2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Amp Needed
herrb
Apr 23 2009, 12:41 PM
GMC:er
Hey Guys!

I have a JACKSON RR5 BK (http://www.thomann.de/at/jackson_rr5bk_egitarre.htm) and a Boss Bc-60 Pedalboard with Wah, Boss MT-2 (http://www.thomann.de/at/boss_mt2_metal_zone.htm), and Boss RC-2.

As amp, I use a PA. I go directly into the mixer, then ampifier and then a normal fullrange box of a PA. I also have a small fender amp with 15 Watt.

Now I'm thinking about buying aguitar amp. I want to use my pedals and i don't know if they were still useful if i used a Valve Amp like the Laney LC-30 (http://www.thomann.de/at/laney_lc30112n.htm). So maybe a transistor amp is better? I also think i need some more effects. Chorus, flanger, delay, reverb... For that I thought of a MARSHALL MG250DFX (http://www.thomann.de/at/marshall_mg250dfx_bv_stock.htm). It has a effects section included. I started thinking that it would have been better for me to buy a Line 6 PODXT : ( but i want to use my pedalboard.

what do you suggest me to do? what i want is good sound and an amp for both live and studio use.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
Apr 23 2009, 03:28 PM
It's definitely better to get a tube (valve) amp if you have enough money!
The overdrive channel of a tube amp will probably sound better than the distortion you get out of your metal zone, but if you still want to use metal zone, it will also sound better on a tube amp than on a transistor one.

How much money do you plan to spend on the amp? That fact will help us to give you the best possible suggestions within the price frame.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Visit my website - www.ivanmihaljevic.com
my MySpace - www.myspace.com/ivanmihaljevic
And if you want to buy my CD - www.cdbaby.com/cd/ivanmihaljevic

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 23 2009, 03:35 PM
I go with a tube amp. I have a Framus Ruby Riot 30W stack (well head and 2 x 12") and it seriously blows everything else I ever played away. It is insane and it is incredibly loud with it being all valve but you can get it quiet enough to use at home also smile.gif

I'd highly recommend it.

But my advice is try them out. See what you like and what you don't like. If you want decent clean tones then don't get Marshall as it's only really great when driven. If you want decent clean and so-so distorted get Fender amps. If you want to get something a bit special that can handle clean and distorted to a pretty good level get a Framus or EngL

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 23 2009, 04:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Avoid the MG amps mate, they are pretty bad and bear no resemblance to a proper Marshall. The JVM and vintage Modified are the way to go for Marshall sounds if thats what youre after, depends on what you want to play!!

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Apr 23 2009, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (sted @ Apr 23 2009, 11:11 AM) *
Avoid the MG amps mate, they are pretty bad and bear no resemblance to a proper Marshall. The JVM and vintage Modified are the way to go for Marshall sounds if thats what youre after, depends on what you want to play!!

I do not mind solid-state but the only time I would really prefer it over a tube/valve would be for clean tone. Even then, there may be a tube-amp that will win me over on the clean side.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 23 2009, 09:20 PM
Instructor
What's your budget mate?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
herrb
Apr 24 2009, 10:33 AM
first of all thank you all very much for your great comments!

my budget would be around 500 -700€. so i think a stack will not fit, except the MG100HDFX but i think its crap. what of course is important, i want to play metal. maybe a bit of rock, but mainly metal. waht do you think of the laney lc-30? its on ebay for about 430€ (http://cgi.ebay.at/NEW-LANEY-LC30-lc-30-1x12-valve-Guitar-Amp_W0QQitemZ390038061505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item390038061505&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177)

This post has been edited by herrb: Apr 24 2009, 10:34 AM

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Apr 24 2009, 11:33 AM
QUOTE (herrb @ Apr 24 2009, 05:33 AM) *
first of all thank you all very much for your great comments!

my budget would be around 500 -700€. so i think a stack will not fit, except the MG100HDFX but i think its crap. what of course is important, i want to play metal. maybe a bit of rock, but mainly metal. waht do you think of the laney lc-30? its on ebay for about 430€ (http://cgi.ebay.at/NEW-LANEY-LC30-lc-30-1x12-valve-Guitar-Amp_W0QQitemZ390038061505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item390038061505&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177)

I like Laney's; but, I am not sure about buying an amp on EBAY. I know you really not supposed to buy guitars on there.

