A-minor Solo
Gert1973
Jan 22 2024, 11:26 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Monica,

Kick-off of a new lesson! I have studied and practiced the first half of the lesson at 60 bpm.

It's again a beautiful sounding lesson even at 60bpm.

Here's the take!

Analysis:
19: the slide is not audible
33: the pull off with the pinky is hard to do because there's also an accent on this note.
57: the pitch of these 3 bends and the timing is difficult. I have also read Darius comment on the 'slap' sound. I have tried to apply it. Don't know if it makes a big differences in my performance laugh.gif

I'm happy how it already sounds. I have the feeling this lesson is going smoother than winter ballad to learn.

I have also started to learn the second part. Maybe you want to check out slow video 6 at 1:00. I was watching it to learn the picking direction and was really confused how he made the high E-string ring on the second note on the 17th fret before going in vibrato! Until I figured out after a few minutes the video and sounds were not in sync! laugh.gif

I think there's also a mistake in the TAB of video 6. The second bar as shown on the pic below:
Attached Image

Cheers,
Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 22 2024, 01:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 22 2024, 10:26 AM) *
Hi Monica,

Kick-off of a new lesson! I have studied and practiced the first half of the lesson at 60 bpm.

It's again a beautiful sounding lesson even at 60bpm.

Here's the take!

Analysis:
19: the slide is not audible
33: the pull off with the pinky is hard to do because there's also an accent on this note.
57: the pitch of these 3 bends and the timing is difficult. I have also read Darius comment on the 'slap' sound. I have tried to apply it. Don't know if it makes a big differences in my performance laugh.gif

I'm happy how it already sounds. I have the feeling this lesson is going smoother than winter ballad to learn.

I have also started to learn the second part. Maybe you want to check out slow video 6 at 1:00. I was watching it to learn the picking direction and was really confused how he made the high E-string ring on the second note on the 17th fret before going in vibrato! Until I figured out after a few minutes the video and sounds were not in sync! laugh.gif

I think there's also a mistake in the TAB of video 6. The second bar as shown on the pic below:
Attached Image

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

You are right, this is a very beautiful lesson. smile.gif Winter Ballad was your first soloing lesson. This new lesson is much easier for learning (from the rhythm and tab point of view) but it will be a very hard road to make it sound great because it has a bunch of details. biggrin.gif
This time we need to focus on dynamics.

Let's analyze your take:

First of all, I advise you to do some experiments and see which guitar of yours is more suitable for this lesson. Your "beast" will make things sound a little more aggressive than we need. Do some tests and see which guitar makes your tone be much closer to the original lesson.

0:08 - first note. Be careful when you perform the vibrato, to not go out of tune.

0:13 - wrong pitch of the bend

0:17 - be careful of timing and at the value of the D note / G string. Don't play this earlier and shorter.

0:11 - 0:19 - make these two slides more audible.

0:21 - wrong pitch of the bend

0:21 - 0:24 - play these notes more glued. Stretch your fingers when you switch from pinky finger to middle finger (notes G to F / B string). These notes should sound legato. Avoid creating a pause between notes.

0:30 - 0:32 - you made here more a hammer-on instead of a pull-off. Once again, stretch your fingers and after you play the F note (10 fret/ G string) with the pinky finger, made the pull-off, keeping your index finger on D note (7 fret/ G string).

0:38 - the pitch of the bend is not perfect. Also, when you play the rest of the notes, it's true that you need to break the sound of the bend but don't make such big pauses between notes.

0:45 - not perfect pitch of the bend

0:55 - this bend should have a vibrato

0:56 - 1:01 - you started this part playing the first note earlier. Also don't make pauses between notes and stretch your fingers. biggrin.gif Don't forget to add vibrato on the last bend.

1:03 - 1:05 - When you go from D to C you need to make a pull-off not a hammer-on as you did in your take.

