Negative Harmony?
Adam
Feb 8 2019, 01:50 AM
Learning Roadie
Today I came across term "negative harmony" but the article didn't explain anything. It's only point was more or less "It's something abstract and unnecessary. You're not a genius, so just avoid it." It didn't even explain what to avoid. It sounds like something too advanced for someone at my stage of learning but I'm still curious.

Could anyone explain what negative harmony is, at least in the most basic way to help me get the general idea behind it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
klasaine
Feb 9 2019, 02:40 AM
GMC:er
Before it was called negative harmony it was called inverse or inversion harmony (or melody). *Early 20th cent. 1919, Vienna.

Behold, a 12-tone row ...

Attached Image

The top line is the 'row' (prime), the middle line is the same row in retrograde (reverse) and the bottom row is the inversion (or negative) of the top 'row'. You can also have a retrograde inversion ... and then of course transpose the rows utilizing all of this. Etc., etc., etc.

Here's one of the classic pieces using 12-tone technique ...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 9 2019, 02:43 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 14 2019, 04:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 9 2019, 02:40 AM) *
Before it was called negative harmony it was called inverse or inversion harmony (or melody). *Early 20th cent. 1919, Vienna.

Behold, a 12-tone row ...

Attached Image

The top line is the 'row' (prime), the middle line is the same row in retrograde (reverse) and the bottom row is the inversion (or negative) of the top 'row'. You can also have a retrograde inversion ... and then of course transpose the rows utilizing all of this. Etc., etc., etc.

Here's one of the classic pieces using 12-tone technique ...

Thanks for all the materials! I think I understand more now! It took a few days but it's easier than memorizing all at once smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:41 AM