3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Nimrandir - Mentored By David (mtp)
David Wallimann
Sep 4 2009, 04:59 PM
Instructor

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 4 2009, 05:43 PM
GMC:er
Hello! smile.gif
So here are the answers to questions smile.gif

Name: Ivan

Years playing: 4

How many minor pentatonic positions can you play? This is a tough one smile.gif I can use effectively only 1 or 2, but in theory I know all of them (but can't apply to my playing - the further I get from the 1st position, the more wrong notes I hit smile.gif ). Scale knowledge is probably my biggest flaw.

Do you use a metronome? Yes, but most of the time I play either unplugged (without metronome) or with a backing track.

Can you improvise? A bit, but it is limited because of my fretboard knowledge.

If you could improve one thing with this program, what would it be? Despite my poor scale knowledge applied to guitar and improvisation skills, most of all I'd like to improve composition and arranging skills smile.gif

A word about my influences : I'm really into almost every style of music, but my main influences are : Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Andy James, Dream Theater, Blind Guardian, Blackmore's Night and many more (so mostly I play rock - metal smile.gif ). Also I'd include celtic and video game (especially orchestral) music in general.
As for video, it's a little complicated, as I've never recorded my playing, and I'm not sure what to record (I mostly play "meaningless" exercises or parts of songs, but I know very little compositions in their entirety). What should be the approximate length of recording and what would you like to see in it - technique, sound, or something else? I'm a bit sick at the moment, but I'll try to record something on the weekend. Meanwhile, you can check out my performances from collabs I've taken part in (they are just audio though):
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=17532
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=17387

Thanks for accepting me, I'm really glad that I'm in MTP program with you smile.gif Looking forward to strating it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 4 2009, 06:36 PM
Instructor
This is great Ivan, thanks!
No need to record a video, your samples give me a good idea of where you're at.
Since you want to further your knowledge on scales and arrangement, I think we should work towards that...

Do you have a good understanding of modes?
If I ask you to play a Major 6th from an A note, can you get there directly?

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 4 2009, 07:08 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Sep 4 2009, 08:36 PM) *
Do you have a good understanding of modes?

Yes. Theory was never a problem for me, and I got grasp of modes pretty much instantly smile.gif
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Sep 4 2009, 08:36 PM) *
If I ask you to play a Major 6th from an A note, can you get there directly?

I can play it instantly, but only in 1 place, and I'm not able to name the note. To find other places, or to get the name I need to do some counting.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 4 2009, 08:15 PM
Instructor
Great Ivan!
I think we'll start with a simple arrangement exercise.

Assignment 1 - Arranging a simple melody

The goal of this first assignment will be for you to find chords that will work over the following theme.
There are more than one possible answers here...

I recorded a simple theme using the provided scale shapes.
You will need to create some chords that fit the recording.
The chords you will find need to use the notes of the mentioned scales.

Here is the theme you need to find an arrangement for:

Attached File  Arrangement_100bpm.mp3 ( 638.68K ) Number of downloads: 208

The theme was recorded using this A Ionian (A Major) position:

Attached Image

Here is the same scale, except that I wrote it on the entire fretboard so that you can find or create some chord shapes over it:

Attached Image

Record at least 3 arrangements by playing the chords you found over the melody. You can do video or audio here...

Let me know if you have any trouble!

I'd love to get something from you within the next week so that we can move forward!
Good luck!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 4 2009, 09:11 PM
Great! smile.gif

I've got some questions before I begin:
1) Should I use the same chords for all 3 arrangements or can I vary them?
2) Should I use only my guitar for chords?
3) Can I transcribe the melody and use guitar pro as a helper, or would it be considered cheating? smile.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 4 2009, 10:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Sep 4 2009, 04:11 PM) *
Great! smile.gif

I've got some questions before I begin:
1) Should I use the same chords for all 3 arrangements or can I vary them?
2) Should I use only my guitar for chords?
3) Can I transcribe the melody and use guitar pro as a helper, or would it be considered cheating? smile.gif

You can use the same chords, but in a different order.
But if you use different chords for all of your takes that's great too!

Yeah, use your guitar only.. :-)

You can use Guitar Pro to help, but make sure your chords are played using only notes of the scale. :-)
\

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 5 2009, 12:50 AM
As a starting point I've sketched the very basic chord progression in GTP. Please tell me if I've got any mistakes smile.gif (I really doubt that Esus2 in "heavy").

Going to develop it on the weekend smile.gif

By the way, how should I call the chords in bars 9 and 11 in "light" - Dmaj7 or F#m/D?

This post has been edited by Nimrandir: Sep 5 2009, 12:57 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  arrangement_light.gp5 ( 3.08K ) Number of downloads: 94
Attached File  arrangement_heavy.gp5 ( 2.95K ) Number of downloads: 95

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 7 2009, 05:16 PM
Instructor
Yeah, you got it right!
There are a lot of different possibilities here, but all the chords you wrote are correct.
That E sus might sound a little weird to you, but the theory of it is absolutely right!

Try to write one or two more and record yourself playing guitar over it and post your work here.
Great job!

Oh, and when you record your guitar, please use a cleanish sound so that I can hear it well..

