4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Gmc Songwriting Collaboration (!), Let's write a song together!
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 14 2014, 08:15 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 14 2014, 09:11 PM) *
Just listening to Gabs idea gave me an idea which might work straight after Gabs riff or maybe with Gabs riff either side of it -

[attachment=39299:riff.mp3]
or not cool.gif it sounded kinda cool in my head!

YEAH!!!!! That's a keeper, amazing!! It has Sabbath all over it, and I love it. Give me some time and I will figure out how to best make use of it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 14 2014, 09:11 PM
GMC Founder
Bleez can you send me just the guitar audio file(s) so I can start experimenting?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2014, 09:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 14 2014, 04:11 PM) *
Just listening to Gabs idea gave me an idea which might work straight after Gabs riff or maybe with Gabs riff either side of it -

[attachment=39299:riff.mp3]
or not cool.gif it sounded kinda cool in my head!

Wou!! I love it Bleez! This song is turning really heavy. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 15 2014, 04:49 PM
GMC Founder
Just a quick mix update - I have added a riff of my own as well Bleez' idea, plus some FX to the intro guitar.

Attached File  intro_krisriff_bleezriff.mp3 ( 1.75MB ) Number of downloads: 158

It's all very drafty and I have just added the riffs one after the other to get a feel for how they sound. The idea is to digest this and think of how we can structure these parts for maximum impact (with vocals). Also, I have a possible chorus section in my head - so I guess what we have currently could be seen as intro-verse-bridge, however this needs to be digested as well!

Some other things on my to do list:

* start working on orchestration for Bleez' riff (00:44), the current arrangement does not do it justice at all
* re-write the clean intro guitar so that it has a more interesting bass line and play it better. Then add some orchestration (and possibly prolongue the intro, especially if you guys give me idea suggestions)
* start programming drums (haven't touched it so far, only went for templates)
* possibly try the mix with some bass guitar

However my main task is to try and visualise some vocals as those will have a heavy impact on the structure of the song.

Any feedback / input is welcome!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 15 2014, 06:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
okay.... so Im grinning like a Cheshire cat after hearing my riff in there!! Hey Kris, great call changing the single notes I played into the chords.... sounds fantastic smile.gif
Im so looking forward to this developing cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Oct 15 2014, 06:11 PM
GMC:er
Hi Guys

I Have added a tiny part to the the intro. I have to communicate my Ideas via Guitar pro since I don't have the tools to record at the moment. I'm sure you guys can add my part if you like it. Beez/gab Sorry I didn't have time to tab your part but you can add it if you like.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Songwriting_Collaboration.gpx ( 27.25K ) Number of downloads: 90

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 15 2014, 07:42 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Amir Razmara @ Oct 15 2014, 07:11 PM) *
Hi Guys

I Have added a tiny part to the the intro. I have to communicate my Ideas via Guitar pro since I don't have the tools to record at the moment. I'm sure you guys can add my part if you like it. Beez/gab Sorry I didn't have time to tab your part but you can add it if you like.

I can't open this one from where I am now, could you try exporting as GP5? ( I only have access to tuxguitar software)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Oct 15 2014, 08:04 PM
Alright no problem smile.gif

This post has been edited by Amir Razmara: Oct 15 2014, 08:05 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Songwriting_Collaboration.gp5 ( 6.28K ) Number of downloads: 72
Attached File  Songwriting_Collaboration.gp5 ( 6.28K ) Number of downloads: 68

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 15 2014, 09:06 PM
GMC Founder
Excellent Amir! This could make up for an epic intro - and it would be something new for me so I am definitely going to try it. I can hear timpanis and orchestras and whatnot in my head - this is very exciting!

Also thanks a million for transcribing - this should make it much easier for others who want to share their ideas via guitar pro. (hint hint hint)

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 15 2014, 07:04 PM) *
okay.... so Im grinning like a Cheshire cat after hearing my riff in there!! Hey Kris, great call changing the single notes I played into the chords.... sounds fantastic smile.gif

hehe! I will experiment a little more with that part, I also tried the same kind of palm mute rhythm as in my riff. When introducing new elements its usually good to stick to a theme if there is one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 16 2014, 08:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
I came up with and recorded a *really* un-practiced intro idea - starts in Dminor and transitions to Eminor
Let me know what you think good or bad. the low string is slightly out of tune :/

https://soundcloud.com/sirjamsalot/gmc-song-collaboration-10-14-2014-intro-idea

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 16 2014, 05:18 PM
GMC Founder
I tried to follow Amir’s idea, and I think I ended up with a song-in-a-song?! It’s definitely not Amirs fault though, and perhaps the chords in this intro could even be used to build a chorus. I am not really sure what to make of this though, so please let me know your thoughts:

Attached File  amirintro_kriff_briff.mp3 ( 2.67MB ) Number of downloads: 131

I am a fan of very short intros that don’t really have any value except for making a strong contrast to the opening riff. So that might have been why I instinctively started to build a song when elaborating on the intro..and we got a song-in-a-song =)

Other than this I have added an octave harmony on Bleez’ riff with my strat, and it seemed to give a nice and bright addition to my LTD/JB guitar which I used for the riffing.

