2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Trying To Learn How To Mess With The Eq, dont know what all this does
Darius Wave
Jul 11 2013, 07:42 PM
Instructor
Thanks for some ideas! I'll try them. I was contacting my mastering engeneer and he said he feels everything is ok with the mixes. Also he's is a kind of guy who can pull out the volume but still keep the feeling like there was no mastering smile.gif I the good meaning of course. I think currently the most harmend genres are pop and rock/metal. Most of them is hell way too compressed sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 12 2013, 10:38 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Yes a lot of pop and metal nowadays is far too crushed. It's even fashionable for pop producers to want transients clipped deliberately to get volume and this often results in sheared waveforms and consequently rather strange sounding cymbals etc. I was even asked to push the volume up and up on a jazz recording; lost the job when I declined. Generally most of us engineers tend to do less than 2dB of gain with a limiter as we do other things to bring the volume up smile.gif and quite often I don't need to do any additional gain with a limiter as I've already got the volume to an appropriate level without.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 12 2013, 01:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 12 2013, 09:38 AM) *
Yes a lot of pop and metal nowadays is far too crushed. It's even fashionable for pop producers to want transients clipped deliberately to get volume and this often results in sheared waveforms and consequently rather strange sounding cymbals etc. I was even asked to push the volume up and up on a jazz recording; lost the job when I declined. Generally most of us engineers tend to do less than 2dB of gain with a limiter as we do other things to bring the volume up smile.gif and quite often I don't need to do any additional gain with a limiter as I've already got the volume to an appropriate level without.

I remember when I was a kind (Comparing to some of You I still am smile.gif and I was pushing the sound engeneer to make "sound like this" making him listen to some mastered recording. I had no idea that all this pressure in the song was a matter of all mix compression and not just a matter of cymbals tone or EQ. A kind of like it then. But now working by myslef I realized that this is a problem , not an advantage. It's so unnatural when the cymbal sustain sound louder than the moment when a drummer hit it...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:36 PM