3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Metal Help Thread, possibly to END all Metal related recs
Smikey2006
Oct 5 2008, 06:46 PM
GMC:er
sooo many bands ive never heard of biggrin.gif im excited.. ill throw out a death metal band to the mix because i just found them

Born of Osiris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 5 2008, 06:50 PM
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Oct 5 2008, 05:24 PM) *
I'm looking for power metal bands with similar styles to galneryus, sonata arctica, versailles...Any ideas? smile.gif

I've always heard people compare Galneryus to these bands so check em out.

Adagio (Fra)
Manticora
Brainstorm
Lord Weird Slough Feg
Grave Digger

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 5 2008, 07:15 PM
Mark: To your doom request, I check out Novembre and Rapture. Novembre are a bit special, and you either love them or hate them, and Rapture are solid doom/death but not that super special. Some of their songs are great though, so you should check them out at least. Start with either "Songs for the Withering" or "Futile".

Also, since you didn't mind it being blackish, check out Ikuinen Kaamos and Wolves in the Throne Room. Wolves in the throne room is a big stretch maybe, but I need to recommend these to as many as possible, since they are probably my favoruite band right now.

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Oct 5 2008, 07:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Oct 5 2008, 09:11 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (superize @ Oct 5 2008, 01:50 PM) *
Axenstar, Insania, Luca turillis dreamquest

Already knew those as well tongue.gif

But didn't know most that vinceG said, will check them out.

Thanks everyone smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 6 2008, 06:57 AM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Oct 5 2008, 12:08 AM) *
Burning Witch and Thorrs Hammer would be your best bet dude. Sunn O))) might also work for you but thats more on the Drone side.

QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Oct 5 2008, 03:47 AM) *
Check out Esoteric, I couldn't find anythiong on youtube with it, but it's great stuff.

Also, check out early Katatonia if you haven't already.

thanks for the recommendations fellas, I already know about most of those bands, but Thorr's Hammer is new to me. I think I love them now smile.gif

QUOTE (Mark. @ Oct 5 2008, 06:21 AM) *
I'm looking for some more bands like Opeth/Katatonia/Agalloch/Ulver. Need to have the doomy, atmospheric feel but still remain brutal or dark ( not the goth way but the black metal way ). Also having some good lyrics would be a + smile.gif

I know a few bands u might like. October Tide (side project of two of the guys from Katatonia) and Akercocke. I just happened to stumble upon Akercoke's lastest album, The Antichrist, and i swear, they sound like Agalloch, and Opeth all got together and had babies. Its a beautiful effort worth checking out biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mark.
Oct 6 2008, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Oct 5 2008, 08:15 PM) *
Mark: To your doom request, I check out Novembre and Rapture. Novembre are a bit special, and you either love them or hate them, and Rapture are solid doom/death but not that super special. Some of their songs are great though, so you should check them out at least. Start with either "Songs for the Withering" or "Futile".

Also, since you didn't mind it being blackish, check out Ikuinen Kaamos and Wolves in the Throne Room. Wolves in the throne room is a big stretch maybe, but I need to recommend these to as many as possible, since they are probably my favoruite band right now.

I'm checking out the bands now for so far I love Rapture, Novembre is something I feel I can get into but at the first listen the clean part sounds a bit to goth/modern I don't really know how to describe it. Maby if I check them out more I might begin to like them. Gonna see what the other bands are now.

- Ikuinen Kaamos is awsome so far really awsome stuff. Wolves in the throne room is also great. Still liked rapture the most so far tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Mark.: Oct 6 2008, 03:30 PM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 6 2008, 03:26 PM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Oct 5 2008, 06:50 PM) *
I've always heard people compare Galneryus to these bands so check em out.

Adagio (Fra)
Manticora
Brainstorm
Lord Weird Slough Feg
Grave Digger

Adagio are great smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Mark.
Oct 6 2008, 03:37 PM
QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Oct 6 2008, 07:57 AM) *
thanks for the recommendations fellas, I already know about most of those bands, but Thorr's Hammer is new to me. I think I love them now smile.gif

I know a few bands u might like. October Tide (side project of two of the guys from Katatonia) and Akercocke. I just happened to stumble upon Akercoke's lastest album, The Antichrist, and i swear, they sound like Agalloch, and Opeth all got together and had babies. Its a beautiful effort worth checking out biggrin.gif

October Tide is freaking awsome listened to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLksJAsS34 guitar sounds a bit like Opeth in the Orchid/Morningrise period which are their best albums imo. And the vocals are just brutal!
Akercocke well just as with novembre they have a part which I already really like and a part which I feel I can get into got to check them out more to decide if I like them or not tongue.gif

- Typo : Orcid instead of Orchid! nowai!Dx

This post has been edited by Mark.: Oct 6 2008, 03:46 PM

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 12 2008, 09:32 AM
Hmm, I dont know if anyone can help me here, but I am looking for French Black Metal bands in the same league as Arkhon Infaustus. Heavy brutality, almost bordering Death Metal, but still keeping the evilness on the slow side.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 12 2008, 07:24 PM
Hmm, French Black Metal...
Blut aus Nord, Belketre, and Glorior Belli and the only bands that come to mind, they might not be exactly what you're looking for though =/

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 12 2008, 09:35 PM
Nah, not quite. I already know those bands smile.gif

I already found a few so its all good anyway. Thanks

Is it just me or does Blut Aus Nord sound a bit like Burzum Hvis Lyset Tar Oss/Filosofem?

This post has been edited by VinceG: Oct 12 2008, 09:36 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 13 2008, 05:38 AM
Yeah, Blut aus Nord does sound a little like Burzum's earlier work, because of the atmosphere and low production, but Burzum has a much raw sounding atmosphere and his sense of ambiance (it wasn't as obvious as it was on later albums)
Now you've got me looking for my old Burzum CDs, hopefully i didn't pack them in a different box than my other CDs

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 27 2008, 08:16 AM
Anyone know any recent, possibly the last 5 years, that does decent Black Thrash/Death Thrash?

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 27 2008, 10:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Oct 5 2008, 07:15 PM) *
...... Novembre are a bit special, and you either love them or hate them, ....

Thank you! You just made my week! Novembre is awesomeeeehh!!
Espacially if all their songs sound more or less like This one

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 27 2008, 01:21 PM
Get the albums "The Blue" and "Materia", they are a lot in that style. And yeah, their songs kind of mostly sound like that laugh.gif

Edit: Materia is a bit different from the blue though, and the song you linked is from the blue. Materia is the best though tongue.gif imo

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Oct 27 2008, 01:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Oct 28 2008, 10:59 PM
QUOTE (VinceG @ Oct 27 2008, 02:16 AM) *
Anyone know any recent, possibly the last 5 years, that does decent Black Thrash/Death Thrash?

what a coincidence, I just started getting into Blackened Thrash, but I've only had a chance to listen to Destroyer 666, Toxic Holocaust, and Skeletonwitch. Try Witchmaster, I just learned about them, but I've heard good things.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Oct 29 2008, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the Witchmaster!

Also, listen to Sauron (US) Fullmetal_TMD. There from around here in Michigan and they play some mighty crusty blackened thrash!

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post
VinceG
Dec 31 2008, 08:43 AM
I should bump this haha.

I hope someone can help me on this stuff. Any band similar to early Carcass/Repulsion/Terrorizer/Napalm Death style Death/Grind. The only band I know that does this stuff is Nasum that comes close to the grindcore side more than the death metal side.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:23 AM