I will stop writing more details because there are already too many things that need to be fixed. Once we solve these issues, we will speak about accents and strength of picking because we need to achieve different colors for some particular notes. Here we will also talk about the "slap" sound that you mentioned (0:57). It's not audible in your take, but don't worry, I appreciate the fact that you tried to do it. wink.gif

Overall, you made a nice sketch for this lesson. I like the fact that you succeeded in catching a lot of details. That's a really good thing. smile.gif Also, you are right, there is a mistake in the tab of vid 6. Good catch. biggrin.gif

For next time, just try to fix this part of the lesson.

Have a great day!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 28 2024, 02:49 PM
Hi Monica,

I have prepared a take of the FULL lesson smile.gif

I did some work at all the issues that needed to be fixed and I guess I found 1 or 2 new details I had not discovered the first time.

I have also tweeked the tone a little bit. Just dialed back the gain a little bit. I think it sounds less aggressive now. I have tried to play it with my Ibanez. The only problem with the Ibanez is at the very first note at the beginning. That note needs to sounds a long time because it's only at 60bpm and the Ibanez does not have sustain enough to last until the vibrato. So if I'm at higher speed, I can always change to the Ibanez if my beast is too aggressive biggrin.gif

Here's the take:

Analysis:
8: I have made the vibrato more subtle.
10: slides are more audible
17: fixed this note
22: detail (vibrato) which I did not discover the first time
26: I think hammer on and pull off are better now (I need to do both, right?)
40: Here's also a vibrato I did not discover the first time
51: note is little bit muted
1.00: added vibrato wink.gif
1.03: aaaaarghh... I misread your comment. I thought I needed to do a hammer on but i needs the be a pull off!! I will fix this the next time wink.gif
1.10: the past days these upward vibrato's worked better then today.
1.14: wrong note
1.25: this note did not want to be played biggrin.gif
1.41 - 2.14: this part was going very good today. Except for the last bend (I need to search for the correct pitch). But satisfied about the last part.

So probably a lot that needs to be polished but let me use your words... I think I'm going in a good direction, hahahahaha.

I'm satisfied with how this take already sounds after just a few weeks of practice.

Now time to start polishing and fixing issues wink.gif

I await instructions!! tongue.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 28 2024, 05:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 28 2024, 01:49 PM) *
Hi Monica,

I have prepared a take of the FULL lesson smile.gif

I did some work at all the issues that needed to be fixed and I guess I found 1 or 2 new details I had not discovered the first time.

I have also tweeked the tone a little bit. Just dialed back the gain a little bit. I think it sounds less aggressive now. I have tried to play it with my Ibanez. The only problem with the Ibanez is at the very first note at the beginning. That note needs to sounds a long time because it's only at 60bpm and the Ibanez does not have sustain enough to last until the vibrato. So if I'm at higher speed, I can always change to the Ibanez if my beast is too aggressive biggrin.gif

Here's the take:

Analysis:
8: I have made the vibrato more subtle.
10: slides are more audible
17: fixed this note
22: detail (vibrato) which I did not discover the first time
26: I think hammer on and pull off are better now (I need to do both, right?)
40: Here's also a vibrato I did not discover the first time
51: note is little bit muted
1.00: added vibrato wink.gif
1.03: aaaaarghh... I misread your comment. I thought I needed to do a hammer on but i needs the be a pull off!! I will fix this the next time wink.gif
1.10: the past days these upward vibrato's worked better then today.
1.14: wrong note
1.25: this note did not want to be played biggrin.gif
1.41 - 2.14: this part was going very good today. Except for the last bend (I need to search for the correct pitch). But satisfied about the last part.

So probably a lot that needs to be polished but let me use your words... I think I'm going in a good direction, hahahahaha.

I'm satisfied with how this take already sounds after just a few weeks of practice.

Now time to start polishing and fixing issues wink.gif

I await instructions!! tongue.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Today your "beast" sounds less aggressive but we will see how things will work when you will play the lesson at a higher speed. wink.gif

It's good that you learned the entire lesson but....on the phrasing and dynamics lessons it's a better approach to split them into pieces. tongue.gif
They contain a million details and if we do not work piece by piece, the result will not achieve our expectations. Maybe the melody sounds simple, but this lesson is much harder than it sounds.

