2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What's Your Favorite Delay Pedal?
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 02:28 PM
Instructor
I've been noodling around with delay pedals and I can't make up my mind on which one I'd like to have in my rig as the next acquisition. Many people have recommended the Line 6 DL4 - which, indeed, I have noticed being used by many pros in the industry, but I understood it kind of eats away the tone somehow... Any thoughts on this one?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 22 2013, 02:46 PM
Learning Roadie
It's on a lot of pros pedal boards.

Have a look at the TC Flashback

Strymon Timeline

Strymon El Capstan (tape delay sim)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 22 2013, 03:01 PM
Instructor
Got a lot of ground to cover here biggrin.gif Thanks mate!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 22 2013, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
I love delay (almost as much as overdrive).

For simple repeats that are warm and don't get in the way - Maxon AD-80
Malekko 616 - analog, warm with modulation speed and depth controls.
Cleaner yet still a simple pedal - Boss DD 3 through DD6
Lots of options and easily footswitchable - Line 6 DL-4 (you can do stuff on this pedal very EASILY that you can't really do with anything else - ft sw reverse/loop/half speed/etc.) There's a reason SO many pros still use this. It does add a 'little' top end sheen to your tone.
TC Nova delay - great tone, no coloration but you have to tap dance to change pre-sets.
TC Flashback - simple, compact version of the Nova (tonally). You can upload patches to it.
(The 'flashback' x4 looks pretty cool!)

*I've personally found that the Strymon - yes, I know it gets raves - has a digital thing in the upper register that I don't like, especially at that price - $300.00 US.

If you're interested I have some fx as well as other gear listed for this (huge) mix of songs ... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cf...p;content=music

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 22 2013, 04:25 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 23 2013, 12:59 PM
Instructor
Thanks for a nice review Ken - I will take a look over each piece of gear biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 23 2013, 01:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Cosmin! I have the Line 6 DL-4 in my rig and it's a great pedal if you want to have 3 different delay settings and also if you want to experiment with some weird fxs. I am not giving it an important use to it right now so I would be ok with something simpler. I can notice that the sound isn't the same when it is inserted in the tone chain but it's nothing so serious. The two cons that I found with this one are, that you can't set delays in a fixed tempo (in bpm), you have to do it by ear or with the tap, and that I have to use a different transformer to connect it while the other pedals use the same.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 23 2013, 06:01 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 23 2013, 12:33 PM) *
I have to use a different transformer to connect it while the other pedals use the same.

There are a few power supplies that allow for Line 6 pedals along with other 'normal' pedals.
http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm
http://www.voodoolab.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22
http://www.voodoolab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4191
http://t-rex-effects.com/products/fueltank-chameleon-1.aspx
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1101126

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 23 2013, 06:48 PM
I have always had a soft spot for the Boss DD3, ever since I first had one ( back in the late 80's I think) I've always had one in my rig/on my board somewhere!
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 23 2013, 07:05 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
lothomer
Jan 24 2013, 12:50 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 22 2013, 01:46 PM) *
It's on a lot of pros pedal boards.

Have a look at the TC Flashback

Strymon Timeline

Strymon El Capstan (tape delay sim)

Hi there Cosmin,

i had the Line6 Delay (as you show) for a couple of years. I didn't like the tone very much, cause it changes the sound of the signal. It is a very versatile pedal, different kinds of delays and you can store up to 3 different delay settings even with tap tempo. I once saw Joe Bonamassa had the same in his rig for a while. Recently i changed for the TC Flashback X4 - the sound is great - no tonal changes, very dynamic. I'm very glad with it (3 Delays + Tap Tempo) and you can load new settings via iphone. Great pedal!

--------------------
Never too old to rock!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 04:05 AM
I don't use individual pedals in my rigs much, but the unit you picked is used by wads of pro guys and I've ready folks love it for it's flexibility and tone so it seems like a fine choice smile.gif HOWEVER!!!!!!

If you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad, you can get the IK STOMP BOX which is a very versatile device indeed. You can load any FX you'd like on it and it can become one of dozens of possible fx boxes and acts just like a stomp box smile.gif

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstomp/

Attached Image
Attached Image

I know you said 2013 was going to be the year you jumped in to all this Scary high tech craziness!!!! smile.gif

OR!!!!!!

The Digitech iSTOMP!!!! Which does all processing in the PEDAL ITSELF so you download your stomp box to the pedal and then you don't need to bring your iphone/pod. The pedal is actually programmed and behaves like a standard pedal. The IK device needs to be connected to an iphone/ipod since it's just an interface really wink.gif

http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/istomp

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2013, 04:18 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 24 2013, 09:45 AM
Instructor
Thanks for the input guys - Todd, I don't own an iphone, but I was curious are there any apps that operate using Android? I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and I think I would be curious to try some stuff, just for the sake of seeing what's what with these things smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 24 2013, 01:11 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 24 2013, 08:45 AM) *
but I was curious are there any apps that operate using Android?

