Search For My Own Sound., Gear Help! (everyone's opinion welcome)
bsamn
Jan 18 2008, 01:26 AM
GMC:er
Hey everyone,

I'm writing this regarding, my quest/search for my own sound, i know what i want, but dont know how to get there.

Before i get into detail, ill let you know a bit about whats going on.

I personally do not know much about gear, i do know about companies (like boss, maxon etc). But sad part is the place where i live, there arent any places that sell a variety of pedals, the only choice i have is Boss. and id rather try them out.

I discovered this site, about a year ago, and when i started improving i though of treating myself to a nice effects pedal. Im not really much for multi effects because its alot of money for me to spend in one, not only that i would save up and get it if i wanted it, but i prefer single effects pedal because of the simplicity, and i believe its a quicker (at least for me) to get where i want.

Anyway i have stratocaster and a les paul, and was jamming on my Marshall MG30. I wanted a very creamy distortion then something heavy and cutting but creamy and meaty aswell ( i hope u get what i mean smile.gif ) so after a couple of pedals i decided on buying the Landmine Distortion pedal, after checking out the guitar world review of it. And oh man what a pedal, it surely gave me what i was searching for.

But as i improved and started to notice subtle changes of sound etc, over the past year i realised the amplifier sucks (its kool to start with not something to end with). So after looking through a couple of amps i bought the first tube amp i could get my hands on (Laney Lionheart) as it was the only one available. And oh man what an amplifier, the notes were just oozing with love cool.gif .

This made me realise, that atm now, i dont want something so metallic - distortion wise. I also found how people use overdrive pedals to boost an amp that is already distorted to get a much more natural+heavy rich sound (like zakk wylde the only one i can think of who does that atm). And i want to do that as well, i love that natural sound, it sounds more natural than just a a clean amp run though a distortion pedal ( to me at least).

My question here is, what would you guys recommend, overdrive pedal wise. I ended up buying the Boss SD-1, but could not get soemthing more powerfull out of it for some reason (might just be the setting on the amplifier not setting it right). I was looking in for tubescreamer, i saw reveiw of it, it sounds like it has a bit gain then SD-1, or the Maxon od808, or get a mod/boutique pedal.

How many of you run ur setup this way, how to get a very rich sound?

I hope Muris replies here, i just love that gary moore kind of sound that he has. But then again i think he gear would be very intricate.

But every pls do reply, how do you guys run ur setup, recommend me pedal?

Thanks in advance for your help, and Rock on i guess \m/.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 18 2008, 01:45 AM
Learning Roadie
If you want that gary moore kind of sound a tube screamer might be the way to go. I love that sound too biggrin.gif By the way, you have a top notch amp. So congrats on that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 18 2008, 02:06 AM
Instructor
+1 for TS. It has more drive than the SD1, and better as a booster. It depends on your amp really in the end, the pedal plays a smaller part.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 18 2008, 03:40 AM
Best booster in the world is BB preamp by xotic effects..

Bit pricey though

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Jan 18 2008, 03:40 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 18 2008, 04:34 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Jan 17 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Best booster in the world is BB preamp by xotic effects..

Bit pricey though

Hmm, was also quite impressed by the RC booster, sounds like a great clean boost. I'd like to have both of those if I had the money tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jan 18 2008, 05:08 AM
I'd like to second BB Preamp. I too have been searching for a creamy sound that Andy Timmons possesses. Check out this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SiW22O914Cg

This post has been edited by VinceG: Jan 18 2008, 05:08 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:49 PM