Your analysis is correct. Let's see what I find in your take. biggrin.gif

0:14 - 0:17 - these notes aren't played in a good timing. You delayed both D notes (G string) and the A note (D string). Be very careful how the melody sounds from the rhythmical point of view.
Also, at 0:17 when you play the D note (G string/ Fret 7), respect the length of the note. It must be played shorter, with a stronger accent and don't forget to stop the note with your right hand. Before the slide, we need a perfect silent.

0:22 - when you change from G to F (B string), you need to play these notes more glued. Don't make a pause between them. Avoid keeping the pinky and ring finger on the same fret when you make the bend. Each finger should stay on a fret. In this way, you will not be forced to make a "jump" with your hand.

0:27 - after the pull-off you delayed the D note ( G string)

0:31 - this pull-off should sound more sweet. Don't make it so aggressive. Be more gentle when you pull-off the string and don't press with the index finger too hard (avoid creating there a hammer-on sound).

0:38 - don't let the string slip at the end of the bend.

0:46 - 0:49 - wrong timing. You need to play these notes faster. Be very careful at the melody. You are completely off beat.

1:06 - 1:07 - the G and A notes must be played without slide. After you play the A note you should make a short backward slide (as you see in the main video). Also, when you make the upstroke on the A note, add more force because we need a strong accent here.

1:09 - 1:32 - this part doesn't sound good because you didn't give you enough time to get used to play on those higher frets. Also, be very careful when you make the vibratos to not go out of the pitch.

1:45 - wrong pitch of the bend

1:49 - this bend also has a wrong pitch

1:51 and 1:54 - the double notes with vibrato. I can notice that you tried to add a vibrato and you are going in a good direction. You need to make this vibrato a little more audible.

1:56 - make this raking more audible. You need to add more strength when you hit the strings. Push very hard with the pick on the strings.

2:02 - this raking also needs to sound more strong.

2:10 - 2:13 - you played these notes too square and also you not respected their value. Be careful because Darius plays some notes shorter and he also stops the sound with the right hand. In the soloing lessons, some details and ornaments will sound different played at a very slow tempo. That's why I advise you to always take as reference the main video from the lesson. In this way, it will be much easier for you to catch them. wink.gif

I think I have already pointed out too many details. We can't enter today into dynamics details, because there are many more things to do before. Let's first make you able to manage the timing in a good way.

To understand how hard this lesson is, imagine that at this moment we spoke about 50% of the details that you will need to learn and play. biggrin.gif
Hahaha...don't worry, this lesson will be like a walk in Jurassic Park. laugh.gif

You did a nice work today (yes....you are going in a good direction biggrin.gif ). I like the fact that you fixed a lot of things that I pointed out last week. That is really awesome. smile.gif

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 7 2024, 03:50 PM
Hi Monica,

I have prepared a take of the first part of this lesson. I broke to up into pieces tongue.gif

Analysis:
11: 1 note was a little blocked
40: Maybe let the bended note ring longer and more subtle vibrato?

I think it's an improvement compared to the first 2 takes.

Let me know if there're some more issues that needed to be attended smile.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 7 2024, 05:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 7 2024, 02:50 PM) *
Hi Monica,

I have prepared a take of the first part of this lesson. I broke to up into pieces tongue.gif

Analysis:
11: 1 note was a little blocked
40: Maybe let the bended note ring longer and more subtle vibrato?

I think it's an improvement compared to the first 2 takes.

Let me know if there're some more issues that needed to be attended smile.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Great to see that you split the lesson. biggrin.gif

From what I see, you fixed some of the issues. That is awesome!!! You did a great job today. smile.gif

Now let's analyze your take:

0:10 - review the picking direction. In this lesson, each pick matter. So... it is very, very important to use the same picking direction because it's a very audible difference between upstroke and downstroke. To make this lesson sound good, we need maximum attention on each pick.

0:18 - 0:19 - wrong picking direction

0:34 - wrong picking direction

0:21 - this bend doesn't have a perfect pitch

0:23 - wrong timing. The first F note (B string/ fret 6) is played a little earlier.

