> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Offa's Thread, for gab's army
Offa
May 31 2016, 05:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Gabriel!

i am back from vacation! Without guitar, i spent some time thinking about playing and learning guitar. ...so i have a question you might answer. What do you think is a very good approach to learn GMC Lessons? I think, that i am not very good when it comes to memorize new stuff. I usually try to learn one lesson part in 1-2 days...after that i do the same with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th. ...until i can play all parts. Normally it takes a whole week to memorize a new lesson. I am not sure if this is an effective way. Instead i could learn e.g. 3 lesson parts at the same time, but this could be quite confusing i think... so i never tried it. There is another point. Your guitar plan is a set with 4-5 lessons. This is a lot of fun but also a lot to learn, but how? What do you think? You told so many students, is there a most effective way you can tell?

Jan -Offa-

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 1 2016, 04:01 PM
Instructor
Hi Offa, welcome back!

Well, I think that your approach to learn a lesson is totally effective. It's much better to work on 1 part each 1/2 days instead of trying to learn the whole thing in 2 days. Taking 1 week to learn a lesson is a good amount of time, then, depending on your level and the lesson's level you'll need 1 or maybe many weeks to master it.

When working on many lessons at the same time, the method should be the same or at least similar. Let's suppose that you decide to learn 3 lessons the next 15 days... this is just an example on how to organize yourself:

Day 1: Learn part 1 from lesson 1 and part 1 of lesson 2.
Day 2: Review part 1 from lessons 1 and 2 and learn part 1 from lesson 3.
Day 3: Review parts 1 from each of the lessons.

By the way, each person and student is different so if you feel that learning more than 2 lessons at the same time is too much, we can review the routine.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Offa
Jun 12 2016, 10:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 1 2016, 05:01 PM) *
Hi Offa, welcome back!

Well, I think that your approach to learn a lesson is totally effective. It's much better to work on 1 part each 1/2 days instead of trying to learn the whole thing in 2 days. Taking 1 week to learn a lesson is a good amount of time, then, depending on your level and the lesson's level you'll need 1 or maybe many weeks to master it.

When working on many lessons at the same time, the method should be the same or at least similar. Let's suppose that you decide to learn 3 lessons the next 15 days... this is just an example on how to organize yourself:

Day 1: Learn part 1 from lesson 1 and part 1 of lesson 2.
Day 2: Review part 1 from lessons 1 and 2 and learn part 1 from lesson 3.
Day 3: Review parts 1 from each of the lessons.

By the way, each person and student is different so if you feel that learning more than 2 lessons at the same time is too much, we can review the routine.

Hi Gabriel!
Thank you for your advice, in future i will try different approaches. Here i come with some audio tracks. I spent a lot of time, mostly in developing my right hand picking technique. I am much more relaxed now and i play with far less pressure with my fretting hand. Overall, i get better results now, but it will take a lot of time to make improvements. I also found out, that i can pick more precise when i change the grip that is holding the pick. The side of my thumb is now much closer to the tip of the pick.
Sorry, no video for today. Please give me some new stuff!

Rock on!
Jan -Offa-

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Legato_and_Picking.wav ( 11.55MB ) Number of downloads: 75
Attached File  Triads100.wav ( 15.86MB ) Number of downloads: 64
Attached File  Ballad_Soloing.wav ( 23.4MB ) Number of downloads: 63
Attached File  Rhythm_and_Funk.wav ( 19.91MB ) Number of downloads: 78
Attached File  Funk_Jam.wav ( 20.02MB ) Number of downloads: 72

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2016, 12:29 AM
Instructor
Hi Offa! Good job!! I can note that you have been working very hard!

I have a question... would you lose motivation if you dedicate another week to this lesson in order to polish details? I think that you could get much more doing this than working on new lessons, but it depends on how you feel about it too. By details I mean:

- Polish more the picking and legato lessons.
- Working more on bending, vibrato and dynamics on Ballad soloing.
- Working on dynamics and groove on Funk lessons.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Jun 13 2016, 04:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 13 2016, 01:29 AM) *
Hi Offa! Good job!! I can note that you have been working very hard!

