Amp Settings
Star250
Jul 20 2007, 09:30 AM
GMC:er
I've been playing for a while and never really bothered with my Amp settings all that much until i started learning Pinch Harmonics. I was never able to get those crazy low PH until just recently when I changed my Amp settings, and now everything sounds great.

Anyway could someone give be a quick description of what the knobs do and maybe even post your favorite settings for certain situations so I could try them out?

(I have a 6 Line spider II 30watt, Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, Chan Vol)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mer-V
Jul 20 2007, 01:07 PM
As for the knobs:

Drive: The ammount of distortion you want to add you your current channel, this makes for a more 'rocking' sound.
Bass: Controls the lowrange frequencies.
Mid: Conrols the midrange frequencies.
Treble: Controls the highrange frequencies.
Chan Vol: Controls the overal volume of your current channel.

Now these desciptions might now be 100% accurate (I don't own the amp so I can't actually test it), but the knobs you described are pretty similar to the knobs featured on almost all amps. As for the favorite settings, I don't really know much about that, but I'm sure it can be found on the internets. Watch out with one thing though, adding to much distortion to your channel will most likely ruin your sound if you are not specifically playing music which intentionally uses max distortion.

Cheers, MerV

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Star250
Jul 20 2007, 02:21 PM
What is a channel? and how does Chan Vol differ from Master vol?

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jul 23 2007, 07:29 AM
Hey man,

I have a few suggestions for you. I'll just make the knobs as reference to a 1-10 scale. Keep in mind that depending on your amp, you may want to change these a tad (unless you have a peavey 112 lol).

80's metal:
Distortion: 6
Bass: 10
Mid: 3
Treb: 5.5

Solo Blues:
Also, turn the volume of your guitar to about 1/10 of it's volume. This cleans it up nicely, and turn the volume of your amp up. Also, use the neck pickups
Distortion: 6
Bass: 6
Mid: 9.5
Treb: 6
Reverb: 5-6

Dimebag Darrel
Gain: 7
Treble: 10
Mid: 4
Bass: 9

Kirk Hammett
Gain: 9
Bass: 7
Mids: 2
Treble: 10
Reverb: 3

Red Hot Chili Peppers - John Frusciante
Soft Rock songs (eg. Under the Bridge, Californication)
Bass: 6
Mid: 2
Treble: 8
Reverb: 7
Clean

I hope these will help you out, and sound good on your amp. cool.gif

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Jul 24 2007, 01:30 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:55 AM