ones were hard to see. It's a great axe!!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 14 2022, 02:15 PM) *
I agree smile.gif I like it! And it's better for performance too laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 15 2022, 12:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 15 2022, 12:20 AM) *
Glad you got em smile.gif Old ones were hard to see. It's a great axe!!

That was one thing that was holding me back from playing it. Glad to have it fixed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 16 2022, 04:57 AM
GMC:er
She is ready for Battle! Hope you use her in anger at your next gig :

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 14 2022, 07:06 PM) *
That was one thing that was holding me back from playing it. Glad to have it fixed!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 18 2022, 02:40 PM
Learning Roadie
I've often wondered when I've seen guitars without fret markers on the fretboard if the side dots would be enough for me to navigate

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 18 2022, 04:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 18 2022, 03:40 PM) *
I've often wondered when I've seen guitars without fret markers on the fretboard if the side dots would be enough for me to navigate

I don't think it's all too bad in general. I can pretty easily recognize 7-9 "objects" of anything, so anything around that area is fine even without focus on the side dots or fret markers. Most rhythm is fine. The problem is mostly a thing due to the 7 strings, so the fretboard is wider, and then when you get to the 12th fret and above it's tricky to navigate back if you get lost. I usually don't rely too much on the side dots or fret markers, but if you start on the wrong note for some reason and try to find your way back, but there's little visual clue, it's tricky! Like ending up playing an F minor arpeggio when there's an E minor chord playing...

...so, if I get lost for a second it's nice to just more easily find my way back by being able to see the fret markers.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 06:43 PM