+Quote Post
herrb
Apr 27 2009, 10:40 AM
"push"

so any amp suggestions?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 27 2009, 03:24 PM
Instructor
If you can be a bit patient, Marshall is putting out a new "HAZE" series, featuring 40W 1x12 combo with added digital effects (echo, chorus, vibrato). This should be a good buy, it's all tube and costs around bellow 700e.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 27 2009, 03:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
Apr 28 2009, 07:24 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 27 2009, 04:24 PM) *
If you can be a bit patient, Marshall is putting out a new "HAZE" series, featuring 40W 1x12 combo with added digital effects (echo, chorus, vibrato). This should be a good buy, it's all tube and costs around bellow 700e.

I'm not very sure about that. I prefer having the effects outside of the amp, especially the digital ones. I'd rather go for a good tube amp with fx loop.

Try out a couple of different tube amps! Try Laney LC-30, Peavey Valve King 212 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_valve_king_212.htm)...

My personal favorite in that price range would be Laney Lionheart L5T112 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_l5t112_lionheart.htm), but you will need an overdrive pedal to push the drive channel a little further to play metal with it! (Btw, the price is really metal 666 € \m/ biggrin.gif )

This post has been edited by Ivan Mihaljevic: Apr 28 2009, 07:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 28 2009, 09:16 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 23 2009, 04:35 PM) *
I go with a tube amp. I have a Framus Ruby Riot 30W stack (well head and 2 x 12") and it seriously blows everything else I ever played away. It is insane and it is incredibly loud with it being all valve but you can get it quiet enough to use at home also smile.gif

I'd highly recommend it.

But my advice is try them out. See what you like and what you don't like. If you want decent clean tones then don't get Marshall as it's only really great when driven. If you want decent clean and so-so distorted get Fender amps. If you want to get something a bit special that can handle clean and distorted to a pretty good level get a Framus or EngL

^^What he said biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
herrb
Apr 28 2009, 01:21 PM
thanx guys! realy helpful! see you soon maybe review of a new amp xD

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 28 2009, 01:35 PM
Instructor
Cool, let us know what you bought! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Apr 28 2009, 05:28 PM
ENGL is nice.

+Quote Post
Ivan Mihaljevic
Apr 28 2009, 09:35 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Apr 28 2009, 06:28 PM) *
ENGL is nice.

But I'd say it's over his budget unfortunately...

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 3 2009, 10:06 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Mihaljevic @ Apr 28 2009, 10:35 PM) *
But I'd say it's over his budget unfortunately...

Mine too :/

+Quote Post
herrb
May 15 2009, 11:48 AM
Hey i found an amp on ebay, it's used but it say in fine condition.

it's a Marshall JCM 50/25W Model 2554:

http://cgi.ebay.at/Marshall-JCM-50-25W-Mod...%3A1%7C294%3A50

but my problem is, i can barely find any information about this amp. it's even not on thomann.de!

the language is german but if you want i can translate something.

does anybody know this amp and can tell me something about it such as new price, sound quality, etc...?

greetz, herrb

This post has been edited by herrb: May 15 2009, 11:49 AM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 15 2009, 12:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
First of all: This amp must be very old! It has been reissued as a silver jubilee series recently, but this one is an original one so my guess is that it COULD be over 20 years old!!!

I can't say how much it cost when it was new, the reissue price was 1200$ afaik. The amp itself is really cool, good speaker, a half power switch, fx loop and footswitch (although it's not included on this one)

In the end I would suggest to stay away from it, you don't know how old it really is but I can assure you that you might not only have to replace the tubes, but also other, more expensives parts of the circuit just because of the amps age.

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: May 15 2009, 12:25 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
herrb
May 15 2009, 12:38 PM
I asked the guy selling the marshall if the tubes or anything else hase been replaced and how old it really is. maybe i'll buy it if so. and if not, i'll see how much the price will raise from now 'cause for let's say 200 bucks, i'd take an old amp if the reissue cost 1200$.

i'll report as fast as possible,

greetz peter

This post has been edited by herrb: May 15 2009, 12:39 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:53 AM