Student Lesson Series: "castlevania 2: Simon's Quest Medley", NES music, in the style of EMULATOR
derper
Feb 10 2012, 04:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hello GMC, it's Gabe Rodriguez ("Derper") here with the first of my own lesson series of "NES music, in the style of EMULATOR"!! I started with this one, because it contains some riffs that I need to work on most, before our next show!! wink.gif

EMULATOR is my Portland-based Nintendo music band. I originally conceived the idea for this project, something a bit more driven by keys/synth, as opposed to the uber-metal guitar driven NES bands that are already out there (but MUCH respect for their bands as well!! biggrin.gif ).

Because our goal is to keep the crowds dancing, moving and smiling at our shows, we end up playing several songs from each game together as a "medley", as with this first lesson.... "Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest Medley"!!

This particular "medley" consists of 3 separate, and distinctly different sections. I'll refer to them as "Main Theme", "Bloody Tears" (thanks Dinaga....did not know the actual name for that tune!!) and "Evil Night" (in that order). This lesson will also be broken down into 3 separate sections, covering each piece in depth. The "Bloody Tears" section is the portion in which I play a guitar solo with EMULATOR, so you also will be invited to participate in a "collab" in which you can help to write my solo for that part**!!

Here's the full original NES version:

Here's a video of EMULATOR performing the entire medley live:

(I think I flub up a main line pretty badly, which is why I am practicing the heck out of this before our next show!!)

I've also uploaded an EMULATOR rehearsal of this medley, with the guitar cut out. It bled into the other mics a bit, since it was not recorded specifically for this lesson. But it works out pretty well. (Too bad I can't cut out the keyboard solo in section 1, for another solo section to "collab" on!!)

AND, I've uploaded some charts for each section, courtesy of JP Downer, EMULATOR's bass guitar extraordinaire! They go in this order: 2-1, 2-2, "Evil Night". I will also provide some tab notes within the lesson, and may make a tab file eventually, or if requested....although the tab notes here will most likely suffice.

Enough words....let's start with the first part of the lesson!!

Here's me playing the intro and main theme.... I'm at work (no pedalboard, just a roland micro-cube!!) so I cut the video coming into the rhythm/chord section over the keys solo, because I would normally cut the shred tone for a clean tone. Anyway, here's that part full speed with backing track!

I was nice enough to screw it up on the second time around!! tongue.gif

Here's the Intro Riff, slowed down.

Here's the Main Riff, slowed down.

And those chords demo'd slower and with no backing!
Here are the fingerings I'm using over the first part of the chords chords:

For the Gm, F, Bb...Cm, D, Gm section you can just use a basic barre or "power" chord

**Note on "collab": I am in the process of writing a more defined solo for this section. In fact, I may end up using some licks and inspiration from YOUR submissions, if you're willing to let me!! Please note otherwise, if you'd rather not have me "stealing" your riffs!! tongue.gif Otherwise, please consider it for fun, and remember..... "imitation, is the greatest form of flattery!!"

Leaving work in 10 mins, so that's all for today. Tomorrow, I'll try and add tab for all of the parts.

Please let me know of any suggestions, as this is my first "student lesson"!! Unlike "INSTRUCTOR lessons", I'm basically along for the ride with you.... meaning, I'm in the process of getting my chops back up on this particular song. In the future, I'll provide lessons on medleys which I am tighter on. I'm under a time-crunch for several projects, so starting with the lesson I need to practice MOST, makes sense for me as a player. That's the benefit of just being a student!!

Give me feedback, suggestions, questions etc!! See you all in the, well "my", morning!!

Attached File  noguitar_castlevania.mp3 ( 6.94MB ) Number of downloads: 255

Attached File  castlevania2_1.pdf ( 49.53K ) Number of downloads: 244

Attached File  castlevania2_2.pdf ( 51.01K ) Number of downloads: 234

Attached File  castlevania_evil_night.pdf ( 45.37K ) Number of downloads: 204

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Feb 13 2012, 10:03 AM

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 10 2012, 01:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sweet, man! Congratulations on your first lesson!

I LOVE the backing track and can't wait to cover this biggrin.gif This is like a dream come true biggrin.gif
I assume that the 2nd section solo you're talking about begins at 03:25 of the backing track? I'll write something this week and send you. wink.gif

Now some feedback about the lesson itself so the next one can be even better! smile.gif

* I like how in the slow videos you got closer to the camera, so the fretboard can be seen better. But your right hand should also be seen in every video, especially the slower ones! It's VERY important!

