New Pickups
JeroenKole
Jul 29 2008, 01:22 PM
GMC:er
So I'm planning on gettign some new pickups installed in my guitar. But I'm not entirely sure what to get.

I play an Ibanez S320 and I'm getting tired of the sound the inf 1 and 2 pickups.

A few things are certain.
I have a floating trem.
I don't want active pickups.
And I want moderate output pickups.

For the neck pickup I am quite certain that I want an Seymour Duncan '59
I have not middle pickup so that makes things easy.
But for the bridge Pickup I have no idea what to get. I want an Pickup that has more output than the '59 but still has to fall into the moderate output category. A bit more gain, bottom end and treble would be nice, but it still has to be quite PAF like'ish.

Also I'm hoping the local guitartech can switch my 5-way switch to an 3 way switch.

Thanks already,

J

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JeroenKole: Jul 29 2008, 01:23 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jul 29 2008, 01:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Check these out i have two sets of stans pickups
http://www.has-sound.com/pickups.htm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 29 2008, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Stan all the way smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 29 2008, 01:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
Do you want a coil in the middle or a coil sized humbucker?
The bridge position can also be filled with a 59 (bridge version ofc) or with a Jeff Beck (Sh-4)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Jul 29 2008, 02:51 PM
The local guitar tech only has EMG, Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan and Schaller pickups. And I wish to stay at two humbuckers.

If I really was for my own tone I would look at the smaller companies (which in my opinion generally deliver much higher quality).

At the moment the only thing I want to accomplish is to generate a better tone that is at least 50% less annoying than my current pickups (Which is to be honest quite easy).

I have added the stans pickups to my favorites though because they do produce a great sound smile.gif.

for the bridge pickup I wouldn't go for another '59. mostly because I still play mostly metal. I love PAF sounds however so maybe I should look at the customs? huh.gif

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jul 29 2008, 03:53 PM
Check out the Dimarzio Norton, sounds pretty much like an thicker, hotter PAF, but still moderate output. But it has a beefy mid-range, witch is very different from Seymour Duncan pickups, so the Norton will cut through the mix a lot easier. Another option is the Dimarzio Tone Zone, witch sounds huge, but has a A5 magnet and isn't too hot.

You may also want to consider pairing the Norton, or Tone Zone with another Dimarzio in the neck position, the PAF Pro is a great articulate pickup, that Paul Gilbert uses a lot. Or the Air Norton witch is a lower output Norton, with more headroom. There is also a Bluesbucker witch sounds similar to a Soapbar pickup.

I personally can't recommend Seymour Duncan because I've only had bad experiences with their pickups. And of course it's hard to go wrong with custom pickups, and boutique pickups as well, but they are more expensive.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 29 2008, 04:00 PM
Instructor
I have lil 59 in the bridge and it is not for metal. It has sweet mids and hi mids, and rules for rock leads, but not for metal. I would go for a perfect match for 59 neck - JB bridge. That pickup is trebly, and great for everything, but mostly for heavy styles.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
bladzerok
Jul 29 2008, 04:07 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
i ordered a dimarzio evo bridge and a paf pro for my ibanez s320. ill have them installed next week. i can tell you what i think about it after

edit: ah... nvm i just read that you wanted moderate output laugh.gif

This post has been edited by bladzerok: Jul 29 2008, 04:08 PM

--------------------
My gears are:
guitars:
-simon and patrick accoustic guitar
-ovation accoustic guitar
-Ibanez S320 electric guitar
-Ibanez RG7321 electric guitar
amp:
-Peavey valveking 112
effects:
-Boss SD-1
-Dunlop crybaby from hell
-Boss GE-7 7-Band Equaliser
-Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:34 PM