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 16 2014, 09:22 AM) *
I came up with and recorded a *really* un-practiced intro idea - starts in Dminor and transitions to Eminor
Let me know what you think good or bad. the low string is slightly out of tune :/

https://soundcloud.com/sirjamsalot/gmc-song-collaboration-10-14-2014-intro-idea

Well this idea could definitely be used to build a cool intro/song. I am not sure it fits this songs' intro though - since the rhythm of my clean intro matches the first distorted riff. You should have posted this idea couple of days earlier! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Oct 16 2014, 05:23 PM
Reason for edit: oops wrong file

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 16 2014, 05:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
This is an old idea of mine. Don't know if it can be used anywhere, but thought I'd share it anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/tapedeck-2-oct-15-22-51-58

It switches constantly between 6/8 and 7/8. That's one way to count it anyway.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Oct 16 2014, 06:20 PM
[quote name='Kristofer Dahl' date='Oct 16 2014, 04:18 PM' post='698621']
I tried to follow Amir’s idea, and I think I ended up with a song-in-a-song?! It’s definitely not Amirs fault though, and perhaps the chords in this intro could even be used to build a chorus. I am not really sure what to make of this though, so please let me know your thoughts:

Wow... I like this a lot smile.gif you have given it the right touch with the cool arrangement/layers....the intro is climactic and builds nicely to your riff. I think more can be done right after your riff...I don't know what exactly I'd have to live with this for a few hours smile.gif great job Kris

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 16 2014, 06:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 16 2014, 09:18 AM) *
Well this idea could definitely be used to build a cool intro/song. I am not sure it fits this songs' intro though - since the rhythm of my clean intro matches the first distorted riff. You should have posted this idea couple of days earlier! wink.gif

I'll use it then! Yah, late to the party means I'm stuck with the crumbs at the bottom of the chip bowl =smile.gif
Cheers!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 16 2014, 08:55 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Oct 16 2014, 06:38 PM) *
This is an old idea of mine. Don't know if it can be used anywhere, but thought I'd share it anyway:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/tapedeck-2-oct-15-22-51-58

It switches constantly between 6/8 and 7/8. That's one way to count it anyway.

Absolutely beautiful!

Considering the current phase, we don't really need more material - instead what we have got so far needs to be structured. Right now it's just a mess of ideas and we haven't even reached the point where a section repeats. So I don't think we should add more right now. However depending on how progressive we want to get, we could throw in more sections later in the song.

Btw if anybody has structural suggestions they are more than welcome! I need to digest what we have got so far and start thinking about what kind of vocals we want to hear over this (suggestions welcome here as well!)

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 16 2014, 07:47 PM) *
I'll use it then! Yah, late to the party means I'm stuck with the crumbs at the bottom of the chip bowl =smile.gif
Cheers!

Yes, but there is still lots of Pepsi in the fridge laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Oct 17 2014, 08:56 AM
Hi Kris. Here is an update from me. There is nothing new here just a repeated section harmonized in 3rds. and a tempo change suggestion, but at the moment I don't know what kind of vibe you are going for. You may want to keep the original tempo.

This post has been edited by Amir Razmara: Oct 17 2014, 08:58 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Songwriting_collab_2.gpx ( 42.41K ) Number of downloads: 84
Attached File  Songwriting_collab_2.gpx ( 42.41K ) Number of downloads: 99

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 17 2014, 10:58 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Amir Razmara @ Oct 17 2014, 09:56 AM) *
Hi Kris. Here is an update from me. There is nothing new here just a repeated section harmonized in 3rds. and a tempo change suggestion, but at the moment I don't know what kind of vibe you are going for. You may want to keep the original tempo.

hehe I like your thinking, doubling/increasing the tempo is a neat trick to do with slow metal tunes. And actually I had something like that in mind for the chorus (which I haven't yet written). However right now I am bit confused on what will actually be the chorus, since the intro could work as one as well (with some modifications).

The vibe is not really set in stone - so please feel free to keep suggesting stuff. However I am thinking it would be wise to keep the slower tempo as this will probably make it easier for more people to contribute with lead lines etc (+ I love slow and heavy stuff).

Thanks a lot for the updated tab btw!

Right now I am trying to think of how to elaborate the first distorted riff into something that can support vocals well (in this case it will probably be a matter of simplifying the riff - or turn into a more standardised chord progression). Feel free to suggest.

To get more of a pro sound going on I will obviously need to practice and re-record the guitars and add bass but before we do that I want to make sure we're happy with the song so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 17 2014, 03:39 PM
GMC Founder
Ok I haven't added anything, but I have restructured the verse and tried writing some lyrics (nothing recorded though). I can't really sing now because I have a sore throat but I have tried talk/whispering over the track and I think it will work well with vocals.

My plan is to have lyrics follow the riff pretty much, so hopefully you can somewhat understand how I intend to phrase them. I am testing a more casual type of lyrics but I intend to do my usual low barking + high screams, maybe with some System of a down elements.

Attached File  amirintro_kriff_briff_V2.mp3 ( 2.62MB ) Number of downloads: 157

Suggestions / variations / additions are welcome! And please let me know anything sticks out as (terribly) bad English:

00:50
Just today, I heard you say
Be my man and make love to me

00:57
But the problem is this, it wasn't to me!
(But) to an old and long time friend of ours

01:04
What do you do, and what do you say
When your life is 'bout to sway away?

01:11
[possibly a short guitar lead before Bleez' riff]

01:18
Unfaithful lies [long, high screams/singing]

01:21
Jeopardise

01:25
Minimize

01:28
A trust that's built for years and years

01:31
So I say, go your way
And don't you come back here no more!

01:38
If it wasn't for me, yeah you wouldn't be free
And you've sunk too low to disagree

---

Also does anybody have ideas for the chorus section starting at 01:44? Riffs are welcome!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Oct 17 2014, 06:23 PM
Making good progress so far smile.gif I agree about the slower tempo..I think the fast tempo would undermined the meaning of the lyrics...I got too excited there thinking we were off to the races and had to shred and tear it apart biggrin.gif , But I love slow and heavy stuff as well and am really stoked to be involved in this project

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Oct 18 2014, 04:51 PM
Here is an up date. I have added a measure before bleez's part and a scratch riff for the chorus and some variations for the riff at the end.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Songwriting_collab_2.gpx ( 45.65K ) Number of downloads: 116

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:13 PM