Secrets Of Building Killer Sounds In Software!, Quick and Dirty Tips and Tricks to get you to your tone!
Todd Simpson
Jul 12 2014, 05:30 AM
GMC:er
SECRETS OF BUILDING KILLER TONE IN SOFTWARE!
(Overloud TH2)
PART 1 of 4
(Direct Link)
http://bitly.com/secretsoftonebuilding

LINK TO THE WIKI ARTICLE WITH THIS INFORMATION IN ONE READABLE POST:

You ever wonder why it sounds amazing when some folks make patches in guitar plugins? And sometimes it sounds less than amazing when other folks do it? There are some tips that will help get you towards TONE NIRVANA without taking endless hours away from your practice time!!!

I"m going to break down on patch and you can use these techniques in ANY PROGRAM that contains basic effects. If the program you are using does not contain effects, time to grab one that does smile.gif The usual suspects are guitar rig free amplitude free, sgear demo, TH2 demo, (I'm not going to mention lepou as it's without effects) so let's dig in!

Step 1. BEFORE YOU HIT YOUR AMP/HEAD!!!

Attached Image

*Take a look at the screen grab above. Here is what's happening in it.

THE SIGNAL CHAIN

PARAMETRIC EQ (Variable Equalizer, Knobs instead of Sliders)
*The reason to put this FIRST in your chain is to shape the tone BEFORE it hits any other processing. Look at the numbers in red in the unit. I"m boosting a bit at 742hz which gives things punch and cutting/removing a bit at 155hz which is where all the HORRIBLE MUD lives.

VARIMU COMPRESSOR (A very pricey compressor that you can read more about at this link http://www.manley.com/mslc.php)
*Look at the numbers in red. Very low "compression ratio" with a bit of "sustain". Essentially I'm using the compressor as a sort of booster so that I don't have to burn out my picking hand and it helps drive the gain.

GATE EXPANDER
( Just a fancy Noise Gate really.)
*Both of them are there just to clean up the signal.

TUBE NINE ( A Tube Screamer Overdrive clone.)
*Just like a Tube Screamer, it's there to act as a preamp and give more signal to the Amp/Head so that the drive section has more to work with and as a result, sounds MEANER!

CHR-2 (Clone of a BOSS Stereo Chorus unit.)
*Just a pinch of stereo chorus helps the tone sound big and wide and thick.

And that's it!!! Next time, THE AMP STAGE!!!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 5 2014, 12:04 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:53 PM