* You should pay attention to the lighting because it's very important for people watching, so they don't have to guess what you are playing. I know you recorded this at work and you can't really do much about it in this situation, but if you get a chance to record at home, add more light smile.gif

* If you mess up playing your own lesson, record it again until you play it perfectly! No excuses! biggrin.gif

* More camera angles are always welcome. It's not mandatory but if you can manage it, that's a great plus!

* Everything else is just great and I'm REALLY looking forward to the next lesson! Also, I'll surely learn this one because it's so freaking awesome biggrin.gif Will post my take when I get it done! smile.gif

That's all for now, cheers mate and great job on this! It's no small thing to have the first video game music-based lesson and I hope this will encourage you to make many more lessons, and also I hope it will encourage more people to get into this wonderful music! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 10 2012, 01:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 10 2012, 07:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks!!

It's no excuse, but I'm using my girlfriend's camera, which for whatever reason will not actually show me video upon playback!! I can hear the take, but can't see it until I upload to youtube (weird, and a horrible little "glitch" to work with), which is why I was able to "guess" about the shot and camera angle, but will certainly put focus onto catching the right hand as well.

I'll get the tab up today after breakfast, because that's a MUST HAVE!!

And yeah.... I shouldn't mess up in my own video!! BUT, you guys would be waiting another week or two for me to get it perfect!! wink.gif But the next few vids in the series, I'll bring it much more solid.

Thanks for the tip on the lighting. I may be at work, but we've got PLENTY of track lighting for the mattresses!! All I have to do it grab a ladder and re-aim a few next time I'm shooting a vid at work!! I'll probably end up with better lighting there, than at home (for now!).

As mentioned, tab coming very soon. Hopefully I have time to shoot vids for the next 2 sections as well, which really aren't as tough (in my opinion).

'Til then, have fun with it, and thanks for the support and feedback!! It really was a lot to tackle, in order to get that up in one afternoon. But still, I'd really like to make sure the ones in the future are a bit higher quality. Please hurry up tax return!!

And "yes", the solo section for the collab begins about 3:25!! Can't WAIT to hear some of the killer solo ideas that get thrown down on that section!! laugh.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2012, 07:35 PM
Instructor
Cool lesson man! I really enjoyed this version!! I like when the rock version of old video games soundtracks... I was a big fan of "Contra" so I was thinking in doing my version of its music... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 11 2012, 08:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
Contra is one of my favorite parts of the EMULATOR show!!

We do a medley that progresses from the title screen--> Level 1 the Jungle----->Level 2 Base ------>Level 3 Waterfall----> Credits song

If fact, I was thinking of doing our "Contra medley" or "Mega Man2 medley" next in this lesson series!!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 11 2012, 10:35 AM) *
Cool lesson man! I really enjoyed this version!! I like when the rock version of old video games soundtracks... I was a big fan of "Contra" so I was thinking in doing my version of its music... smile.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 11 2012, 10:13 PM
Instructor
Nice work man smile.gif I really enjoyed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 12 2012, 04:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ok everyone, thanks for bearing with the "hiccups" in my first lesson!! I've added tab and chord fingerings to the original post above. Also, I'll try and re-shoot the vids to give you a clear vision of my right hand action as well. But to be honest, I tend to alternate pick a lot. Whatever works for you really.

Also coming soon..... part 2 of this lesson, in which we get to RIP killer solos on the Castlevania collab!! cool.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 12 2012, 11:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
**UPDATE!!!**

Hey everyone, I added tab to the original lesson post at the top!! It seemed to "re-align" a bit when I entered it, but I think I've got it lined up properly. Let me know if anyone has any questions on this. I would LOVE to see a video response, if anyone gets to working on this "lesson" as well!

I will try and shoot new videos of the right hand motion for the slowed down takes. Sorry about that, and will make sure to back away from the camera a bit in the future. But as mentioned, I'm mostly alternate picking, but do what's comfortable for you. For example, I COULD sweep a few notes, but I'm not very good at playing with perfect timing when sweeping, so I tend to just alternate pick instead. A well placed sweep could sound great, if you can pull it off!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Feb 12 2012, 11:13 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Wow Derper thanks for sharing your work on such cool games ! Nice work smile.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 12 2012, 11:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Olivier!! You're encouragement means a lot to me, since this is my first "student lesson" series. I've already learned from this experience, and promise to improve the quality and organization of my lessons in the near-future!!

