Where To Find Cheap Patch Cables
Mudbone
May 23 2014, 05:01 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
What is a good place to find inexpensive patch cables that are of decent quality? Most retail stores sell them for $6+, which I think is way too much.

In my opinion, I don't think they have to be military grade equipment. Assuming your pedals are on a pedal board, the patch cables won't experience the abuse of an instrument cable. Plus, the cables are so short that capacitance shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts on this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mudbone: May 23 2014, 05:03 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
PosterBoy
May 23 2014, 08:22 AM
Learning Roadie
depending on how many pedals you have the length can add up quite quickly, and that many connectors can make a signal degrade quickly.

Look at Lava Cables' solderless patch cable kits http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=14

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 24 2014, 12:11 AM
GMC:er
The Lava Stuff is cool. I think a kit might be your best bet. More bang for your buck and you can custom make them to fit what you need.

I think planet waves and various other companies now have them. Lava cables is very popular though.

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 24 2014, 04:33 PM
Even if you only have 4 or 5 pedals on a a board that's A LOT of solder joints in even the shortest of cables. You want those done right. 5 or 6 bucks for a patch cable is pretty normal and actually on the cheaper side for at least decent quality wire and jacks and labor.

*If you learn to do it yourself you'll save a bunch of money.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 24 2014, 07:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You guys do make a great point about just making my own. That will probably be the route I will take.

One of the guitars I use has active pickups, so when I'm using that particular guitar cable length really isn't an issue. Also, most of my pedals are buffered, so supposedly they keep the high end intact.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 25 2014, 03:46 AM
Sounds like you've got some quality components already. I agree with the statements that there are a bunch of patch points, so you don't want to go cheap.

But all these issues can be silly to get wrapped around. EVH used pedals and cables that sucked some 'tone' out when he wasn't playing. But THAT was part of his sound.

But yes, make your own patch cables. Get a cable tester too. Nothing more frustrating that making patch cables, hooking it all up, velcroing it all down, something isn't working and all you want to do it just JAM!!!.

Take a picture of your pedalboard and post it. Then post pictures of your progression of making cables and cleaning it all up. We would all like to see that!!!!

QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 24 2014, 06:56 PM) *
You guys do make a great point about just making my own. That will probably be the route I will take.

One of the guitars I use has active pickups, so when I'm using that particular guitar cable length really isn't an issue. Also, most of my pedals are buffered, so supposedly they keep the high end intact.

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:05 PM