Where Do I take this? Songwriting problem
Iscariott
Feb 19 2007, 12:13 PM
GMC:er
Lets say we've got a real simple I guess "thrash punk" progression going on. Power chords, E to F, E to G#, with a kind of "resolving" A to G# to E.

I don't know if I'm really giving enough to explain, but the basic problem is this, and I bring it up because its been a common road block for me, and I think a lot of other people out there too probably. We have some idea and lets say in this case its "man this sounds good as a verse riff". And even though we can vary what we have with palm muting, substitution, and rhythm changes, its still the same idea.

What I have trouble finding is how one takes a musical concept and finds its counterpart, like "how does this idea change and become a chorus".

So to the GMC'ers out there who jam/write their own stuff, how do you do it? Messing around and just playing sometimes finds where I want to go on its own, but there must be a more thought out way.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 19 2007, 04:06 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Iscariott @ Feb 19 2007, 06:13 AM) *
Lets say we've got a real simple I guess "thrash punk" progression going on. Power chords, E to F, E to G#, with a kind of "resolving" A to G# to E.

I don't know if I'm really giving enough to explain, but the basic problem is this, and I bring it up because its been a common road block for me, and I think a lot of other people out there too probably. We have some idea and lets say in this case its "man this sounds good as a verse riff". And even though we can vary what we have with palm muting, substitution, and rhythm changes, its still the same idea.

What I have trouble finding is how one takes a musical concept and finds its counterpart, like "how does this idea change and become a chorus".

So to the GMC'ers out there who jam/write their own stuff, how do you do it? Messing around and just playing sometimes finds where I want to go on its own, but there must be a more thought out way.

Yes, I come across this a lot too in my writing (different genre but similar problem). I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing songs (I've never written one I really liked on my own, though I've co-written a bunch I am proud of). I have several half-songs that need a chorus (or maybe a verse) and even some kind of break to give them enough breadth and make them interesting. I'll be watching closely for any tips smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Tank
Feb 19 2007, 08:17 PM
GMC Veteran
To take some theory, and apply it for a quick fix, in the chords progression you are quoting, it seems like you are moving around the A harmonic minor (A B C D E F G#) scale, using E as the root, so you are playing E Double Harmonic Major. (So what the hell does this mean??) I'd change the scale slightly to include a D# and use some other chords in it, to produce a new "counterpart". For instance

D# -- C B A.

With some sort of finishing motif to mirror the one on the verse. (Hey its thrash punk, the uglier the better !!)

So overall the riffs would sound something like this (powertab file you'll need to right click "Save As"):

Punk Riff

Excuse the quality, powertab can be a pain smile.gif

Should sound reasonable sonically, the chords should be enough in place to work.

/T

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:10 PM