Competing In The Loudness War, Mastering Question
Chris S.
Jul 6 2016, 05:26 PM
Learning Roadie
This question to anyone with mastering knowledge:

How do I get my tracks as loud as a reference track?

I understand one of the final steps is to use a clipper and then limiter to boost the track and then limit it so it doesn't clip - but it's still never as loud as any reference track I stack it up to.

For example: I mastered a track, and listening to it in the car I needed my volume on 20 when any other song is around 16 or 17 for the same volume.

If I just push the limiter even more I feel like I would be over limiting the track and everything just starts to fall apart - am I missing something here?

Thank you smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jul 6 2016, 05:26 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Chris S.
Jul 6 2016, 10:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks guys - I'm definitely saving for Ozone smile.gif

What do you guys think of my second mastering attempt? unsure.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/goodbye-master-test

My biggest thing is translation - especially with levels: what sounds good on the headphones and monitors may be too loud or too soft on the phone or in the car, especially the Overheads and Vocals. Sounds good on the monitors and headphones but on my phone all I hear is vocals are I can barely hear anything else rolleyes.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jul 6 2016, 10:24 PM

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 7 2016, 01:44 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 6 2016, 09:20 PM) *
What do you guys think of my second mastering attempt? unsure.gif

I agree with Mertay, the loudness sounds fine to me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:06 PM