I'm Good At Playing, I suck at writing
shellshock1911
Mar 11 2008, 02:32 AM
GMC:er
Yea so, as my confidence in my guitar PLAYING ability increases, I still suck at improvising or writing music. I have been trying to do good in that area but I just can't and to me frankly is really boring, hard on my mind at least, and maybe just not for me. I certainly don't plan on continuing guitar past enjoyment level and may not even ever join a band. I love listening to music mainly and love to just learn and play songs. I know how I am going to get responses saying "Just let it flow," "Just use your creativity and emotions." I don't think this works, no matter how emotional I am, it always comes out pretty bad I and my perfectionist attitude drives my crazy because I want it to be good but it just isn't good enough for my own set standards. As I get into other stuff that I really enjoy such as learning Spanish, my will to play guitar just goes down and stuff like improvisation just seems like some giant annoying math problem and it is so much more enjoyable just to listen to and learn my favorite songs. What do I do?

EDIT: Meh, actually the title was bad. I enjoy writing riffs and can write melodies pretty well with no backing chords or anything and I enjoy that but as soon as you throw a backing track or chord progression behind, I just can't do anything.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Mar 11 2008, 02:36 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:26 PM