I have a question... would you lose motivation if you dedicate another week to this lesson in order to polish details? I think that you could get much more doing this than working on new lessons, but it depends on how you feel about it too. By details I mean:

- Polish more the picking and legato lessons.
- Working more on bending, vibrato and dynamics on Ballad soloing.
- Working on dynamics and groove on Funk lessons.

Hi Gabriel,
ok, i will do my best. You are right, it is hard to have fun because i played the same tunes too often. One week more or less... I think it´s worth it.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2016, 04:59 PM
Instructor
Great! Let's go for it. You don't have to play the whole lessons. In order to polish those elements, I recommend to work on small sections, and dedicate some time to improvise over the backing tracks your own ideas, and variations from the lessons.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Jun 29 2016, 08:24 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 13 2016, 05:59 PM) *
Great! Let's go for it. You don't have to play the whole lessons. In order to polish those elements, I recommend to work on small sections, and dedicate some time to improvise over the backing tracks your own ideas, and variations from the lessons.

Hi Gabriel,

here are some videos showing you my actual playing. There is still some a lot to improve but right now, i cant play these lessons any longer. It´s going to be hard work instead of having fun. I hope you have some fun watching me & thank you for any comment!

Ballad soloing

Funk Rhythm

Legato and Picking

Thirds

Rock on!

Jan -Offa-

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2016, 10:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Offa! Good job! I can see that you've been working VERY hard.

I couldn't open the funk lesson, is the link ok?

I've checked the other 3 lessons. Both the thirds and the picking/legato one are sounding good! You still don't look comfortable while playing it but you are close to be able to play them tight and effortless. I would keep them in the diary routine 1 week more.

The other lesson has more room to work on dynamics, articulation and polish everything to make your playing sound more "tasty". I think that it could be a good idea (and maybe funnier) to dedicate some time of your routine to improvise over this backing using the elements learnt from the lesson.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Jun 30 2016, 11:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 30 2016, 11:48 PM) *
Hi Offa! Good job! I can see that you've been working VERY hard.

I couldn't open the funk lesson, is the link ok?

I've checked the other 3 lessons. Both the thirds and the picking/legato one are sounding good! You still don't look comfortable while playing it but you are close to be able to play them tight and effortless. I would keep them in the diary routine 1 week more.

The other lesson has more room to work on dynamics, articulation and polish everything to make your playing sound more "tasty". I think that it could be a good idea (and maybe funnier) to dedicate some time of your routine to improvise over this backing using the elements learnt from the lesson.

What do you think?

Hi Gabriel,
thank you for your comments! Here is the link for the funk lesson: Funk

O.k....one more week to go! I will spend more time in improvisation. While playing these lessons for 3 months now, my family is going crazy! rolleyes.gif

Rock on!
Jan -Offa-

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2016, 11:12 PM
Instructor
hahaha I don't want your family hate you or me, let's refresh the routine. laugh.gif

HOUR 1:

Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-workout-3/

Legato (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hammer...Pull-Off-Etude/

Phasing/Feeling (Vibrato, bending and dynamics) (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...s-And-Phrasing/

HOUR 2:

Rhythm Work: (15 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funk-Workout/

Scales-Modes Workout / Ear training / Creative Work (30 minutes)
During this block, take the lessons from the phrasing and rhythm parts to work on improvisation. Analyze the scales used on the lessons and use them to build your own phrases. Start with variations of the lessons connected with your own stuff. Record yourself and share it here.

Composition: (15 minutes)
Dedicate this time to random playing and creation.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Sep 27 2016, 10:37 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Gabriel!
I am still alive! Within the past weeks i didnt had too much time to play guitar but i played the lessons you told me regulary.
It took a long time to get the "alternate picking workout 3" into my mind. But now i can play it in "autopilot mode" - without thinking...and that is the key for me. The original tempo is a little bit to fast when it comes to the picking run. It is a little bit frustrating and i don´t make progress anymore.

The "hammer on pull of etude" is also a few bpm too fast at "full speed". Maybe you can give me an advice why i cant pick faster. My right hand seems restricted.

I will do some recordings soon, but first i have to setup my new notebook.

