Musical Terms In Different Languages?
Arpeggio
Dec 24 2019, 01:47 PM
GMC:er
I was wondering about certain musical terms in other languages? do they stay the same? I know certain words in Italian are used universally in music such as "tempo" or "forte". What about chord names like...

E major

C suspended 4th aka Csus4

G minor 7 flat 5 aka Gm7b5

F diminished or F augmented

etc.

Say in Spanish, Portuguese, German, Italian, French or whatever etc. I suspect they remain the same but need to ask as I don't know. I know there's a lot of teachers and students here from different parts of the world (who might also have some non-English material with this stuff in) so thought this would be the best place to ask. I can only think of chord names at the moment but if there's anything I haven't though of I'd be interested to know.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
HungryForHeaven
Jan 1 2020, 12:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 31 2019, 05:51 PM) *
B natural is H in a lot of eastern Europe and Scandinavian countries. B for them is our Bb. It's a really old way of notating and there is more than one theory as to why (and too long to go into here).
*In the 19th cent. musicians would spell Bach with the musical notation B A C H that translated musically into Bb A C B natural.

That's true, also in Scandinavian coutries (such as my country Sweden), the note B is called H (and Bb is called B ). It is changing to the Anglo-Saxian notation, at least in some communities, but the H notation will live on (don't you dare re-naming Bach's H-moll Messe).

I'm gonna do a free translation of Cael's Danish terms into English (some of them have more than one corresponding term, but I guess most of them should be apparent).

Major
Minor
Circle of Fifths
Third
Fifth
Root
Tritone (\m/)

Oh, and Happy 2020, everyone.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by HungryForHeaven: Jan 1 2020, 12:50 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:04 PM