0:31 - I still don't like how sound this pull off. Be very careful how you execute this and avoid pulling the string down with your index finger because it sounds out of pitch. You need to stretch your fingers a little more and don't pull the string too hard with your pinky finger. Be more gentle and also minimize your finger movement.
When you execute the vibrato with the index finger, it should be a very subtle one (don't use a wide movement). We don't need there an aggressive vibrato.

0:40 - this bend doesn't have a correct pitch

0:42 - wrong picking direction

0:50 - wrong picking direction

0:56 - wrong pitch of the bend

1:04 - the B note (B string/ fret 12) should be played with upstroke. We need here the sound of an upstroke.

For next time, please review the entire picking direction from this part of the lesson and try to fix all the details that I pointed out.
Also, this time I need you to take a look at the accents. Watch at Darius' right hand and also listen to the track very carefully. Try to figure out which notes are played with accents (strong pick) and which notes are played very softly (Darius' right hand will tell you the answers).
I want to let you first spot all these details (before I point them out tongue.gif ). We need to test and push your skills more and more. smile.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 23 2024, 01:14 PM
Hi Monica,

The next episode of this A-minor lesson with more details ten stars in the sky tongue.gif

I have tried to fix the problems you've pointed out and I have also tried to identify the dynamics in the first part of this lesson.

Here's the take:

Analysis:
31: the pull off is better then last time although the note does not sound good enough
36: not a good pitch (too low)
51: raking must be stronger and the vibrato sounds out of tune
55: pitch too high
58: pitch also too high

I guess you'll find many more mistakes biggrin.gif

Have a good day!

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 23 2024, 03:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 23 2024, 12:14 PM) *
Hi Monica,

The next episode of this A-minor lesson with more details ten stars in the sky tongue.gif

I have tried to fix the problems you've pointed out and I have also tried to identify the dynamics in the first part of this lesson.

Here's the take:

Analysis:
31: the pull off is better then last time although the note does not sound good enough
36: not a good pitch (too low)
51: raking must be stronger and the vibrato sounds out of tune
55: pitch too high
58: pitch also too high

I guess you'll find many more mistakes biggrin.gif

Have a good day!

Gert

Hi Gert!

This new episode seems to be more interesting due to the details involved. biggrin.gif

Your analysis is almost correct. Now let's spot some more details that need additional polishing.

First of all, let's speak about your tone. I never thought that I would say this but as a first step....try to add a little more gain to it (but just a tiny bit). biggrin.gif Be very careful how much you move the knob.
The correct proportion of gain will be when the accented notes played (stronger picking) will sound much more powerful and will literally scream and the very softer notes played will have a kind of "clean" sound and will lose some treble.
Let's see how your tone will sound with more gain and then we will discuss if we need to add more treble and presence (judging after the fact that you have humbucker neck pickup).

0:05 - in your take this bend touched the correct pitch only when you started to vibrate the note.

0:21 - 0:23 - you rushed the notes which are played after the bend.

0:36 - 0:38 - after you execute the first bend, don't make pause between this bend and the G note (B string/ fret 8). This part should sound more glued. To make this happen you need to put your ring finger (the one that makes the bend) a little closer to the fret (right side).

0:55 - you said that this bend is too high but actually is lower than it should be. tongue.gif You touch for a moment the correct pitch and then you start to lower the pitch.

0:57 - 0: 59 - don't make pause between these phrases. Move your hand at the last moment.

1:05 - 1:06 - the last two notes need a more glued sound. Don't play them shorter than they are.

Pay more attention to the slides because some are audible and some aren't. The additional gain in the tone will help you in this area, but also the technique matter. Approach them in the same way as you did in the winter ballad lesson.

Dynamics - I can see that you succeeded in spotting some of the accents. That's really awesome!!! smile.gif
Now, you need to play the softer notes much softer then you did in this take. At this moment your take contains a few stronger notes and normal notes played. We need to get more colors. This time I want you to spot all the soft notes played by Darius. When you execute them, control your right hand and touch the string very softly with the pick. The task is to make visible the difference between strong, normal and soft notes.

Overall, you did a great work and I'm very proud of you. smile.gif

For next time, remain at the same part of the lesson and try to fix all the issues that we both pointed out.