Rock on!
Jan -Offa-

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 1 2016, 12:12 AM) *
hahaha I don't want your family hate you or me, let's refresh the routine. laugh.gif

HOUR 1:

Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-workout-3/

Legato (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hammer...Pull-Off-Etude/

Phasing/Feeling (Vibrato, bending and dynamics) (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...s-And-Phrasing/

HOUR 2:

Rhythm Work: (15 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funk-Workout/

Scales-Modes Workout / Ear training / Creative Work (30 minutes)
During this block, take the lessons from the phrasing and rhythm parts to work on improvisation. Analyze the scales used on the lessons and use them to build your own phrases. Start with variations of the lessons connected with your own stuff. Record yourself and share it here.

Composition: (15 minutes)
Dedicate this time to random playing and creation.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2016, 01:59 AM
Instructor
Hey mate, great to hear from you!!

I'll wait for your videos! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Dec 27 2016, 03:32 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Gabriel!

After months of practise i finally did some new recordings for you! I spent a lot of time to reach the original tempo.
I know, there are some mistakes, but i wanted to finish the video. I really can´t play the etudes any longer.
Please give me some new stuff! biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx8aCYKqCjc Hammer-on Pull-off Etude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ei_9NitAtw Alternate Picking Workout # 3

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2016, 11:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Offa!

Nice to see that you've been working hard on this lessons. The hammer on one needs even more work than the other one, but I think that you playing has been affected in a positive way thanks to the hard work done.

At this point, I think that we should move into a more creative direction and combine musical lessons (that include some technique work as well) with some improvisation work in order to expand your guitar playing.

What do you think? Do you have any new goals or ideas in mind for this new year?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Jan 1 2017, 10:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 31 2016, 12:07 AM) *
Hi Offa!

Nice to see that you've been working hard on this lessons. The hammer on one needs even more work than the other one, but I think that you playing has been affected in a positive way thanks to the hard work done.

At this point, I think that we should move into a more creative direction and combine musical lessons (that include some technique work as well) with some improvisation work in order to expand your guitar playing.

What do you think? Do you have any new goals or ideas in mind for this new year?

Hi Gabriel!
Happy new year! I like your suggestion. Please tell me how to start, i am sure that i will like it!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2017, 02:42 PM
Instructor
This is what I'd like to suggest:

ASSIGNMENT #1:

Goals:

- Phrasing
- Improvisation

TASK 1:

- Work on this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Simple-Aminor-Soloing/

TASK 2:

- Use THIS APPROACH to get the more from the lesson worked on task 1.
- Improvise over the same backing applying the concepts learnt on "Your first phrases".

Submits required:

By January 15th you'll have to share 2 videos:

- A video playing the lesson
- A video applying Kris's video approach over the backing track

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 2 2017, 02:43 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Jan 3 2017, 01:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hello Gabriel,
thank you for some new stuff! I like the lesson you picked and like your approach to challenge me. 11 Days to go...this is not too much time, i hope i can make it.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2017, 07:15 PM
Instructor
We can all it "first call", then we will see if you need a second call to polish.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Jan 15 2017, 11:46 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hello Gabriel,
ok, just in time ...here is my answer! I have a new video for you, and a audio file.
The tune was not very hard to learn, but i have problems with the bendings. I have bladders on 4 fingers and it hurts a lot. Some bendings are not on pitch, and some timing issues as well, but i hope you like it. The Jam audio file is a "first take". I tried to use some diffenrent techniques and tried to build up tension. Yeah, i know, i am not doing very well. :-)

Simple soloing a-minor

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Jam15_01_17.wav ( 18.58MB ) Number of downloads: 66

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2017, 04:34 AM
Instructor
Hi Offa,

this is very good! I can see that you've been working hard on this one. Here are some things to have in mind during the next days of practice.

- You need to adjust the pitch of your bending starting with the one on fret 7 of the third string. Isolate this one, and the others, play the target note (without note, in this case fret 9th) and then bend to it. Repeat this idea many times every day before and after you play the whole lesson.

- Your vibrato needs some attention. Sometimes it's weak, while other times, you start it too early and the notes sound like nervous. Remember to let the note sound and then add vibrato gradually, to make it sound as a natural part of the note.

- Finally, the third element to improve, but not the most urgent is timing. It's not bad, but you could go better with the groove of the track.

Your improvisation is a good first one. The more you improve your bending and vibrato techniques, the better your improv will sound, so keep on working on both things.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 09:41 PM