Just remember that I'm hear for any tips or questions as well, and encourage you to post any takes if you start working on this one!

QUOTE (Olivier777 @ Feb 12 2012, 02:13 PM) *
Wow Derper thanks for sharing your work on such cool games ! Nice work smile.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 13 2012, 12:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Awesome mate! biggrin.gif Keep on the great stuff smile.gif

I'm already jammin' to this one, but I'll post a video response when all three Castlevania lessons are finished so I can make a big medley smile.gif
While I was learning this lesson I also made a Guitar Pro tab for it (based on the tab you posted) so I can remember the melody easier.
I attached it here, if someone finds it useful wink.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 13 2012, 12:57 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Castlevania_part_1.gp5 ( 2.81K ) Number of downloads: 94

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 13 2012, 02:21 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks so much Dinaga!! I don't currently have GP, but I'm sure some people will find it very useful!! ESPECIALLY since I've been in the process of re-editing the tab I entered to the original post!! ARGH!! Well, actually I have to thank Bogdan for catching my mistake, but I've been busy at work today (for once....no time for guitar! mad.gif ) so I'm still not finished. The tab was correct, but....long story. Fixing now.

Also, I heard there is a free, open-source version of GP. I'll get that very soon. It's been a BUSY week for this guy!! I'll finally get some real time after feb.

Dinaga, I think you're gonna LOVE the "Contra" lesson when I get to that one!! Intense, fun riffs!!

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 12 2012, 03:42 PM) *
Awesome mate! biggrin.gif Keep on the great stuff smile.gif

I'm already jammin' to this one, but I'll post a video response when all three Castlevania lessons are finished so I can make a big medley smile.gif
While I was learning this lesson I also made a Guitar Pro tab for it (based on the tab you posted) so I can remember the melody easier.
I attached it here, if someone finds it useful wink.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 13 2012, 09:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Feb 11 2012, 04:28 PM) *
Contra is one of my favorite parts of the EMULATOR show!!

We do a medley that progresses from the title screen--> Level 1 the Jungle----->Level 2 Base ------>Level 3 Waterfall----> Credits song

If fact, I was thinking of doing our "Contra medley" or "Mega Man2 medley" next in this lesson series!!

hahaha love it mate!!! I want to play this song with your band!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
You guys sound very tight!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 13 2012, 08:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
A big thanks again to Dinaga, for the perfect GP tab file!!

I just downloaded "Tuxguitar", the open-source GP. I think it's a must have, if I'm going to be spending this much time at GMC!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
TuckerG
May 6 2012, 12:14 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 11 2012, 06:35 PM) *

Ahhhh Haha Gab you were in to Contra bro? biggrin.gif I sir, am a Contra Alumni myself! I would say a solid year of my self esteem and internal validation as child was based on Contra skill. LOL! biggrin.gif Contra...

-Tucker

EMULATOR is my Portland-based Nintendo music band. I originally conceived the idea for this project, something a bit more driven by keys/synth, as opposed to the uber-metal guitar driven NES bands that are already out there (but MUCH respect for their bands as well!! biggrin.gif ).

Man, AHHH! Finally, finally music that is not...well, a freakin' song someone wrote as a unique piece of musical creativity, that sounds like a song that fits it's respective genre good or bad, etc. Man, Castlevania/Contra/80's Nintendo soundtrack medley in full force, C'mon son! This is creativity good sir! Derper, I would seriously cruz around in my truck jamming to Emulator VG medleys, I am not kidding. biggrin.gif Great, great, great, idea, period. smile.gif

-Tucker

+Quote Post
derper
May 6 2012, 08:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (TuckerG @ May 6 2012, 04:14 AM) *
Ahhhh Haha Gab you were in to Contra bro? biggrin.gif I sir, am a Contra Alumni myself! I would say a solid year of my self esteem and internal validation as child was based on Contra skill. LOL! biggrin.gif Contra...

-Tucker

Man, AHHH! Finally, finally music that is not...well, a freakin' song someone wrote as a unique piece of musical creativity, that sounds like a song that fits it's respective genre good or bad, etc. Man, Castlevania/Contra/80's Nintendo soundtrack medley in full force, C'mon son! This is creativity good sir! Derper, I would seriously cruz around in my truck jamming to Emulator VG medleys, I am not kidding. biggrin.gif Great, great, great, idea, period. smile.gif

-Tucker

Thanks Tucker!! Glad you dig it!

Here's some brand new footage, with WAY better quality than the last vid!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:10 AM