Another "new Guitar" Topic
Davidian
Jul 25 2013, 10:43 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello,

It has been a while since I posted on these forums, but I'm back! smile.gif
Back, with a question.

Since I recently graduated (or will almost graduate), my grandparents decided to give me a new guitar.
I've been thinking about buying an Epiphone Dot or Epiphone G400 Pro.
Budget is about 300€ (if it's a little more, no problem, I'll pay that part myself).
I mainly play rock, punk rock, a little metal and blues.

What do you guys think about these 2 guitars?
Are there any other recommendations?

Thanks a lot!

(I'm sorry if there are 1000 topics about this already, but I really don't have the time to check out the forums now sad.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 25 2013, 11:11 AM
GMC:er
Epiphone Dot is an archtop, archtop guitars are best for Jazz players. I'd say the Epiphone G-400 or the Epiphone les paul standard. If you go for Les paul, don't go for the special models, they don't get good reviews.

Do post pictures and some sound samples when you get your axe smile.gif and congratulations on the graduation! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jul 25 2013, 11:22 AM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 25 2013, 11:11 AM) *
Epiphone Dot is an archtop, archtop guitars are best for Jazz players.

I heard the Dot is really versatile, so that's why I took it into consideration smile.gif
(Plus, it looks gorgeous tongue.gif)

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 25 2013, 11:34 AM
QUOTE (Davidian @ Jul 25 2013, 10:22 AM) *
I heard the Dot is really versatile, so that's why I took it into consideration smile.gif
(Plus, it looks gorgeous tongue.gif)

It is versatile and extremely beautiful but still, the tone you'd get with the G400 or an LP Standard is way better for metal/rock smile.gif Plus, it kinda looks pretty big if you'd stand up and were shredding on it, it'd look a bit weird ph34r.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 25 2013, 12:32 PM
Lots a hard rock was/is done on 'thin line' dot archtops. They can sound almost exactly like an LP - sometimes even 'bigger'. Rock players from Clapton to Tom De Long to Noel Gallagher to Steve Howe use thin lines. And obviously they're also good for soul, blues and jazz. A thin line and a Tele are the two most realistically versatile guitars you can own.
Either of your choices is excellent w/in the budget.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jul 25 2013, 12:33 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 25 2013, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Welcome back man! and congrats on your graduation! What styles do you want to play?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jul 25 2013, 08:02 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 25 2013, 04:22 PM) *
Welcome back man! and congrats on your graduation! What styles do you want to play?

Mainly rock, punk rock, metal, but also some blues smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2013, 09:10 PM
If you are really in to Punk, Metal and Blues, I'd say get a guitar that's built for that style of music. Whatever you get, make sure you put your hands on it before buying. Buying a guitar over the internet based on recommendations is a great way to get a guitar that you don't want to keep. Go to your local music store, no matter how far away and try them all.

Todd
QUOTE (Davidian @ Jul 25 2013, 03:02 PM) *

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 25 2013, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (Davidian @ Jul 25 2013, 07:02 PM) *

More rock; Charvel
More traditional; Epiphone smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 26 2013, 08:03 AM
Instructor
Can't go wrong with the Les Paul, but if you really want an archtop, I will come in and tell you that one of the world's most rock n roll people plays one regularly and sounds big as an ocean with it:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:51 PM