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 3 2024, 02:19 PM
Hello Monica,

Here's a new take on the first part of the lesson. I have paid attention to the dynamics this time and I have raised the gain a little bit.

Here's the take:

Analysis:
8: this slide should be more audible
25: The pull of should be better
52: the vibrato sounds out of tune
56: note is not clear enough

I think it's a different take then the last one due to the dynamics smile.gif

Curious to hear your comment wink.gif

Have a nice weekend!

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 3 2024, 03:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 3 2024, 01:19 PM) *
Hello Monica,

Here's a new take on the first part of the lesson. I have paid attention to the dynamics this time and I have raised the gain a little bit.

Here's the take:

Analysis:
8: this slide should be more audible
25: The pull of should be better
52: the vibrato sounds out of tune
56: note is not clear enough

I think it's a different take then the last one due to the dynamics smile.gif

Curious to hear your comment wink.gif

Have a nice weekend!

Gert

Hi Gert!

You paid attention to dynamics and I can say that today you came up with a really beautiful take. I'm very, very proud of you!!! smile.gif

I really like the fact that you spotted and started to manage the notes that should be played very softly. Also, I love how you made that crescendo between the notes from 0:16 - 0:18 (these A, C and D notes were played with perfect dynamics). smile.gif

The only thing that I would like you to do, is to play the accented notes even much stronger. We need to make a very huge contrast between the notes played soft, normal and strong.

0:11 - this raking and the bend should be played more powerfully. Here we need a strong accent.

0:35; 0:43; 0:51 - in these spots we need the same thing....a stronger accent on each raking and bend.

As you see, I didn't have many things to complain about. biggrin.gif You did an awesome work!!!

For next time, keep the same kind of dynamics but add more force to the accented notes. Also, you can now add the last part of the lesson. Of course, for the end part, you need to detect and play with the same dynamics as is played in the lesson. wink.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 20 2024, 02:14 PM
Hello Monica,

I have prepared a new take and for the first time of the full lesson at 60bpm!

Analysis:
18: unwanted noise
50: again unwanted noise
57: pitch harmonic instead of normal note biggrin.gif
1.08 - 1.40: For me the most difficult part of the lesson. I have practiced this part much and I have tried to pay attention to the subtle notes before the bending. De bending are played stronger. Also I have tried to pay attention to your comment from the first take to not go out of tune with the bendings.
1.38: little stuck on this note here
1.40 - 1.48: I have tried to apply strong raking
1.49 - 1.56: The vibrato's on the high E and B-string need more work. I think I cut the sound (staccato) and that's not suppose to happen. It should be more legato.

Ok, enough work for you to analyse this take biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 20 2024, 02:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 20 2024, 01:14 PM) *
Hello Monica,

I have prepared a new take and for the first time of the full lesson at 60bpm!

Analysis:
18: unwanted noise
50: again unwanted noise
57: pitch harmonic instead of normal note biggrin.gif
1.08 - 1.40: For me the most difficult part of the lesson. I have practiced this part much and I have tried to pay attention to the subtle notes before the bending. De bending are played stronger. Also I have tried to pay attention to your comment from the first take to not go out of tune with the bendings.
1.38: little stuck on this note here
1.40 - 1.48: I have tried to apply strong raking
1.49 - 1.56: The vibrato's on the high E and B-string need more work. I think I cut the sound (staccato) and that's not suppose to happen. It should be more legato.

Ok, enough work for you to analyse this take biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Very, very nice take!!! What you did today is a piece of a really great work. smile.gif
I love the fact that we can hear now a good contrast between soft and strong notes. That's awesome!!!

Your analysis is correct. Besides the details that you pointed out, there are not many things for me to add. biggrin.gif

0:16 - 0:17 - be careful of timing. You played the D note (string G /fret 7) a little late.

1:46 - wrong pitch of the bend.

1:53 - be very careful at this bend and keep your ring finger very firmly on E note (E string / fret 12).

That's all. I really enjoyed your take. For next time, you can raise the tempo. biggrin.gif

Have a great day!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:18 PM