Well, funny you should ask that C-man!!!
IK HAVE GONE ANDROID!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Not a full range of Apps like there is for iPhone, but I shouldn't think it will be long before they see there's a demand for it!!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 24 2013, 01:13 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 24 2013, 02:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 24 2013, 12:11 PM) *
Well, funny you should ask that C-man!!!
IK HAVE GONE ANDROID!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Not a full range of Apps like there is for iPhone, but I shouldn't think it will be long before they see there's a demand for it!!

Thank you Neil - let's see what we got here smile.gif

+Quote Post
unclemeat
Jan 24 2013, 03:45 PM
I know the Timeline gets a lot of love... but I think it's more than I can handle. Maybe a great studio pedal but not something I'd like to use live. Yes yes, presets, but if you have to make changes on stage it can get overwhelming.

I think the El Capistan might be my favorite. It sounds fantastic, has some good/useful loop functions and the general delay options are everything I need and just a bit more.

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jan 25 2013, 01:52 AM
If you're smart about how you set up your signal chain, using good cables, and do some research on buffers I wouldn't worry about it sucking any tone.

I will say though you could get a much better pedal in a much smaller size, I've never been a fan of the DL4 for that reason.

TC Nova Repeater, TC Nova Delay (basically the Repeater but with presets), Strymon El Capistan, Strymon Timeline, TC Flashback, and the TC Flashback X4 are all worth checking out. smile.gif They all come packed with features, have high quality components, sturdy construction and good bang for the buck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jan 25 2013, 06:21 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
My favourite is and will always be the Moog Moogerfooger. I first discovered it when I was analysing the rig of a musician named John Haughm. The settings are limitless and your tone doesn't really change(unless you want it to). It really is a great pedal(and it is made by a very renowned company!

The best recorded use of it I can think of right now is this:

This post has been edited by Nihilist1: Jan 25 2013, 06:22 AM

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 25 2013, 07:28 AM
My bad, I thought you had an iPod? If not, then sorry about bombarding you with iOS stuff. sad.gif The good news is, IK MULTIMEDIA SUPPORTS ANDROID!!!! As was mentioned in the thread I think smile.gif It was just announced at NAMM.

So even the mini MK808 ( A $50 Euro computer on a stick from google running android) will be able to function as a music / instrument tool! In addition to Android Phones/tablets.

The power of mobile devices continues to amaze me. And the software just keeps getting better.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 24 2013, 03:45 AM) *
Thanks for the input guys - Todd, I don't own an iphone, but I was curious are there any apps that operate using Android? I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and I think I would be curious to try some stuff, just for the sake of seeing what's what with these things smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 25 2013, 09:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Jan 25 2013, 12:52 AM) *
If you're smart about how you set up your signal chain, using good cables, and do some research on buffers I wouldn't worry about it sucking any tone.

Looks like the TCs are getting a lot of good feedback and I just remembered I have about 6 meters of George L cable which I WILL turn into patch cables biggrin.gif Still have to buy those easy mounting jacks, how were they called though?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 25 2013, 06:28 AM) *
My bad, I thought you had an iPod? If not, then sorry about bombarding you with iOS stuff. sad.gif The good news is, IK MULTIMEDIA SUPPORTS ANDROID!!!! As was mentioned in the thread I think smile.gif It was just announced at NAMM.

So even the mini MK808 ( A $50 Euro computer on a stick from google running android) will be able to function as a music / instrument tool! In addition to Android Phones/tablets.

The power of mobile devices continues to amaze me. And the software just keeps getting better.

Todd

That's one of my problems man laugh.gif it feels that, if I get one of these, it will be obsolete the next minute laugh.gif And I ask myself - now what?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 25 2013, 09:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jan 25 2013, 05:21 AM) *
My favourite is and will always be the Moog Moogerfooger. I first discovered it when I was analysing the rig of a musician named John Haughm. The settings are limitless and your tone doesn't really change(unless you want it to). It really is a great pedal(and it is made by a very renowned company!

The best recorded use of it I can think of right now is this:

That Mooh looks really interesting - I honestly can't make up my mind on what I'd like right now, just because there are so many options biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jan 25 2013, 05:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 25 2013, 08:46 AM) *
That Moog looks really interesting - I honestly can't make up my mind on what I'd like right now, just because there are so many options biggrin.gif

There are! A good place to start for a cheaper analogue pedal is probably either going to be the MXR Carbon Copy or the Way Huge Aqua Puss. If you want an oscillating delay pedal for relatively cheap, I recommend the Line 6 Echo Park.

One day, I think I might save up the money and purchase an Echoplex. If you are patient, they can be seen on Ebay in perfect condition for about $250-300 USD. I have come very close to purchasing one on many occasions.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:57 PM