Dimebag, Soloing
BM
Aug 21 2007, 10:17 AM
GMC:er
Hope someone can help me cause i have no idea how he gets those crazy solos and those awesome squeels. can anyone make a video on how to do that and break down some techniques used in solos like Cemetary Gates and Cowboys from Hell? thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 21 2007, 10:30 AM
QUOTE (BM @ Aug 21 2007, 05:17 AM) *
Hope someone can help me cause i have no idea how he gets those crazy solos and those awesome squeels. can anyone make a video on how to do that and break down some techniques used in solos like Cemetary Gates and Cowboys from Hell? thanks

i saw a video on youtube how he gets those sick squealies. you do a natural harmonic and then u whammy like crazy. here

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
D0NNY
Aug 21 2007, 11:20 AM
QUOTE (BM @ Aug 21 2007, 01:17 AM) *

this one shows you as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0VHx091DnQ...ted&search=

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Sergeant_Ant
Aug 21 2007, 11:23 AM
Are you sure its a natural harmonic? when i play the floods or cemetary gates I have to do a pinch harmonic because theres no natural one in that spot

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Whenever society gets too stifling and the rules get too complex, there's some sort of musical explosion" - Slash / Guns 'n Roses

"Play the music, not the instrument." - Author Unknown

Equpiment
Guitars: Ibanez RG350EX
Fender Stratocaster S-S-S
Effects: None
Amps: Fender SP-10

www.myspace.com/sergeantant

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 21 2007, 09:43 PM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 21 2007, 09:30 AM) *
i saw a video on youtube how he gets those sick squealies. you do a natural harmonic and then u whammy like crazy. here

Ahhh now I get it! Thank you for that video.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 21 2007, 10:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think Dimebag lessons are the most requested at GMC!
Someone please do a in the style of Dimebag lesson

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 22 2007, 01:02 AM
Hurray I just made my first squealy!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (Not that regular thing you do with your thumb, but the whammy thing)

Edit: Turns out I didnt do it for real. This is driving me nuts!

Am I supposed to pick the string, and then touch the string just really quickly and take my finger away again? I can only manage to make regular harmonics tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Aug 22 2007, 02:00 AM

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 22 2007, 01:13 AM
QUOTE (BM @ Aug 21 2007, 05:17 AM) *

First off i can tell you sound wise what you really need to produce those squeels you speak of smile.gif You need good pickups really humbucker's in my opinion .You also want to use as much distortion and gain as you can posabliy get maxed out to 10.Dimebag plays heavy so you got to get your sound set to play heavy.Also Dime used a digitech Whammy pedal alot of the time along with an octaver or harmoniser effect pedal.Its very hard to recreate his sounds on leads because he did use many different effects to make his sound his own.Good luck and just keep looking and practicing till you get it right

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 22 2007, 04:49 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well, if your playing Cemetary Gates, ive never heard anyone come close to thos Pinch Harmonics, Ever, Dime truly excelled in harmonics, among other things, its so hard to replicate his tone.

The only way i know of is just to try Pinch harmonics on different strings that are the same notes, like instead of

|------|
|------|
|------|
|-4*--| I think thats where the harmonic is on most tabs and music
|------|
|------|

Play it like this

|-------|
|-------|
|-------|
|-------| And you might be able to get a better sound.
|--9*--|
|-------|

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 22 2007, 08:36 AM
QUOTE (Sergeant_Ant @ Aug 21 2007, 04:23 AM) *
Are you sure its a natural harmonic? when i play the floods or cemetary gates I have to do a pinch harmonic because theres no natural one in that spot

ive never heard of the song, neither seen the tab. But im sure that a natural harmonic can be done anywhere, right?

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 22 2007, 08:48 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
^Not really, some spots on the string just produce no noise and little if any.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:17 AM