Thanks!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 9 2009, 05:39 PM
Hi David!
I've been busy in the university for the last 3 days, but now I'm pretty much free for the rest of the week smile.gif I'll try to record something today or tomorrow.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 11 2009, 05:08 PM
Instructor
Excellent!
I'm looking forward to checking out your work!
If this was too fast, I also have a slower backing.
Just let me know! :-)

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 12 2009, 05:43 PM
Instructor
How is everything going man? :-)
Feel free to ask if you need anything!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 13 2009, 04:34 PM
I was a little too optimistic about beung free and about my playing smile.gif I've actually never practiced chord changes and stuff (actually I hated chords from the first minute I picked up the guitar biggrin.gif ), so it takes some time to get comfortable with it.
One question to make sure I understood you correctly : do you want me to use essentially the same chord progression and play it in different ways, or should I vary the chords (chord letters to be more specific)?

I'll try to record something today rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 15 2009, 01:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nimrandir @ Sep 13 2009, 11:34 AM) *
I was a little too optimistic about beung free and about my playing smile.gif I've actually never practiced chord changes and stuff (actually I hated chords from the first minute I picked up the guitar biggrin.gif ), so it takes some time to get comfortable with it.
One question to make sure I understood you correctly : do you want me to use essentially the same chord progression and play it in different ways, or should I vary the chords (chord letters to be more specific)?

I'll try to record something today rolleyes.gif

Basically, I'd like you to do exactly what you did on Guitar Pro, but with the guitar. :-)

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 20 2009, 11:50 PM
Instructor
Are you stuck? tongue.gif
Maybe this assignment was a little too hard? If you need help, please let me know!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 21 2009, 03:52 AM
No, the assignment is ok, I'm just having some time problems. I will upload my takes on this assignment tomorrow (that is to say today) *fingers crossed*.

Also I know that I'm late with mixolydian collaboration, but can I still upload my take during the next day or two? smile.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 21 2009, 11:56 PM
Instructor
Great!
Unfortunately I closed the Mixo thread, just recorded all comments today..
Have you recorded you take yet?
If so, I might be able to add it...

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 22 2009, 03:28 AM
Sorry, havent recorded the collab take yet sad.gif Guess I'll have to miss it.

Finally, here are some takes smile.gif Hope I got the task right. There are some timing mistakes primarily in the places where chords change. If you want, I can upload some more takes tomorrow (today), but now it's 5:30AM here, so I can't record any more smile.gif I've tried to shuffle all the chords, but the ones that always stay the same are the initial A and "resolution" E in the middle. Also the sound is not so good, but it seems to be almost the same on every preset. If you can't hear clearly what's going on, I can try to remix the takes with different preset, as I've got dry signal saved.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  arrange1.mp3 ( 637.68K ) Number of downloads: 117
Attached File  arrange2.mp3 ( 637.68K ) Number of downloads: 128
Attached File  arrange3.mp3 ( 637.68K ) Number of downloads: 126
Attached File  arrange4.mp3 ( 637.68K ) Number of downloads: 104

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 22 2009, 06:43 PM
Instructor
Great job Ivan!
That's exactly what I was expecting.
I wanted to start with this assignment to illustrate the fact that a note by itself doesn't have much meaning.
By adding chords to each note of the melody, these notes are "attracted" to your chord and that is what makes them sound the way they do. Great job!

Here's another way to do it, I think you used your ear mostly which is very good. But here a little reminder of the theory behind that exercise:

The theme I gave you was in the key of A Major.
That means that all the notes of the theme are found in the A Major scale (or A Ionian, same thing...).
Therefore, in order to create some chords that would fit the theme, the chords need to be built on the same A Major scale.

Let's write that scale:

A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#

Let's build some 4 note chords (Root, 3rd, 5th and 7th) over each note of the scale:

A-C#-E-G# = AMaj7
B-D-F#-A = Bm7
C#-E-G#-B = C#m7
D-F#-A-C# = DMaj7
E-G#-B-D = E7
F#-A-C#-E = F#m7
G#-B-D-F# = G#m7b5

I hope this makes sense!

Here's the next little exercise.

Assignment 2 : chord theory

Write the 7 chords (4 note chords) found in the following Major scales just like I did for the above A Major

1. C Major

2. G Major

3. D Major

Let me know if you need help! Make sure you write the notes of the chords and the chord it should give...

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Sep 22 2009, 07:11 PM
Actually I've gone with theoretic approach on that one smile.gif : I've looked on what notes the melody contains in each bar and tried to form a chord which contains at least one note of the melody (the longer the better) and does not have unpleasant clashes (actually there is a Dm7 in one take which is just a collection of all notes of the bar smile.gif ). Then I've chosen the chords by ear from those sets for each bar (so that the progression makes some sense). I hope I've explained it clearly enough smile.gif

Second assignment is easy, because I know about scale harmonization smile.gif
1) C Major C D E F G A B
Cmaj7 = C E G B
Dm7 = D F A C
Em7 = E G B D
Fmaj7 = F A C E
G7 = G B D F
Am7 = A C E G
Bm7b5 = B D F A

2) G Major G A B C D E F#
Gmaj7 = G B D F#
Am7 = A C E G
Bm7 = B D F# A
Cmaj7 = C E G B
D7 = D F# A C
Em7 = E G B D
F#m7b5 = F# A C E

3) D Major D E F# G A B C#
Dmaj7 = D F# A C#
Em7 = E G B D
F#m7 = F# A C# E
Gmaj7 = G B D F#
A7 = A C# E G
Bm7 = B D F# A
C#m7b5 = C# E G B

I'm probably doing it the other way around - I use maj-min-min-maj-maj-min-dim formula and get the chords from it, and then look at what notes are in the chords.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:42 AM