Finger Independence Exercises
Gert1973
Sep 28 2023, 11:10 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Manu,

I have been studying and practicing the first 2 exercises.

Here's a take of number one:

I'm mostly struggling with muting the lower string with my pinky. I have tried out many different positions to solve the problem but I have not yet found one. The finger independence exercise would be much more easy if I can solve the pinky problem laugh.gif
When I play it from bottom to top, you notice it's more easy. I also bend the strings trying to solve the muting problem, which is not the idea I think.

Here's a take of exercise number two:

This exercise is more easy because I don't have a big issue as in exercise number one. I can see my left hand is very tensed. So I have to do much more practice on this one. But I think I understand the technique...

Let me know if you (or Monica) have some tips to improve these skills...

Thank you for sending me these exercises. I will take them in into my daily routine. I will learn the other 3 exercises in time.

Cheers,
Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 28 2023, 12:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Sep 28 2023, 10:10 AM) *
Let me know if you (or Monica) have some tips to improve these skills...
Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Look, because you wrote my name on this topic, I will respond, but I will be very honest. From my point of view, it's not the right moment for you to do these exercises. It can make you develop bad habits (as is visible that happened in both videos that you posted: wrong position of the hand and fingers, too much tension in hand, etc).
We do the alternate picking lesson, especially to correct your hand positions, hand synch, picking, etc.

The order of the techniques that we learn and the exercises that we do is very important if we want to develop good techniques and make constant progress. Skipping steps is never a good idea.
Of course, it's up to you what you want to practice. I only added my two cents.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Sep 28 2023, 01:42 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 28 2023, 01:11 PM) *
Hi Gert!

Look, because you wrote my name on this topic, I will respond, but I will be very honest. From my point of view, it's not the right moment for you to do these exercises. It can make you develop bad habits (as is visible that happened in both videos that you posted: wrong position of the hand and fingers, too much tension in hand, etc).
We do the alternate picking lesson, especially to correct your hand positions, hand synch, picking, etc.

The order of the techniques that we learn and the exercises that we do is very important if we want to develop good techniques and make constant progress. Skipping steps is never a good idea.
Of course, it's up to you what you want to practice. I only added my two cents.

Hi Monica,

Ok... thanks for your honest opinion. If you say it's too early for this kind of exercise, then I will not continue practicing it.

Hi Manu,

As Monica is my guidance here, I follow her advice wink.gif

But thanks for trying to help me!

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Sep 30 2023, 01:29 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Gert.

I'm happy to see you working on this kind of exercise.
The 1st was recommended to me by my teacher 35 years ago and I had the same difficulties as you. He made me progress a lot.
For this one, the speed isn't goal, take yor time on slow beat metronome.

The 2d comes from a GMC lesson like I told you in the PM.
I took the liberty of giving you a little help as I have already done with my friends.

The goal is to break the usual routine.
To conclude: Follow your mentor's advice, I'm just a humble guitarist. I'm not a teacher. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Manu RASSE: Sep 30 2023, 05:41 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:54 PM