Pinched Harmonics Help
loundzilla
Sep 14 2009, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
Ok, so I'm trying to learn pinched harmonics, but i can't really get the hang of it.

The string kind of squeals, but its a poor effort !

Here is a video of me attempting this awesome move! but failing epicly so don't laugh!

Any advise / tips would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

EDIT,

ok so i turned the drive up and its starting to squeal abit more. This is actually quite funny as its driving my neighbours mad haha!.... and my girlfriend :S

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by loundzilla: Sep 14 2009, 08:23 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Video_27.wmv ( 7.11MB ) Number of downloads: 215
Attached File  Video_28.wmv ( 10.71MB ) Number of downloads: 184

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?
Download the GMC Guitar Theory Grimoire Here!

Guitars
Ibanez RGA42 (EMG 81/85 pickups)
Takemine G series electro acoustic

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 14 2009, 08:25 PM
I still think we can get more drive out of this. That model knob set to "INSANE" really ought to be more distortion than this.

According to the manual, that amp has a noisegate built in so don't be afraid of that drive knob.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 15 2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all your help in chat yesterday jafomatic! I'm getting there, just need to develop a good technique. I seem to struggle to get a squeal from 5 and 6 string, but im not to bad on 4th.

Ill keep plugging away at it smile.gif

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 15 2009, 12:28 PM
Instructor
Once you figure them out it's piece of cake,
keep it up and be sure to have the right tone dialed. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 15 2009, 12:50 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 15 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Once you figure them out it's piece of cake,
keep it up and be sure to have the right tone dialed. smile.gif

I wasn't aware of "the right tone" last night, but jafomatic pointed out to me that I need to have more "Gain"/"Drive". After turning that up it seems alittle better. Lots of room for improvement tho.

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Sep 15 2009, 02:52 PM
Learning Roadie
i am also fairly new to the pinched harmonics.. but they are awesome and i am getting there..

I have found that you can get different sounds (or squeelies) depending on where you pick the string.. so try going from neck pickup and just squeel (keep picking and doing pinched harmonics) all your way down to the bridge pickup.. i have found at least two sounds that are cool.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 15 2009, 03:36 PM
Learning Roadie
You can and should probably strive to be able to do pinches on a completely clean setting, or unplugged, though it is a little bit easier to hear with more drive/gain. One tip that got me there was to really dig into the note when doing the pinches.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Sep 15 2009, 04:03 PM
Pinch harmonics are awesome technique, and eventually easy when mastered.

Unfortunately, practicing them is a nightmare, because there is only one way to do it.
My advise would be however, not to change the way you hold your hand, in comparison with playing normal notes. Otherwise it will be very hard, if not impossible to implement the technique in your playing and you'll have to relearn it.

So focus on the sound, try different places on the string, try different strings, and different frets, and watch your hand position. It might take a while, but you will get it. If you get bored trying, play something else and try again tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Sep 15 2009, 05:20 PM
Instructor
Pinch harmonics arent so iferent than "regular harmonics". On the right hand you will first play the note with the pick and tap the harminic with some fleshy part of the picking hand.
Now the tricky part is placement. The easiest way to see it is by fractions, if you check the natural harmoncis of the open strings are placed at 5, 7 and 12 frett, thoses are nodes that cuts the lenght of the string (the toal lenght is from the nut to the bridge).
Now you freet a note, the total lenght is the again the nut (your freeting hand and the bridge), at half that distance exactly in the middle you have the octave pinch harmonic, pinch there! The other distances where 3/4 etc.
To help your self get a treble bost on the eq (use the bridge pickup, pull the string to the outside like a small popping then playing and then you can add some drive.
Another factor is that are places that cancel the nods of harmonic so you won´t be able to get nice harmonics ther.
Have fun!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:55 PM